4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 6:57 AM by danceonvideo

Capture footage Canon Vixia HV40?

danceonvideo

I captured footage from the Canon Vixia HV40 camcorder in Pro CS 5.5 setting general preferences to "match source" on video and audio and "HDV" in project presets - the footage is in my project as  1440 1080 mpeg files. (1.33333).  I can drag a clip into the source window, set in and out points but it won't let me drag it into the Program window or the Timeline and Pro crashes and shuts down.  (Pro crashes and generates an error report, not my computer - a Mac- that crashes)

Are these files too big?  They are dance videos and some of the clips run 25 minutes non stop. (but there are only 7 files not all that long and my cojmputer says I have plenty of disc space) . Also there seems to be no Timeline audio and video tracks available even though the program preferences are set for 3 tracks nor can  I add tracks (greyed out) nor select the Timeline.

The file info says they have been captured in the above codec and are NTSC.  I am pretty sure the camera menu was set to HDV when filmed.  With no preferences made to interlaced or progressive or pal.... and since I selected match source would it make a difference if the video was shot in one codec and captured in another?  Even though as I said, I chose "match source"...

anyone advise?  dance on video

• 1. Re: Capture footage Canon Vixia HV40?
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have a sequence open in the Timeline panel?  If not, that would be why you can't drag from the Source Monitor to the Program Monitor or the Timeline panel.

Jeff

• 2. Re: Capture footage Canon Vixia HV40?
            danceonvideo Level 1

I go back to the earliest Premiere Pro - what is this sequence thing you

are talking about? I have no sequences - it says that at the top of the

Timeline in tiny print and when I clock on the x my Timeline closes.  Plus

when I go to Sequences (at the top) everythin is grayed out.  And there are

no audio or video tracks in my Timeline and I cannot add tracks - that is

grayed out too.

I captured using device control and my files are mpeg movie 1440x 1080

(1.3333)  29.97 frame rate  some audio settings are 48000Hz compressed and

some say 16 bit.  All "Capture settings" boxes next to the file name are

checked except one and all have a little box that says "good" all are

online except one offline.  (all this info in the project window above the

clip window)   When I captured I chose HDV (choice was HDV/DV)  and "match

source" because I was not sure which HDV - pal, interlaced, progressive, 23

fps, 24 fps it was shot at.  (This camera is not mine and was given to me

at the last moment to shoot dance video.*  Later* I explored the various

settings and codecs in the camera menu and perhaps had I accidently changed

the camera settings then captured footage which was shot at different

settings would this be causing the problem.

Another thought I had - do I have to import these video files in Media

Encoder and make low res copies for editing?  I started to do that and

according to the info in the file queue these are H.264  (under "Format")

and under "Preset" it says HDTV 720p 24 high quality.  Is this what they

Are suggesting I low res these files down to?  I'm too afraid to do it.

Then there is this:  NOT grayed out in Pro is the option to "Clear Capture

settings"  should I do this?

Or Modify -"interpret footage"?

Or this issue: when I set up general and scratch discs I just went with the

default. Do you think my scratch disc is somewhere where it shouldn't be?

Maybe I should just dump all the footage and start again.

BTW rooting around www I found that CS5.5 does support Vixeo HV 40 cameras

and mpeg video.    Do you think it is my capture card? This is an imac

10.6.8 OS X but I just looked at my capture card in my imac about this

computer - its a Radeon  HD 4670 and its resolution is 1920x1080. Is this

the problem?  Is my graphic card the same as my capture card?  Firewire -

800 Mb/sec.

any thoughts? And THANK YOU  - are you a professional editor?

• 3. Re: Capture footage Canon Vixia HV40?
              joe bloe premiere Level 5

I go back to the earliest Premiere Pro -

what is this sequence thing you are talking about?

Really?

Try this:

DragAndDropCS6.png

Your Timeline Panel will be empty until you create a sequence.

• 4. Re: Capture footage Canon Vixia HV40?
                danceonvideo Level 1

OMG it WORKED! THANK YOU.... I was resigned to dumping footage and starting

again!  Letme tell you I have been online reading tech support and also

Premiere Pro Bible and I never came across this as a means to opening clip

in Program/Timeline windows!  I learned Premiere on one of the earliest

versions where you just drag clip into Program window.... I even spoke to a

former professional editor ( a Final Cut guy) who thought it might have

been - because FC does this automatically on capture - an issue of making

hi-res clips low-res...

But why would this make Premiere crash?  Would attempting to drag a clip

directly into Program window do that?  Fingers crossed.  Thank you again!

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM, joe bloe premiere <forums_noreply@adobe.com