8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 3:59 PM by Netcommercial

3D rotate around a circle preset ae6

Netcommercial Level 1

Hello thanks for looking in..

I am messing with the (3D rotate around a circle) preset in AE6 and if you notice that the Browse Preset feature shows the 3D text completing a circle.. Yet, When I create a text layer, apply the preset effect there is a gap from the end of my last word typed to the start of the word typed.

IE: TV Bug TV Bug TV Bug TV Bug  (space) beginning of TV Bug instead of looking as the preset does in Browse Presets. TV Bug in a complete circle and spaced evenly.

I hope this is making sense...I want the "g" in Bug to be spaced as a contiunued circle, so that Last "g" in Bug should butt up to the first "T" in TV. As it stands now I type it out and apply the preset and there is a huge space between the last "g" in Bug and the first "T" in TV.

What do I need to mess with too get the ends to meet?

I added a couple of pics to help describe:

First one is the preset

circle 3d.PNG

2nd one is my challnege of the ends not meeting

tv bug.PNG

Thanks again

NC

• 1. Re: 3D rotate around a circle preset ae6
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Font size, kerning, radius, any or all of the above.

• 2. Re: 3D rotate around a circle preset ae6
            Netcommercial Level 1

Hi RG thanks for Hopp'in here. I am not sure where radius is? Is that done via the grab bars on the box the font is contained in, on the comp screen?

I will try Kerning that out. Funny how the preset sample shows only a few words to get it to wrap, as I added more I am only halfway around.

Please, share with me where to find Radius control?

Thank you

NC

• 3. Re: 3D rotate around a circle preset ae6

Select your text layer. Press UU to reveal all properties that are not at their default settings. You'll quickly see that the key to this preset is a mask shape. Open up the mask shape properties and adjust the size of the mask to set the radius of the circle. Another option is to temporarily reset X rotation to 0º and then edit the mask manually.

Screen Shot 2013-04-17 at 8.41.50 AM.png

Pressing the u key twice is the best way do dissect a preset. It instantly shows you what's going on.

• 4. Re: 3D rotate around a circle preset ae6
                Netcommercial Level 1

RG thanks again for hopping in here. You are a great help and I am thankful to have you perusing these forums.  I did get it to work. Although I do have a question or two about adding one keyframe to create a seemless loop.

1. I add one frame via End > Page Down. However, I am unclear on where to park the last keyframe to make it a seemless loop? I ended up adjusting the First Margin on that effect to get it to start at the point I desire and then hit END to place the last KeyFrame. I of course made my last keyframe spot on where it starts as to not have a "Jump" in text when it restarts.....

2. The other thing is the effect on that goes from one speed and slows to a stop and then of course starts again when going back to the beginning. I used Ease In and Ease out however I do not have control over the speed. IE: One speed throughout... Any suggestions on that one RG?

Regards

NC

• 5. Re: 3D rotate around a circle preset ae6

This preset animates the First Margin Offset. An easy ease has been applied. You can remove the easy ease by selecting all the keyframes and then hold down the Cmnd/Ctrl key and clicking on any keyframe in the timeline.

If you want a seamless loop to create a continuous constant speed carousel effect then what I'd do is just delete all keyframes and start over. I would pick one of your characters and set that character's initial position. Then reveal the rulers and drag a marker out to just touch the edge of the letter. Now move to the time in the time line where you want the first rotation to complete and drag the value of the First Margin Offset until the first letter just touches the edge of the marker. To make a seamless loop out of this back up one frame and set the end of the work area to this spot. Trim the comp to the work area and you will have your loop.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: 3D rotate around a circle preset ae6
                    Netcommercial Level 1

RG,

I think in your latter explanation is what I had done, except I did not remove the Ease out. Are those the sideways hour glass icons on the timeline?

I am unclear on "reveal the rulers" Is that the Grid view? I am sure this is clear to you as you write it. However I am a little lost on the "drag a marker" Is that me to create a Marker? Or is that the Play head marker? Or is Marker a place on the text (anywhere)  I can use to line it up on the comp?  Like using the Grid, selecting a spot for start and end, that is if I have no image in my comp to know where start and end is? Sorry for the long wind or possibley blatently stupid questions on this one. I am trying to figure which way to go on this..

And for a seemless loop it is (Minus) one frame not add one frame. Right? Thanks again for your patience and time.

Regards

NC

• 7. Re: 3D rotate around a circle preset ae6

Try taking a look at this short video. Sorry, didn't have time to narrate but it should give you the Idea

Ctrl/Cmnd + R brings up rulers. Guides can then be placed in comp window. Shift + drag in the First Margin Offset field multiplies the rate of change by 10 so you can get there faster. Ctrl/Cmnd + drag divides the rate by 10 so use that to finnesse position. Use the J and K keys to bounce back and forth from the first and last keyframe. When the first and last keyframe match perfectly backup one frame (page up key) then N key to set out point of work area, then trim comp to work area. EZ as Pie. Seamless loop. This always works with any animation you are trying to loop.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: 3D rotate around a circle preset ae6
                        Netcommercial Level 1

Rick.

Thanks that was helpful. I was not aware of the Rulers... That sure makes things exact. Appreciate it.

Regards

NC