8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2013 2:23 PM by bgkirk

InDesign CS6 freezes with attempts to change printer settings

bgkirk

(This problem also occurs with Photoshop CS6, so I posted to that forum as well. First one to give me a solution gets my undying love and devotion appreciation.)

My employer acquired a Canon 6010 printer with a Fiery print controller last year. I have no problems printing from my personal Windows laptop. 

However, from my employer's iMac (OS X 10.6.8) I get the spinning beach ball of death at least 90% of the time that I open an existing document and attempt to change the printer settings. The only way out is via Force Quit. Inexplicably I can occasionally succeed in changing printer settings without any changes to how I'm attempting to do so.

So far our only semi-consistent work around: create a new document and copy and paste the contents from the existing document. Not cool. But sometimes the app freezes with brand new documents, thus destroying my work around anyway.

Additional Information:

• I have installed all CS6 upgrades.
      • Our technical support contractor recreated the problem and could not find any solution other than the work around.
      • Canon says the problem is with the applications.
      • This happens whether I attempt to change the printer settings immediately or make changes to the document first.
      • It does not matter what other applications are running.
      • Rebooting the system after the app freezes does not make it work.
      • We cannot upgrade past 10.6.8 because of the age of the hardware. But CS6 is supposed to run on Snow Leopard.
      • I have tested this with other applications, including some older Adobe software. It does not happen with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, InDesign CS3, Photoshop CS3, Acrobat 8 Pro, Acrobat 9 Pro or Acrobat XI Pro.
      • This happens whether the documents were created and saved on the Mac or on a Windows computer.
      • Re-saving the documents and/or printer settings does not change the outcome. Once I restart the application Photoshop may remember the paper size, but doesn't remember duplex settings. (From another thread in this forum I suspect a corrupt printer preferences file.)
      • Per the instructions in the other thread I reset the printing preferences by launching the app while holding down shift-control-command. That enabled me to change the printer settings one time. Every subsequent attempt brought back the spinning beach ball.
      • No other employees report similar problems (including a few MacBook users). However, they do not use Photoshop or InDesign, nor do they typically change printer settings.

Sorry if some of that is irrelevant - just trying to give you as much info as possible and tell you what I've tried already. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bonnie

• 1. Re: InDesign CS6 freezes with attempts to change printer settings
          bgkirk Level 1

In one of my bullets I said "Photoshop may remember the paper size...." The same is true for InDesign.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS6 freezes with attempts to change printer settings
            bgkirk Level 1

As of today it's happening with Acrobat Pro as well.

24 hours ago - InDesign locked up when attempting to print anything from a particular InDesign document. So I created a PDF, was able to print from it.

Today - I printed 2 copies from the PDF successfully. Then Acrobat froze when I attempted to print from it. On a whim I tried 1 copy from InDesign. It worked. (Bear in mind I did not reboot the computer.) But now InDesign is freezing up.

Is anyone printing to a Canon via a Fiery print controller?

If not a Canon, printing via Fiery to anything???

• 3. Re: InDesign CS6 freezes with attempts to change printer settings
              Werbung_Nannerl

I have the same problem with almost the same configuration. I use Adobe InDesign CS6 on a MacPro, Mac OSX 10.8.5 and print via Fiery (Fiery System 10e) on a Konica Minolta bizhub c751. In XPress and Acrobat, printing works well in 100% of all attempts, InDesign freezes in about 75% of all printing attempts. Printing the same document after a cold quit in InDesign works in about 50% of all attempts

I think, the cause of the freeze is located somewhere in the communication between InDesign and Fiery, because printing in Acrobat and XPress works.

Did you find any solution yet?

With kind regards

Manuel

• 4. Re: InDesign CS6 freezes with attempts to change printer settings
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

InDesign is somewhat notorious for direct printing issues. I practically never print direct from ID any longer as exporting PDF is more reliable and generally processes faster on the RIP.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS6 freezes with attempts to change printer settings
                  Werbung_Nannerl Level 1

That may be right, but I use InDesign documents as a printing container for various PDFs, because replacing documents is fast and uncomplicated. Writing a PDF of every print job takes a lot of time (of course restarting and trying anew also ;-) and unfortunately XPress hasn't that smart content box handling.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS6 freezes with attempts to change printer settings
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Keep in mind that exporting PDF is a background task now (and for most jobs takes only a few seconds, especially if you use File > Adobe PDF Presets... so you don't need to set up the dialog) so you can do other things at the same time.

In my experience, if exporting a PDF seems like a bottleneck, it usually is faster including the print time, than the wait time while the RIP is processing the .indd file.

• 7. Re: InDesign CS6 freezes with attempts to change printer settings
                      Werbung_Nannerl Level 1

Mh, the documents take just a second to print, because the file contains usually not more than two different labels or pages (sometimes up to four). Also, a MacPro is intended to handle that ;-)

I've tried both methods and it takes definitely more time to write a pdf and print it via Acrobat than to print it directly via InDesign. Until we got our new printer it worked fine, but since we've updated to Fiery10e, InDesign frequently freezes, while other applications run fine.

I  wrote a mail to EFI, maybe the problem is known already.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS6 freezes with attempts to change printer settings
                        bgkirk Level 1

Nanneri, my situation is similar in that creating the PDF and printing from that does take longer than just printing from InDesign and Photoshop.

I finally got a Canon tech rep on site who understood my problem. Though we had tried reinstalling the drivers (as had previous Canon reps), this guy got it right. Neither Photoshop nor InDesign has locked up since - at least not for the Canon 6010. (Photoshop has locked up twice when I've attempted to print to a Canon iPF8300s wideformat that isn't on the Fiery. Restarting PS has fixed that.)

Based on my experience, I would start with new drivers.

FYI: I am having problems printing to a new Canon C7065 that also uses Fiery. But the problems vary and I haven't isolated the factors. Sometimes I get a printed error report. Sometimes it just doesn't print. But no more software lockups.

In our case, I suspected our problems were related to having old hardware that can't be upgraded past OS X 10.6.8, which is the oldest OS compatible with both CS6 and the Fiery. But since you are on a newer OS, and a different printer, I'm beginning to wonder about the Fiery.

Hope you find a solution soon. Keep us posted!