11 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2013 11:19 AM by RjL190365

ATI Video card help

FurqanB

I was wondering which of these video cards are good for adobe Priemer

Ati Radeon HD 7850

and

Ati Radeon HD 7870

Both are 2GB and have crossfire support and multi display support.

-thanks

• 1. Re: ATI Video card help
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

Supported video cards are listed at the bottom of this page:

Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 / Tech specs

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

• 2. Re: ATI Video card help
            Jeff Bellune Level 5

[moved to hardware forum]

• 3. Re: ATI Video card help
              FurqanB Level 1

I looked at the part already, the problem I am facing is that it is listing the supported video cards for GPU acceleration which is listed as 'optional' I am trying to find out is that was could be the minimum GPU required to run the program smoothy.

• 4. Re: ATI Video card help
                RjL190365 Level 4

The current release of Premiere Pro for Windows does not support OpenCL at all for GPU acceleration. Nor does it support more than a single GPU for GPU acceleration. Therefore, you're currently stuck with software-only MPE with the Radeon GPUs in CS6. The next release of Premiere Pro will support OpenCL and dual GPUs.

And with software-only MPE, the HD 7870 performs no faster than integrated Intel GMA 4500 graphics in Premiere Pro. And without hardware MPE GPU acceleration, performance in rendering the timeline and HD-to-SD transcodes is at least 10 times slower (but more typically, 20 times slower) than with hardware MPE GPU acceleration.

As for the minimum GPU requirement, any plain old GPU with 256MB or more RAM would suffice in software-only mode so long as the GPU supports OpenGL (not to be confused with OpenCL) 2.0 or higher. But then again, you'd really need a really fast CPU if you're going to use software-only MPE just to avoid excruciatingly slow performance.

• 5. Re: ATI Video card help
                  FurqanB Level 1

Would one of these card work well when I am using the program though? I dont plan to upgrade to a second card in the future. That was there just as a reference.

• 6. Re: ATI Video card help
                    RjL190365 Level 4

In CS6 and earlier, you'd just be wasting money with a discrete GPU if you're forced to use software-only MPE. In other words, Premiere CS6 or earlier will not utilize the GPU at all in software-only mode.

• 7. Re: ATI Video card help
                      FurqanB Level 1

So a Potential nvidia video card might be the option in order to utilize those features I guess.

• 8. Re: ATI Video card help
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Either of the ATI cards you listed in your 1st message will put a picture on your monitor

No ATI card will use the GPU to help with rendering in the CURRENT version of PPro for Windows

If you don't care about hardware acceleration, or can't afford an nVidia card, an ATI card will put a picture on your monitor

• 9. Re: ATI Video card help
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

FurqanB wrote:

Both are 2GB and have crossfire support and multi display support.

-thanks

Crossfire support is not supported in Premiere Pro, so it is of no value for decision making

• 10. Re: ATI Video card help
                            FurqanB Level 1

Thank you for your feed back. A lot of people are advising a nvidia card. I will start a new discussion regarding nvida cards so people wont get confused.

• 11. Re: ATI Video card help
                              RjL190365 Level 4

RjL190365 wrote:

The next release of Premiere Pro will support OpenCL and dual GPUs.

Unfortunately, CS6 will be the end of the line for retail-boxed releases of the Creative Suite programs, including Premiere Pro. (Unless there is a shift back to boxed programs due to tightening download caps and massively increasing prices for ISPs.) The new version of Premiere will be subscription only (via Creative Cloud). Thus, new GPU support is rendered moot with the cessation of the development of new retail-boxed Creative Suite programs.