1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 17, 2013 1:22 AM by [Jongware]

Converting an InDesign document from English into Mandarin (Chinese)

Pink Piranha

Using a Mac OS X Version 10.7.5. InDesign CS 5.5

A 4 page layout in English needs translating to Mandarin (Chinese). I have been provided the copy in Mandarin in a Word document.

Most of the Word doc looks fine other than a few characters show as rectangles.

I then asked the client to copy and paste each of the four pages into an email, all of the characters showed were in Mandarin.

I then copied and pasted from the email into the InDesign document only to find every character came up as a squares encased in a pink line.

I have reset the settings on the Mac in System Prefs and changed to Chinese (as there's no setting for Mandarin), it has made no difference what so ever.

Apple have advised InDesign has trouble with Asian fonts esp. double bite fonts.

I do not have the seriel number for InDesign on me and therefore Adobe will not assist in this matter.

Can anyone help please?

• 1. Re: Converting an InDesign document from English into Mandarin (Chinese)
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Pink Piranha wrote:

A 4 page layout in English needs translating to Mandarin (Chinese). I have been provided the copy in Mandarin in a Word document.

Most of the Word doc looks fine other than a few characters show as rectangles.

I then asked the client to copy and paste each of the four pages into an email, all of the characters showed were in Mandarin.

I then copied and pasted from the email into the InDesign document only to find every character came up as a squares encased in a pink line.

Apparently the font applied to the text in InDesign does not contain Chinese characters. Select one that does.

I have reset the settings on the Mac in System Prefs and changed to Chinese (as there's no setting for Mandarin), it has made no difference what so ever.

That merely changes the interface, doesn't it? Your documents would not change -- all of your e-mails, for example, are still in English, right?

Apple have advised InDesign has trouble with Asian fonts esp. double bite fonts.

Don't worry about that, Apple doesn't know anything about fonts, advanced typesetting, PDFs, color management ...