4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 6:56 PM by Guy Burns

Markers in the Effect Controls Panel

Guy Burns Level 1

I'm up to page 165 of the Premiere 6 manual, trying to understand markers, and it says:

Create markers in the Effect Controls panel

In the Effect Controls panel, you can view all of the markers that you created in the Timeline panel. You can also add markers to your sequence to designate where you would like to place effects and see the markers as you work in the Effect Controls panel. In addition, you can create and manipulate markers directly in the Effect Controls panel.

1. Drag the playhead to the place where you want to create a marker.

2. Right-click (Windows) or Control-click (Mac OS) in the timeline ruler:

In Premiere Pro CS5.5, and earlier, choose Set Sequence Marker, and then choose the type of marker you want to set.

In Premiere Pro CS6, choose Add Marker, or press the M key.

I follow those instructions to the best of my ability, and nothing appears in the Effect Controls Panel. The previous three paragraphs are labelled as CS5.5 and earlier. I'm wondering if this paragraph should also have been labelled as CS5.5 and earlier.

In CS6, do markers appear in the Effect Controls panel? If they do, how do you get them to appear?

• 1. Re: Markers in the Effect Controls Panel
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

In CS6, do markers appear in the Effect Controls panel?

Yes.  First, make sure you have a clip selected and that the playhead is over the selected clip when you add a marker.  The ECP won't show markers outside the boundaries of the selected clip.  Second, make sure you can see the time ruler section of the ECP.  It's easy to hide the timeline view of the ECP.

Jeff

• 2. Re: Markers in the Effect Controls Panel
            Guy Burns Level 1

Thanks Jeff. My Effect Controls timeline was hidden. I don't remember it even being there, but I suppose it must have been at some stage.

Now, another Marker matter. At the bottom of page 165 it states:

"Move a marker

Do one of the following:

To move a clip marker in a clip that’s in a sequence, open the clip in the Source Monitor and drag the Marker icon in the Source Monitor’s time ruler. (You can’t manipulate clip markers in the Timeline panel)."

This is what I've done:

In the Source Monitor I set up a marker for a particular clip. Three things happen.

1. An empty grey Marker appears above the Timeline in the Source Monitor (that Marker disappears if I move the Playhead).
            2. Two green Markers appeared inside the clip in the Sequence Panel (those Markers stay put).
            3. The Marker details appear in the Marker Panel.

I can cause the Marker to move if I change the In and Out points in the Marker Panel, but I cannot "drag the Marker icon in the Source Monitor’s time ruler." I can't see any Marker, except the empty grey one.

• 3. Re: Markers in the Effect Controls Panel
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Open the wing menu for the frame that contains the Source Monitor and select, "Show Markers".

Jeff

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Markers in the Effect Controls Panel
                Guy Burns Level 1

Thanks Jeff. I thought it would be simple.