10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2013 3:42 PM by EdwurdAdam RSS

Menus read 1 Gb in Build Tab when size is 100 MB. Why

EdwurdAdam Community Member

I know there is a 30 second loop time limit in Encore and it's menus.

I did not like that becuase I like to play full songs over my menus and not have it stop and restart every 30 seconds.

I found a way around that by stretching the menus background in After Effects to meet the length of the song I was going to use.

It works great except for one thing.

When I render a 5 minute background to a menu in After Effects, it comes out to about 1.5 GB. I have 6 of these types menus in my project, so right away there is about 6 GB being used without having Encoded my 2 and a half hour wedding and put that in Encore yet.

This is a lot of space that could be used for making my wedding a little better quality.

So I decided to go back into After Effects and render out a 5 minute background to a menu at a much lower resolution.

It did work and I got it down a lot. almost down to about 100 MB.

I lost a little quality, but not so much that the average viewer would notice it.

I imported it back into Encore, and when I go to the Buid Tab, it still says that it's taking up 1.03 GB.

Why is that? It is just above 100 MB. Not anywhere near 1.03 GB.

Thanks in advance

Premiere Pro CS 5.5

Encore 5.5

After Effects 6.

• 1. Re: Menus read 1 Gb in Build Tab when size is 100 MB. Why
          Stan Jones MVP

I know there is a 30 second loop time limit in Encore and it's menus.

I did not believe that was true. There's a limit to the total size of all menus, motion assets, etc.

Can you use audio only?

• 2. Re: Menus read 1 Gb in Build Tab when size is 100 MB. Why

Hi,

What do you mean "I did not believe that was true?" I wish it was not. The 30 second thing is a real pain.

I want to have video playing in my menus as well as a song. So, Audio only will not do.

Do you know of any way that I can make a 5 minute menu, put it in Encore and hen have it read 100 MB used instead of 1 GB used? Or get the 30 second limit off menus in encore.

Thanks in advance

• 3. Re: Menus read 1 Gb in Build Tab when size is 100 MB. Why
              Stan Jones MVP

Can you give me more info re the loop point limitation? Even if that were true, a loop point is the time before the part of the menu that repeats, which can be longer.

Your problem, in any event, is the 1 Gig limit for menus.

I wonder if you can reduce the size of the menu renders by changing the default transcode settings. But those cannot be changed in an existing project, only set new, and for DVD, all you can do is reduce the max bitrate to 6. So I'm not optimistic about that.

You can try to transcode the menus outside Encore. Encore will re-transcode any menu that has anything other than highlights added or if it is not to spec. I don't know if Encore will re-transcode simply because of a bitrate setting.

• 4. Re: Menus read 1 Gb in Build Tab when size is 100 MB. Why

Hi Stan,

Here is exactly what is happening in my menus.

1) I put a menu in Encore

2) I then import as an asset a song that is 3 minutes

3) I take that song and drag it over to the menu

4) I can see the name of the song and the length of the song on the properties tab in Encore.

5) I then import a QT movie that runs about 40 seconds in length as an asset

6) I put that into the first "Video Drop Zone" in this menu.

7) I make sure animate buttons in checked.

8) I preview the menu and this is what happens:

A) The song and video starts to play like it should

B) After 30 seconds the backgrounnd of the menu turns black.

C) I can still see the video playing and looping in the "Video Drop Zone"

D) When it gets to the end of the song, the Background turns back to normal and the song starts to play again.

E) After 30 seconds the same thing happens again (Background of menu turns black etc...)

So, besides stretching out the background of this menu in After Effects and taking up Gigs of space, is there a way to cahnge the loop time of a menus background for as long as I need it to without going black?

This is how it's done in DVD Studio Pro

Thanks in advance

• 5. Re: Menus read 1 Gb in Build Tab when size is 100 MB. Why
                  Stan Jones MVP

What is the background to your menu before you add the audio/video? It all dissappears?

When the video motion in a menu is shorter than the menu duration length (here set by the long audio), it should display the last frame of the movie until it loops. You may have to burn a disk and play on a DVD player to see this.

See "About menu display time and looping":

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/encore/cs/using/WSF49EA5DB-3743-49c2-9831-F66328B192F8.html#WS AC740C6D-83DE-489e-8B15-5A816A3019C7

If your video background asset is 40 seconds, and the loop point is at 10 seconds, the video will end at its end, which will be at 30 seconds once the menu loops.

• 6. Re: Menus read 1 Gb in Build Tab when size is 100 MB. Why

Hi,

Here is how I do things.

I pick the menu from the Encore Librray and double click it and it goes into the Menu Monitor in Encore. This has a default of 30 seconds. That is Screenshot 1

I then pick my music, Import it as an asset, Drag it right on the menu. The duration of the song is then displayed in the Properties Tab in Encore. Let's say it's a 3 minute song.

I then pick my 35 -40 second Quictime movie that I am going to put into one of the film strip Video Drop Zones. I import it as an asset and then drop it into the menu into one of the drop zones.

I then go to Preview Menu, the menu opens up. I have to render it, after it renders the music starts to play and the videos start to play as well.

After 30 seconds, the Background of the menu goes black. the music and video still plays.  P.S. I did not put a video in the dropzone for this screenshot, but this is exactly what happens.(Screenshot 3).

After the song ends 2 and a half minutes later, the background comes back up, the song starts again and the same thing happens after 30 seconds again.

So, what I am tryng to do is somehow, in Encore, not After Effects, is find away that the background won't go black at the end of 30 seconds when I have a song that is about 3 minutes or 4 minutes, or any length of time over 30 seconds.

Thanks again. I.m be looking out for your thoughts on this.

1) This first screen shot is of the menu with all it's layers when I first put it in Encore.

WholeMenu.jpg

2) This screen shot is only of the background.

JustBackground.jpg

3) The last screen shot is what happens after 30 seconds:

31Secondsin.jpg

• 7. Re: Menus read 1 Gb in Build Tab when size is 100 MB. Why
                      Stan Jones MVP

My similar test, in Encore preview after render menu, does not result in the background disappearing.

I don't see the difference in our tests.

One question:

I then pick my 35 -40 second Quictime movie that I am going to put into one of the film strip Video Drop Zones. I import it as an asset and then drop it into the menu into one of the drop zones.

When I do this, Encore creates a timeline for the video asset, and links the button to that timeline. Is that what is happening for you?

• 8. Re: Menus read 1 Gb in Build Tab when size is 100 MB. Why

THANK YOU STAN,

I figured it out because of your last post.

The menu I was working with was a 3rd Party Menu that I bought from Pre-Composed.com. I like this menu. Whenever I would double click in in Encore and it would come up, In the duration box in the Properties Panel, it would automatically show 30 seconds.

When I tested it with a Menu that came with Encore, I doubled clicked it and the Duration box would say 00:00:00:00

I tried it out with the Encore menu (not 3rd Party one) It worked fine. It did not go black after 30 seconds. The song kept playing and the video kept playing as well. Perfect.

I did one last test with the 3rd Party menu and it went black again after 30 seconds.

I knew something was wrong.

I looked on my computer at all of the Encore menus (not 3rd Party) and most of them were .psd files. The 3rd Party ones were coning in as m2v files which was limited to a 30 seconds loop time.

I then brought in a .psd file of the 3rd Party Menus with all it's layers,  and I opened up Encore and put it in as a background.

The first thing I noticed was that the duration did not say 30 seconds. It remained all 0's. I knew it was going to work now just by seeing that.

I Imported my QT file dropped it in the Drop Zone, Added my song, which as over 30 seconds, Rendered it out in Encore and tested the menu.

IT WOTKED. It played past 30 seconds and did not go black. Everything worked the way I wanted it to.

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP.

• 10. Re: Menus read 1 Gb in Build Tab when size is 100 MB. Why

Hi Stan,

I'm having another little problem.

My DVD is set up to go and it says that I am using 21 GB with about 4 left over. Perfect.

I went to burn it last night and somewhere along the line an error came up "Code 25 - Not enough Disc Space." I was confused.

So I went and made an ISO Blu-Ray file so I could burn it in Toast 11. That file ca,e out to be 25.75GB so it was too bif to burn on a 25 GB Blu-Ray Disc.

Why is it so much bigger than what Encore is saying it is?

Is there a way to make my 2 and a half hour timeline a smaller file size in Encore by changing the Transcoding settings before I make another ISO File? Or, should I go back and re-encode it from Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and make the Target and Max Bit Rate smaller, knowing it will be a ittle larger when I make it an ISO file to burn in Toast?

Thanks for all of your help.