6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2013 2:00 PM by MarkWalsh

Is it possible to use JavaScript to search a directory of PDF files?

Shalkast1

A company I am interning for is looking for a solution. They want to allow users to search within their PDF user manuals by typing a string into a search field and returning the PDF document link or page link. Is this possible? How would I accomplish this? I have only been programming for 1 year.

Can adobe reader use javascript to create a link that we attach the directory to? If not how or what would you do?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to use JavaScript to search a directory of PDF files?
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Is this something to happen once the PDF is open, for the current PDF?
          From an intranet web site?

From an app (cross document searching)?

Something else?

• 2. Re: Is it possible to use JavaScript to search a directory of PDF files?
            MarkWalsh Level 4

If I understand what you are looking for, you don't need Javascript. There is a Catalog feature in the program, you can create an index from a directory (or multiple directories) of your PDFs

Depending on which version you are using, check 'Advanced:Document Processing:Full Text Index with Catalog" or "Tools:Document Processing:Full Text Index with Catalog"

• 3. Re: Is it possible to use JavaScript to search a directory of PDF files?
              Shalkast1 Level 1

Ideally, I would like a link to Adobe Reader or Acrobat that only allows users to "Search Our Manuals for Help".  The user types in "Commission Invoice Inquiry" and in return gets links etc. to the PDF's in our directory of files containing that inquiry or "string".

User scenario:  User gets new software from company but needs to look in manual on how to get "commision invoice inquiry". So user goes onto my company's website and finds this said application I am looking for and types in "commission invoice inquiry" and hits enter. The application then searches through the company's directory of PDF files (manuals) for "commission invoice inquiry" and returns any page links within the PDF that have that "commission invoice inquiry" on them. It can open inside of Adobe Reader or Acrobat or whichever. The company is even willing to pay for said "plugin" or application.

• 4. Re: Is it possible to use JavaScript to search a directory of PDF files?
                Shalkast1 Level 1

"There is a Catalog feature in the program"

Which program? Acrobat or Adobe Reader?

My apologies. I wish I could ask this question properly. I don't mind putting in the work to get it done. I just have no clue where to start.

• 5. Re: Is it possible to use JavaScript to search a directory of PDF files?
                  MarkWalsh Level 4

Sorry, Acrobat has the ability to create the catalogs. I'd have to check, but I am pretty sure that Reader does not have this feature (It's possible that it may be able to use the catalogs once created via Acrobat, but I'd have to check on that as well).

If you only have access to Reader, then it may be worth the expense to purchase the full Acrobat just for this feature, as I'm sure a Javascript solution in Reader, if possible, may well not be very easy or likely to not work very well.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Is it possible to use JavaScript to search a directory of PDF files?
                    MarkWalsh Level 4

I just checked, and it looks like Reader (at least Reader X which I have installed) can search multiple PDFs in a directory, or in a catalog created through Acrobat. You need to pull up the 'Full Reader Search' tool (either command-shift-F on PC, or bring up the search field, and click on the arrow next to the search field and select 'Open Full Reader Search'.

I'm not sure if that fits your user scenario or not, or whether it could access the files/catalogs on a website.

Edit: I thought I saw the ability to search an Acrobat-created catalog initially, but I may have been mistaken. It does allow browsing to a directory to search, still not sure if it would allow you to select a web/network location.

1 person found this helpful