17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 1:24 PM by ChrisDixon

Quarter Page Booklet

ChrisDixon

Hello,

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm still very new to InDesign and have been trying to figure this out for two weeks!

I am trying to make a quarter page booklet in InDesign. When I print I'd like to cut a letter size sheet of paper in half long ways and then fold in half (final measurement 4.25W X 5.5L). I've set up a document with the dementions set to 4.25W X 5.5L and can lay it all out correctly. When I go to File > Print Booklet > Preview it doesn't look like it'll print correct. Idealy, when I print the documents out back and front on letter size sheets and then cut in half long ways, I'd two booklets out of each.

Is this possible? Thank you again!

• 1. Re: Quarter Page Booklet
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It's possible, but not intuitive. Create a regular file as facing pages with the page size set to your quarter-page dimensions.

Now make a second file, but set up as half-page dimensions. Download Scott Zanelli's script from InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files and run it twice to place the original file two times in the new file.

Now you can run Print Booklet and you will get two booklets side by side on a single sheet.

• 2. Re: Quarter Page Booklet
            Daniel Flavin Level 4

The Print Booklet feature of InDesign is not robust enough to accomplish multiple up and saddle-stiched imposition.

You may find the easiest course being -

Print Booklet - Adobe PDF as the Printer. Custom Paper size will yield an imposed 8.5 x 5.5 pdf.

There are scripts for placing that pdf into a new InDesign document (you may already have one in the Scripts Panel > Samples), but assuming you started with less than 100 pages, you can place it manually in little time.

Script search keywords- Scott Zanelli Import Multiple Page InDesign Script

I see Peter has given good advice as I wrote this which bypasses the imposed pdf.

• 3. Re: Quarter Page Booklet
              ChrisDixon Level 1

Hello Peter,

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm going to try this as soon as I get home.

To clerify, should I create a regular file as facing pages with the paper size set to the quarter-page dimensions and lay it out how I'd like it all to look before making the second file? Also, when you say set the second page up as half page dimensions do you mean, 4.25 X 11?

• 4. Re: Quarter Page Booklet

Yes to both if the finished booklets are protrait orientation. You want to have two copies stacked vertically on each page in the new file.

• 5. Re: Quarter Page Booklet
                  ChrisDixon Level 1

Good morning Peter,

I got the first file all layed out and it's ready to print. I'm having a hard time understanding the script/second file part. 

I've saved the original file (4.25"H X 5.5"W/facing pages) and opened a new document and set the dementions to 4.25"H X 5.5"L. Do I have the box for facing pages checked? Should the orientation be portrait or landscape? I figured landscape because the first file is layed out this way. I've played with both and ran the script and the images and text are all over the place. The Scott Zanelli Import Multiple Page InDesign Script didn't come with any instructions. I can tell I'm so close to getting this but it's confusing!

Could you give me an example of what the script settings would be when I run the script? I'm mostly confused about the Positioning Options.Thank you for your patience and help!

• 6. Re: Quarter Page Booklet
                    ChrisDixon Level 1

8660088511_97fd7156c0_c.jpg

Not sure if this is helpful but this is a screen grab of the first file.

• 7. Re: Quarter Page Booklet

OK, if the first file is 4.25 w x 5.5 tall, the new file needs to be 4.25 wide x 11 tall so you can fit your original pages on it twice. When you run the script it will give you options for positioning and scaling, and where to start. You want to place all pages from the original, starting on page 1, and the first run position should be top center. The script will add pages as required.

Once thge first set of pages is placed, run the script again and this time choose bottom centered for position.

Importer.png

Not sure which version of the script this dialog is from, but the otions are all pretyy similar from version to version. Set the import pages from your start page number to your end page number. Total page cound for a folded and stictched book should be a multiple of 4. Leave the scaling at 100% . In the position dropdown make the appropriate choice, and crop to page bounding box (presumably there are no bleeds here).

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Quarter Page Booklet
                        Daniel Flavin Level 4

Try these steps - document is 5.5 x 8.5  Portrait

small book impose 1.JPG

small book impose 2.JPG

Print booklet Dialog.JPG

• 9. Re: Quarter Page Booklet
                          ChrisDixon Level 1

Thank you so much! Getting much closer!

All of the above helps but the booklet is folding in the middle rather then the top of the page. I am hoping to get the top left of the image below to the bottom right.Basically I want to swap those two on each page and then I think it would be correct.

8661507522_665b9dbafd_c.jpg

I'm wondering if I've done something wrong with the original though because when I try to print that one I get this:

8660413619_211cc67a9f_z.jpg

There are 32 pages (32 / 4 = 8) and I figured it would print fine but it's inserting blank pages.

• 10. Re: Quarter Page Booklet

Your top image looks ALMOST correct, other than being rotated 180 degrees ande having two pages per sheet. You set it up at 8.5 x 11 rather than the 4.25 x 11 that it should be.

Can you show us a screen shot of the pages panel in the original file, please, made large enough to see all the pages? Also a shot of a two-page spread. Are there any blank pages in the file?

• 11. Re: Quarter Page Booklet
                              ChrisDixon Level 1

Hey Daniel! Thanks for the help!

This actually looks the best so far. It looks exactly how it should when I look at it in InDesign. When I got to File > Print Booklet > Preview it looks awesome too! I am printing to a postscript file with the booklet type "2-up Saddle Stitch". I "print" and then open the post script file with Adobe Distiller and this converts it to a PDF. When I open the PDF it apears that the booklet is cropped to portrait and the content apears out of order.

I know this is probably an easy fix. So close!

• 12. Re: Quarter Page Booklet
                                ChrisDixon Level 1

Hey Peter,

I set the document up at 4.25 X 11 and did facing pages. Should I have unchecked facing pages?

Here is that screen shot of the original.

8660476629_2364a61455_z.jpg

Daniel's answer was really really close. See above, long story short, It's layed out right but printing weird.

• 13. Re: Quarter Page Booklet
                                  Daniel Flavin Level 4

General advice, do not print to ps, but rather set the printer to Adobe PDF, assuming you have PDF Printer.

It sounds as if Distiller's Option needs attention, I haven't a need to do this much, PDF Printer is better choice -

If Distiller is necessary, try modifying these settings - You will probably need to save the setting as a copy; default's are not(?) edittable

Capture.JPG

• 14. Re: Quarter Page Booklet

OK, I just went back to look at the screen shot of the first file in post #6, and I see that you mislead me a little bit about how the file is set up (or at least I didn't understand waht you were doing). This file is really set up as 4.25 high, and 5.5 wide, but the pages are all rotated 90 degrees so when it's bound the binding is on the top to make a flip book. Do I have that correct now?

If so, your new file wants to be set up as 5.5 wide x 8.5 tall.  You should wind up with 32 pages again, each with the same thing stacked vertically. You will print it on lettersize in Landscape, and split on the long axis. You haven't said if any of the pages are blank. We need to know that.

• 15. Re: Quarter Page Booklet
                                      ChrisDixon Level 1

Peter,

Sorry for misleading. This is all very new and I'm not sure I'm using the correct language.

The above is correct and there are two intensionally blank pages .

• 16. Re: Quarter Page Booklet
                                        Daniel Flavin Level 4

The above is correct and there are two intensionally blank pages .

Aha, from the Print Booklet dialog you seem to have discovered that toggling Print Settings is needed to set the Printer, Orientation and other settings. Within that dialg also enable Print Blank Pages.

Peter's note about #6 - I had the same ponderings. Rotating the pages had us scratching heads.

Your Print Booklet dialog screenshot in #9 does not show two up...

Message was edited by: Daniel Flavin - I shouldn't speak for Peter re: rotated page display

• 17. Re: Quarter Page Booklet
                                          ChrisDixon Level 1

Oh man, you guys, I'm so sorry for not realizing that! I had you racking your brains for something so silly! That seems to have fixed everything and it looks like it'll print correctly  now. I'm going to run a test print now.

THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH!!!!