CS6 Hangs on Start-up

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2013 Apr 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got a new 27-inch iMac.  Can't run CS6 Production Premium

1. Deactivated CS6 on the old machine.
  2. Ran Migration Assistant.
  3. Photoshop hangs (spinning beachball after 30+ minutes) on startup (after splash screen.. Large black window with toolbar on the left).
  4. Force Quit Photoshop
  5. Uninstalled CS6 using Adobe uninstaller.
  6. Deleted contents of /Library/ApplicationSupport/Adobe
  7. Deleted contents of ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/Adobe
  8. Emptied Trash
  9. Restarted Machine
  10. Repaired Permissions using Disk Utility
  11. Installed fresh download of CS6 Production Premium.
  12. Photoshop hangs on startup.
  13. Illustrator hangs on splash screen (Initializing plugins.. Rasterize.aip)
  14. Repeated steps 4 through 13 with identical results.

Console log from last install at:  http://pastebin.com/u3a5y48r

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uninstall, run the cleaner (http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html), restart your computer and then use a fresh install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, kglad, but no joy:

1. Uninstalled CS6 Production Premium
  2. Ran CS Cleaner Tool
  3. Restarted the machine
  4. Reinstalled CS6 Production Premiun
  5. Photoshop hangs on Startup (after splash screen as above).
  6. Illustrator hangs on splash screen (Initializing plugins... Rasterize.aip).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you'll need to analyze your installation logs:  http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/troubleshoot-install-logs-cs5-cs5.html

if you can't work that out on your own, you can contact adobe support:  http://www.adobe.com/support/chat/ivrchat.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't spot anything in the logs, and the Adobe Support Advisor (an AIR app that analyzes logs, reports "Inspection could not identify any issues).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kglad,

That chat line couldn't handle technical questions.  They just gave me the support phone number.    Off to spend a couple of hours on hold I fear.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they couldn't handle technical questions?  i've not heard that before.

what country are you in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

USA... California...  Downtown San Jose....   San Fernando St. about six blocks from Adobe HQ.     Can't quite see the Adobe building out my window, but one side of it is on San Fernando.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(throw a rock and wake them up. no, don't do that - we'll both get in trouble.)

go through chat again.  maybe you just made contact with someone that's not up-to-speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it a try, but that page that starts the chat (http://www.adobe.com/support/chat/ivrchat.html) is pretty up-front about the chat just being for customer service stuff.

I'll try again and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the second attempt to get support via the chat link I was successfully handed off to the Tech Support Chat Channel.  (After about 15 minutes of dithering).  ...so kglad's suggestion in comment #11 to retry chat was quite valuable.

The support tech went back through everything from the earlier sessions and then suggested looking at the problem using Adobe Connect.   I downloaded and installed that, but it hangs when I press the "Share Screen" button  <sigh>.

Rather than trying to debug that as well, he suggested enabling the root user in MacOS, de-installing and running CS Cleaner, then switching to the root user in safe mode, and installing CS6 from there.

That results in both Photoshop and Illustrator running correctly for the root user (both in safe mode and after a normal boot), but not for normal users on the machine.

The support tech sent me a case number so I'll reconnect tomorrow and see if we can get all the way to a resolution.

For the benefit of anyone stumbling on this thread in the future, information on enabling/disabling the root user on MacOS is at http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11331, and info on starting Mountain Lion in "safe" mode is at http://support.apple.com/kb/ph11212.

Use extreme caution doing anything as the root user, as you can easily cripple your system, and be sure to disable the root user when you're finished.   While in safe mode avoid using the LaunchPad as screen updates take minutes.

I'll report back tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2013 Apr 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contacted support again via chat, was routed to Tech Support Team.  They recommended steps in http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-unexpected-behavior-user-account.html.   These had no effect which is not surprising since the problem is not specific to a single account but is occuring in all except the root account, including admin acounts.

Trying to contact support yet again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sheesh, glad you're making progress but what an effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is claiming this is a permissions problem.  I'm not sure I believe that, but the problem did start with Migration Assistant.   There are two other apps that fail similarly, Adobe Connect, a teleconferencing app that locks up when I try to share the screen (requested by Adobe support), and Vidyo Desktop another (Flash based) video conferencing app.

I'm no expert, but this is beginning to smell like a graphics driver issue.  This is a fairly new machine (1 week old), and the graphics "card" seems to be getting a bad reputation with the Final Cut Pro guys.

This afternoon I'm dragging the whole thing into the local Apple Store "Genius" bar.  I'll show them Photoshop running in the root account but not on any others and see if they have a clue.    ...as always, I'll report back in hopes that if we find a solution this thread may help someone else avoid losing a week on the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your persistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2013 Apr 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED...   but the answer is ugly, and it took a lot of effort to pin it down.

This isn't an issue with the Adobe Software.  The problem was caused by using Apple's Migration Assistant.  The only solution appears to be to reformat the disk and reinstall the OS, then hand build the new system one install at a time.

I tried doing a CMD-R reinstall of the OS (Mountain Lion), but that did not cure the problem.

At the Apple store the guy at the genius bar offered to replace the machine, but said "Let's try something first, is everything backed up?".   I replied yes and he reformatted the disk and reinstalled the OS from the store server.   We then installed the Photoshop CS6 trial (much quicker than all of CS6) and it worked fine.   We created another user, and PS worked for that user too.  I then installed the Vidyo Desktop client that was hanging and it worked.   Clearly the problem had something to do with the Migration Assistant.   I had migrated two users, one from a recent MacBook Air running the current release of Mountain Lion, and one from my old desktop Mac Pro which is too old to run Mountain Lion and so was running the last release of Lion.  Since that machine started out running 10.4.7 (Tiger) and had been through numerous upgrades both "the genius" and I thought the problem was probably something old and nasty that was migrated from that machine.

We were wrong.  When I got the machine home I ran the Migration Assistant again to move the user from the MacBook Air.  ....and that broke CS6 again.  And it broke it for all users on the machine.

Yet another FDISK and OS install (aaarrrrgghhh).    I'm now working on building the machine installing one app at a time and moving files manually.  Everything's working fine so far.  

I suppose I could test whether or not it's specific to that MacBook by migrating the user from the Lion machine again, but if it fails it's another FDISK and OS install, and I'm now seeing installer progress bars in my sleep, so I think I'll pass.

The moral of the story:   If you're a CS user, stay far, far away from Apple's Migration Assistant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2013 Apr 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow.  that's a nuclear solution.

but, never use migration tools with any adobe products.  it's well-known that it fails.

i just didn't know there was no solution to the problems it causes other than a reformat and reinstall everything effort.

congratulations on getting that sorted.  (but, i'd be afraid to use a migration tool with anyone's software after that ordeal.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2013 Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Reformatting is definitely a nuclear solution. I was having a similar problem, though it had nothing to do with Mighration Assistant.

I've been using CS6 without issue for months until today.

I would try opening Photoshop CS6 from a shortcut on my dock, (I have a MacBook Pro with Lion), and right after the splash screen, I would get the Beachball of Doom, plus a white rectangle where the "Participate" "Do not Participate" box would normally appear.

I verified and repaired my disk using Disk Utility, restarted my machine, but continued to have the same problem.

Finally, I decided to try a simple approach, which, in this case, actually worked! Rather than trying to open CS6 from the shortcut on the dock, I decided to open one of my saved .psd files directly. Amazingly enough, the program opened along with the file, and I'm able to use Photoshop again.

Still not sure why this was an issue to begin with, and I'd like to figure that out. However, in the meantime, if you're having this problem, too, try opening one of your .psd files, and maybe you'll have some luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and the page he sent me to is just sales numbers, not support numbers!    Big help that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional information:

1. After Effects CS6 hangs on the splash screen at: Cleaning Up - Scripting.
  2. After Effects Rendering Engine CS6 hangs on the splash screen at: Cleaning Up - Scripting.
  3. Encore CS6 appears to hang before the splash screen. (perpetually bouncing icon in the dock).
  4. Audition CS6, Prelude CS6, Speed Grade CS6, Premiere Pro CS6, Flash Pro CS6, and Media Encoder CS6 start normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines