3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2013 5:53 PM by the_wine_snob RSS

Artifacts around text when viewing a Jpeg image on a HDTV?

iRuss Community Member

I'm new to this kind of advertising media. So bare with me. I'm creating these 1920 x 1080 @ 96dpi Photoshop images that has black text on white background that are viewed on a LCD HDTV. The images are saved out as Jpegs at the highest quality setting. When I view the image on the HDTV, I see all kinds of artifacts around text. (See attached image sample that I shot with a digital camera of the HDTV screen.) Let me add that I do not see any of the artifacts around the text  when I view the Jpeg image on my computer's monitor.

So is this something inherit to this kind of media? Or I'm I missing a setting somewhere? It would be nice if I could diminish the artifacts to a lesser amount at least.

Thanks,

-Russ

Artifacts.JPG

• 1. Re: Artifacts around text when viewing a Jpeg image on a HDTV?
          station_two Community Member

That's the nature of JPEG compression, even at the highest quality level.

The HD TV obviously magnifies the artifacts.

I know nothing about TV or video, I just avoid the JPEG format at all costs myself, unless someone or something absolutely demands a JPEG from me, in which case I only generate the abomination as the final output file.  Try working with PNG files instead—if your intended application permits it.

• 2. Re: Artifacts around text when viewing a Jpeg image on a HDTV?
            iRuss Community Member

PNG won't work. Jpeg image is want they want and the only format that will work. They run 15 advertising images off a thumb drive. They run a slide show on the HDTV. The images stay up for 15 seconds at a time. Probably not enough time for people in a waiting room to notice the artifacts. Thanks,

• 3. Re: Artifacts around text when viewing a Jpeg image on a HDTV?
              the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

I agree, and it's why I do not use JPEG, unless the client's needs absolutely dictate it.

I do a lot of Image work (tons of Titles) in PS, that goes to both DVD-Video and BD (Blu-ray Disc), and never, never introduce JPEG into the workflow. Everything that I output is PSD (or maybe a very few PNG's).

However, from the last response from iRuss, PSD will not be an option either.

As a bit of an after thought, perhaps iRuss could produce a Premiere Pro (or Elements) AV file for the SlideShow and Titles, and put an H.264 in an MP4 "wrapper" file on the thumbdrive? Then, a PSD could be used effectively in the video.

Just thinking here,

Hunt