8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 11:43 AM by Peter Spier

Recovery with InDesign6 and spinning ball of death

sufinal4 Level 1

This morning the power went out while I had been working in InDesign and  Illustrator.

I came in and saved the project before the back up power  went out but did not get the Mac powered off completely before the back  up power stopped. When the power came back on, I restarted the mac and  Indesign, and my project is now constantly getting the spinning ball of  death; I can't even open the file even though it says it was saved. ALL other programs are fine. Just problems with indesign.

I have reset the SMC and did a disc check on the hard drive and the disc utility said everything was fine.

PLEASE HELP! I am freaking out about my project!!

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Recovery with InDesign6 and spinning ball of death
          sufinal4 Level 1

Oh, and earlier saved versions of my project are totally fine.

Just the one I saved this monrning is totally whacked. 

• 2. Re: Recovery with InDesign6 and spinning ball of death
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is it coming up on autorecovery, or are you trying to use file > Open...

It's possible that the file didn't finish writing before the power went down and is damaged, so you may have to work fromthe previous version.

• 3. Re: Recovery with InDesign6 and spinning ball of death
              sufinal4 Level 1

its trying to recover...for, like, 6 hours....spinning ball of doom.

yes, I think I need to go back to the previous version. 4 hours of work lost to the computer netherworld. I know what I am doing this morning...time to make the coffee...

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Recovery with InDesign6 and spinning ball of death

Try emptying the InDesign Recovery folder after shutting down ID (just move the contents somewhere else for the moment) -- force quit if necessary to shut down -- and that should let you start ID without autorecovery. At that point, see if you can open the last saved version. If all is well, go ahead and delete the recovery files you moved.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Recovery with InDesign6 and spinning ball of death
                  sufinal4 Level 1

Just spent an hour with adobe support...NOTHING is helping.

I have gone back to open previous versions which are fine and open quickly, but nothing will let me add new pages. I just get the spinning ball.

ANY advise? Theirs was to cut and past EACH of my 130 pages into a new doc and start over. Is there any way to import a saved PDF file that I have exported from the INDD file??

• 6. Re: Recovery with InDesign6 and spinning ball of death
                    Ellis home Level 4

There's a script in Window/Utilities/Script called PlaceMultipagePDF. But I'm not sure if the document will be editable. May be others that have used it can advise. I did a quick test but I'm not able to edit it.

• 7. Re: Recovery with InDesign6 and spinning ball of death
                      sufinal4 Level 1

The ONLY thing is will not let me do is add pages. I have edited  items, added things, I have moved things around...I have saved it and exported it as a  PDF. I go to add a new page and then the spinning ball starts. I force  it to close and the report says its a 'hang'

I even dumped the program and reloaded it.

I am so frustrated!!

Is there a way to import all of the page  formats from the doc and master pages into a new file to start from scratch? Can I then cut and past every page...is that insane? Step by step if anyone can...

HELP!!

• 8. Re: Recovery with InDesign6 and spinning ball of death

No. Placing pages will not help.

Try exporting a file that will open to .idml (see Remove minor corruption by exporting). I suspect, though that tehre may be program damage from the crash. Have you verified that you can create a new file and add pages?

If the .idml doesn't work, the next thing to try, if the new file is editable, is to creat a new file the same size as the one with a problem, then rename Master A to something you are not using in the problem file. Open the Paragraph Styles panel and from the flyout menu choose Load Paragraph Styles and choose the problem file as the source. Import the Basic Paragraph style and tell ID to use the incoming style.

Next, go back to the problem file and select all the pages in the Pages panel and opent the panel flyout menu. Choose Move Pages... and for the target pick your new file. Put the pages BEFORE page 1 so they don't switch sides.

In the new file, delet the last page which is now an extra, and see how it works.