This is exactly the problem I'm having.
Same problem here... and if I import .oam file, not works responsive (and not indexable text for the search engines).
oam is basically a zip file that contains the entire assetts including html, css, js and images inside the project folder structure.
It is not meant to be used online as is. Various Adobe products take the OAM zip file and extract the assetts to include into an existing project for example Muse uses the OAM file to bring in the Edge Animate project and include it into the Muse project which then is exported or published out from Muse.
Rename the OAM file with the extension ZIP and then open it in 7zip, winrar or some other zip archive software and look inside it and you will see what it contains. It isn't meant to be used by itself on the web, instead it is imported into other Adobe products like Muse, Indesign etc...
Ok, but... Why Dreamweaver has the import .oem function (Edge Animate Composition) included in the toolbar?
I think would be better to delete it from the next versions of Dreamweaver...
Have you actually tried this to see what it does?
In Muse when you import the oam file the entire project within the file is extracted and placed within the folder structure of the Muse project and using an iFrame the Edge Animate animation is included into the html of the Muse project.
Dreamweaver, Indesign and whatever other Adobe software that can import Edge Animate projects can't take the html and individual assetts like css and js and just use them. Instead you have to export the Edge Animate project into an oam file which is basically a zip file with folder structure and some instructions that tell where everything is and how they are linked together.
Indesign, Muse, Dreamweaver then takes this file and exports out the oam folder into the current folder structure of the current opened project and brings in the assetts. In Muse it uses an iFrame to bring in the Edge Animate files, I don't know about Dreamweaver or Indesign.
So you see, the oam is being used but when you upload the finished project it is not the oam that is uploaded but the actual html, css and js contained within. Dreamweaver just needs the context of everything and it can only get that from the OAM file, it is only a container.
If you wanted to take the Edge Animate assetts and put them together manually inside of dreamweaver you can do that but the OAM import is just faster because dreamweaver does it all for you.
All I can say is this is Adobe's way of doing things.
"OAM import" function in Dreamweaver not works with responsive design (if you create an Edge Animate responsive and after import the oem file, not works the responsive layout).
For me it's a BIG issue, and I'm sure that Macromedia would have removed from Dreamweaver this feature immediately... but Adobe is not Macromedia!
With Macromedia I was a happy webdesigner customer, with Adobe I'm a beta tester paying!!!
It uses an iFrame. I am having the same problem with my Muse layout the Edge Animate banner will not stay within the parent html layout when the browser is resized. I think this is due to the iFrame.
You can make the iFrame indexable by using site.xml file to link to the html within the iFrame for the SE's. From what I have read this works but is not the same as having everything on the same page.
I think maybe there are two options. 1: don't plan on the Edge Animate animations to be indexable
2: Rewrite the html of the main page(s) to physically contain the Edge Animate html and js so everything is within the same html file.
I don't know how much of a nightmare that would be to do though.
Thanks Preran, but OAM file has more issues with Dreamweaver... responsive layout not works and not indexable text for the search engines.
GraphicsGeezer - what exactly is the issue?
From Dw > Insert > Media > Edge Composition (select .oam file) inserts the Edge Animate project into the page.
As for, works on your machine but not on the server?? Post a url. Are you sure you uploaded ALL the files.
at_play has some good suggestions for making things indexable. Regarding the responsive abilities in Dreamweaver, you can actually make your files responsive. Here's how I did it:
- Insert your OAM file into Dreamweaver
- Open code view or split view and view your Animate object. It should start with <object ...> and have a fixed height and width
- Change the parameters in the tag: set height to 100% and width to 100% (or whatever you want it set to)
- Please note that you may need to give your body a style of width/height 100% in order to enable the responsiveness on the page itself
Hope this helps,
I'm wondering if Edge Animate isn't a bit obsolete now that Flash can export to HTML5. This is a fairly recent development. If you have the latest Flash CC you can choose HTML5 as an export option. Not all Flash capalities can be exported, but you can certainly create animations and slideshows. There is no problem with exporting, though I've only used this capability on an experimental basis.