15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2013 2:51 AM by WebOfWebs RSS

Cloud version vs Suite version

WebOfWebs Community Member

Other than pricing, ownership and support, is there any other differences?
      I ask because i was reading about Fluid Grid Design, and many sites proceed to discuss the latest updates (to 12.2 for Cloud version) fix many of the issues users are encountering.
      so i check my version and see i have 12.0.1 of Suite version, which i can update to 12.0.3 (at time of wrtiing).
      Here's my confusion: will i run into problems, and have to wait for a new Suite Update, or are the latest versions the same (same bugs / same patches) with just different numbering systems ???
      (i hope thats understandable)

• 1. Re: Cloud version vs Suite version
          Jon Fritz II MVP

The perpetual license (disk) and cloud versions have quite a few differences in menu structure, functionality and features.

The cloud version offers new features as soon as they are available with regular updates. The disk version won't get most of the cloud features until a major update to CS7.

They are so different now that you also cannot use most of the DWCS6 manuals or books with the cloud version without losing some hair and increasing your blood pressure.

• 2. Re: Cloud version vs Suite version
            Nancy O. MVP

As Jon said, Cloud gives you both minor & major upgrades for as long as you subscribe to it.  Other features include:

• access to 17 software titles,
            • 5 Business Catalyst sites (basic plan),
            • TypeKit web fonts,
            • Edge products (Reflow, Animate, Coder),
            • Cloud storage space,
            • ability to install titles on either Mac, Win or both,
            • a bunch of other features you won't get with perpetual licenses.

Nancy O.

• 3. Re: Cloud version vs Suite version
              mhollis55 Community Member

So, to oppose the Cloud Version, I have the following observations:

• You don't have to have access to the Internet.
              • You don't have to retrain yourself as the new menu structure comes in and you have to do it on work that you're in the middle of.
              • Google offers lots of more free web fonts than does TypeKit.
              • The license is yours. If you don't need an upgrade, you're not paying fot it continually.
              • If Adobe's servers go down, you can still get your work done.

The way you deduct a perpetual license from (US) taxes is as a purchase. The way you deduct Cloud is as a "rental." There are tax advantages to either, but one may outweigh the other, depending on how your business is structured.

-Mark

• 4. Re: Cloud version vs Suite version
                Nancy O. MVP

To clarify a few misconceptions. 

• You don't have to have access to the Internet.

Cloud software does not need continual internet access either. After you download & install it, you can work offline except for once each month to verify status.  That takes about 60 seconds.

• You don't have to retrain yourself as the new menu structure comes in and you have to do it on work that you're in the middle of.

Installing updates/upgrades is optional.  You don't have to do it.

• Google offers lots of more free web fonts than does TypeKit.

Free is free.  You can use whichever web fonts you prefer, Edge, TypeKit, Google, Font Squirrel, etc...

• If Adobe's servers go down, you can still get your work done.

If Adobe's Cloud servers go down, it does not effect the software running on your machine.  You simply wouldn't have access to your Cloud space or other software downloads.  Incidentally, I don't keep actual work files on the Cloud.  I keep backups on the Cloud.   My work files are all on my local hard drives.

Nancy O.

• 5. Re: Cloud version vs Suite version
                  John Waller MVP

Installing updates/upgrades is optional.  You don't have to do it.

That's true but some of these radical menu changes have been introduced in a very low key way upon unsuspecting users who click OK to update without being aware of the trauma they are unleashing on themselves.

New day: launch DW, updates available, click OK. Insert menu radically altered....

It's getting to the point where caution and much research and homework is required before updating because Adobe seems to currently have a dangerous habit of changing menus (and therefore workflows) in small dot releases and then trying to tell us that it's for our benefit.

The Dreamweaver Cloud update made me very wary of Adobe's wisdom in what they include in updates. I simply don't trust updates any more.

• 6. Re: Cloud version vs Suite version
                    Nancy O. MVP

It's getting to the point where caution and much research and homework is required before updating

For me, it's always been that way.  Well before the Cloud even,  you had to do research before installing an update -- well, at least I did.  I don't allow any updates/upgrades to occur on my work box until I know exactly what they do. 

And I often ignore updates/grades until my plate is clear of pressing projects. 

Nancy O.

• 7. Re: Cloud version vs Suite version
                      John Waller MVP

For me, it's always been that way.  Well before the Cloud even,  you had to do research before installing an update

Same here but I guess my point relates to degrees of change in each update. The level of research required gets bigger and bigger.

Dot releases have usually meant small changes and tweaks. Never menu restructures. They've been reserved for version upgrades.

• 8. Re: Cloud version vs Suite version
                        Nancy O. MVP

I know exactly what you mean.  It's a whole new approach to updates -- one we have to get accustomed to if we're going to keep subscribing.

Nancy O.

• 9. Re: Cloud version vs Suite version

Thanks for the replies. Its been very interesting reading all over the internets people's opinions.
                          And WOW. just wow!
                          It seems Adobes really upset their most loyal clients. The behaviour of cloud updates is nothing more than a nightmare. For working stiffs at least.
                          Changes in operations, menus, missing tabs and options, entire features removed (extended table mode for one - and before anyone screams tables vs css read about email newsletters). The lists (and mobs of angry people) just goes on and on....

So thanks but we are going to continue with the good ol disks.

"you dont have to install updates and patches" - that sums it up.

• 10. Re: Cloud version vs Suite version
                            Nancy O. MVP

Just so you know, Creative Suite boxed disks will be discontinued after May 1st.  Purchased software will be fullfilled by digital download.

Nancy O.

• 11. Re: Cloud version vs Suite version
                              mhollis55 Community Member

Frankly, I think everyone's headed to digital download. One may purchase lots of software at the Apple App Store (including Photoshop elements Editor, interestingly enough) and Microsoft is obviously headed in that direction with the newest version of Windows.

Putting software on a disc, boxing it, shrink wrapping it and sending it out on trucks costs money (labor, shipping, materials and the equipment to make the discs), so if one could reliably just send it over the internet, profits increase.

I see my daughter eventually pulling out a boxed bit of (obsolete) software in a few years and asking me what it is.

-Mark

• 12. Re: Cloud version vs Suite version
                                Jon Fritz II MVP

I feel for the 56k modem using designers out there after May 1.

• 13. Re: Cloud version vs Suite version
                                  Nancy O. MVP

This may open up an opportunity for resellers to download and package the software for people who can't do direct downloads. 

Nancy O.

• 14. Re: Cloud version vs Suite version
                                    John Waller MVP

I see my daughter eventually pulling out a boxed bit of (obsolete) software in a few years and asking me what it is.

Reminds me of this article I saw the other day:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheFloppyDiskMeansSaveAnd14OtherOldPeopleIconsThatDontMakeSe nseAnymore.aspx

• 15. Re: Cloud version vs Suite version

ha. i read an article about obsolete icons a couple of years ago (dont remember the source sorry). Same icons i think. Just as funny.

As for going digital: i understand the saving. But its another deathnail for the highstreet. And more strain those internets.
                                      And how many homeusers, self employed, small businesses, have the time and money to have raid styled servers,  just for storage. We do, as we also use Premiere Pro and video etc. But for those just dreamweavering its another level of complexity / source of failure.

For backup (and for all the modern tech in the world, its more important than ever!) nothing beats popping in a disk and reading a serial from the label.
                                      (and yes we still use disks, not floppies, but a nice shelf of disks with an easy record of who'se installing on what machine).

Companies have seen the error of their ways with that 'activation' fiasco. I cant help wondering if purely digital will get past its own bad reputation. (thats for the older techies out there)

Good to know