7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 8:11 AM by peter minneapolis

justify question

Jessie-vp Level 1

Hi,

I have a question: I'm making a bulleted list, with the text justified "with last line aligned left"; since that looks a lot better without any annoying rivers running through my text.

In order make my paragraphs aligned to the left, I need to separate them with a hard return. Unfortunately that also makes a bullet character

I don't want to convert the bullets to text to solve this issue since I want this to be as automated as possible.

Two screenshots of the problem:

http://d.pr/i/8sr7http://d.pr/i/mn1C

I'm definitely no inDesign wizard, so bear with me if the solution is overly simple *kind of crosses fingers*

Thx!

• 1. Re: justify question
          jmlevy Adobe Community Professional

Do not use hard return to give space between your paragraphs. Use “space before” or “space after”.

• 2. Re: justify question
            Jessie-vp Level 1

lol - I'm clearly too much of a rookie. That does nothing for me

I don't even have any idea how to do that, I can see it in paragraph stules but have no idea how to apply. Thanks anyway

• 3. Re: justify question
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You input the value of space you want before or after the paragraph. Hit Preview to see the result. Say Ok to apply.

If you're not getting spaces appearing that means you've entered in soft returns - you need to have hard returns.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6dd2a.h tml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idIZ48E-KE4

• 4. Re: justify question
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Jessie-vp wrote:

lol - I'm clearly too much of a rookie. That does nothing for me

I don't even have any idea how to do that, I can see it in paragraph stules but have no idea how to apply. Thanks anyway

paragraph spacing does exactly what you want. You apply it by entering an amount in either the space befor or space after fields (which will add space before or space after the paragraph, respectively). To add the same space as an extra paragraph return, add space equal to your leading value.

Paragraph spacing is ignored at the top of a column if it would result in empty space before the text.

• 5. Re: justify question
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

Eugene, the Youtube video shows forced new lines retaining the list bullet property. On my InDesign CS6, on my MacBook Pro, OS X 10.6.8, new lines created with Shift+Return do not retain the list bullet property, whether the list bullet is defined in the paragraph style, or is applied as an override. What am I missing? Does this behave differently in earlier ID releases, or on Windows ID, or on a Mac desktop's keyboard vs. a Mac laptop's keyboard?

The video presenter refers to creating content in MS Word. Is the bullet at the beginning of an ID forced-line-break (AKA sosft return) a result of the file having originated in MS Word?

Also, as a matter of practice, paragraphs that consist of long sequences of forced line breaks, can behave unexpectedly. For example, keeping lines together across frame breaks. And, some e-pub list formats may require list items to be independent paragraphs, for them to be converted correctly.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

• 6. Re: justify question
                    Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The video is just a reference, I didn't make it.

If you know of another source that would be great.

• 7. Re: justify question
                      peter minneapolis Level 4

Eugene Tyson wrote:

The video is just a reference, I didn't make it.

If you know of another source that would be great.

I knew you didn't create it, but you cited it, so I assumed you endorsed the technique.

I performed the steps shown and couldn't create bullets at the start of forced line-break lines. Were you able to recreate them as in the video?

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices