5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 8:21 AM by the_wine_snob

Multi drive set up:

P1965 Level 1

I have a fairly new computer using Win 7, 6G ram and one large main drive with at least 250 Gb free space.  Only an external USB - IDE back up for bulk data, pics etc.

On the main internal 'C',  PrE 11 and PS 11 were installed and folders with images / video / audio were created for use in projects and this worked fairly well.

But if I understand correctly, it's better to have these project files and subsequent PrE11 projects stored on a separate drive.  So I added a 2nd new internal drive, then transferred everything (other than PrE and PS software)  After all was working OK, both drives were then cleaned up and defragged.

Now it seems that PrE11 is less responsive and slower to perform functions than before so Is there a better method?

Thanks, Steve

• 1. Re: Multi drive set up:
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Make sure your second internal drive is set up in your BIOS as well as your operating system. Otherwise you'll see very poor performance. (You enter your BIOS by pressing ESC or F1 when you see the logo screen when you first start your computer, before your operating system loads.)

Once that's done, keep your programs on your C drive, but your media files and program files on your second drive. (Make sure that under Edit/Preferences/Scratch Discs, you have your scratch discs set to Same As Project.)

Also, as I advise in my books, whenever you start a new project, create a new folder on your second drive for the project file and its temp files. This not only affects performance but it also makes it easy to clear off your project and all its temp files when you're done working on it.

• 2. Re: Multi drive set up:
            P1965 Level 1

The drive was set up in BIOS,  (if not, windows wouldn't see it) then formatted NTFS.  All other functions work well with it.

So I did it correctly by having the programs on the main and media on the second, .... but have not checked the scratch disc settings - will try that.   Don't know how to set up a project file and or, temp file, but will try to figure that out too.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

• 3. Re: Multi drive set up:
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

What is the speed of that second internall HDD? For video-editing, it should be at least 7200 RPM, and should also not be a "green" disc. A 10,000 RPM disc is even better.

With the exception of H.264 material (AVCHD, MP4, MTS, etc.), the biggest bottleneck with video-editing is the I/O, i.e. your HDD's and their connection. With H.264, then the CPU is the bigger bottleneck, with I/O taking second place.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Multi drive set up:
                P1965 Level 1

Hey Bill,

The internal drives are 750G (main) and 1 Terrabyte (2nd) and both are 7200, 64 cache, connected type SATA2.

Second drive having only a primary partition.   Prefer to run SSD's,  but too much $ for the large space required.

Looks like I have to figure out those scratch disc settings along with that project and temp files, as Steve suggested.

Thanks,

Steve

• 5. Re: Multi drive set up:
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you for that information. That second internal HDD should be just fine for video-editing. I see no reason for a performance hit. Steve G. mentioned the one catch (the BIOS), that can plague a new HDD.

Yes, SSD's are starting to come into their own, and their prices are falling pretty dramatically. I just went with my first one, but only for my system C:\ drive, and two SATA III's (spinning platter) HDD's for my D:\ & E:\.

Maybe by the next generation, the prices will fall enough, and the sizes go up enough, that we can all have SSD RAID's instead of mechanical HDD's, for video-editing? We'll see.

Good luck,

Hunt