5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 11:13 AM by chiroga

Rendering To External Hard Drive

chiroga

Does a USB 3.0 external hard drive have fast enough transfer speeds to render videos to unadultered?  I have tried using my USB 2.0 and the render file skips consistently throuhgout the video (periods where the whole file obviously isn't there).

I am using After Effects CS6 in Windows 8, 12 GB RAM, NVIDIA 670 video card.  Computer was advertised as having a 1TB hard drive, but instead came with 2-500 GB drives (working to see if I can reformat that or if it is indeed 2 separate drives).  Some of the bigger videos will reach 600 GB before putting them into Media Encoder.

Looking for the cheapest/easiest solution to this problem.

Thanks for any help y'all can give me.

• 1. Re: Rendering To External Hard Drive
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Straight up: Your post clearly indicates that you are rendering an uncompressed file and that relegates all your theoretical tech mumbo-jumbo to the trash can. Instead of obsessing over transfer speeds of data buses (which in your case even USB 3.0 couldn't reliably sustain for a multitude of reasons), read up on CoDecs, compression and output formats.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Rendering To External Hard Drive
            chiroga Level 1

Thanks Mylenium,

I have tried to use After Effects for the compression of files and then they won't play correctly on Amazon S3.  So I have been rendering in .avi, then using Media Encoder to compress (mp4).  Obviously requires a little more hard drive space, but functionality on the website is the main thing.  Wish they would have advertised the hard drive as 2-500 GB drives instead of 1 TB.  Wouldn't have messed around with this, but such is life.

Thanks for your time.

• 3. Re: Rendering To External Hard Drive
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Some of the bigger videos will reach 600 GB before putting them into Media Encoder.

Looking for the cheapest/easiest solution to this problem.

In your case, don't render the lossless file.  Instead, use Adobe Media Encoder directly with no intermediate render.  Open AME, then add a file to be encoded.  Navigate to the AE project, select the comp to be rendered, then select the AME preset to use.

• 4. Re: Rendering To External Hard Drive
                chiroga Level 1

Thanks Dave,

I will definitely give that a try.  I'm thinking that I tried that and it didn't work for some reason, but I've tried so many things that I have lost track.  I'll definitely give it a go and let you know what comes of it.

I do appreciate your time.

• 5. Re: Rendering To External Hard Drive
                  chiroga Level 1

Actually Dave, I remember why I had to stop doing that.  With the single layer rendering of AME, it was taking 1-2 days to render each video.  AE has the multi-layered rendering that allows files to be done much more quickly, then AME compresses them very fast.

Any recommendations on how to get around that?