15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2013 2:02 PM by conroy RSS

Photoshop 3d Render - Meshes won't move

viveredesign Community Member

Hello,

I can hardly think of anything more frustrating than dealing with the bugginess of Photoshop 64 bit CS6 Extended 3d (v13.0 x32 -- no updates since launch??) on a Windows 7 x64 workstation. It constantly crashes, renames my layers, and scenes will suddenly go in to the netherworld requiring a PS restart.

However, after spending hours assembling a scene with just 3 simple postcard meshes, I can no longer affect the meshes' coordinates or sizes either by dragging or typing in numbers in to the properties panel -- after attempting a move, it shows the busy cursor for a second or two and then puts the mesh back where it started. To add insult, it adds an undo state to move the mesh back! I tried restarting PS to no avail.

Has anyone experienced this and found a work-around? I hesitate to re-assemble the scene with a new file if this is a common occurence.

It seems like if you didn't buy the Adobe Creative Cloud, your version of PS is ignored and left languishing with all the day-1 bugs.

• 1. Re: Photoshop 3d Render - Meshes won't move
          R_Kelly Community Member

There certainly are updates for perpetual license customers of photoshop cs6 and that being 13.01.1 among other updates for windows versions.

Have you tried Help>Updates from within photoshop cs6?

• 2. Re: Photoshop 3d Render - Meshes won't move

Hi R_Kelly,

Thanks for the reply. I continuously get CS6 updates and did manually check again by pressing Help>Updates... and get the message "Your applications are all up-to-date as checked: less than a minute ago." message from teh Adobe Application Manager. Perhaps I'll spend some time debugging this too.

• 3. Re: Photoshop 3d Render - Meshes won't move

Oh well... updated to latest with a manual download, but meshes still wont move. It's as though they're immediately snapped back to the ground plane just after I try to move them. Frustrating.

• 4. Re: Photoshop 3d Render - Meshes won't move
                R_Kelly Community Member

If you go to Help>About Photoshop in both the 32 and 64 bit versions, do they both say Version 13.0.1?

Untitled-2.png

If they are both up to date, then resetting the photoshop preferences and also making sure your video card drivers

are the latest drivers from the card makers website (not the the ones windows update installs) are other courses of action.

Do you know what video card you have?

Resetting the preferences:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776?tstart=0

• 5. Re: Photoshop 3d Render - Meshes won't move

Hello,

In this workstation, I have a "Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7850 2 GB GDDR5 DVI-I/HDMI/2x mini-Displayport PCI-Express 3.0 Graphic Card GV-R785OC-2GD" which should be plenty. Generally, I don't have troubles with rendering, but the file seems to get in to a state where the meshes won't move. I'm updating my video driver now to the latest, but don't think it would make a difference.

Both x32 and x64 versions show now as 13.0.1. I tried running the file in the x32 version, but got the same behavior.

I'll try clearing the preferences next.

• 6. Re: Photoshop 3d Render - Meshes won't move
                    R_Kelly Community Member

It could also be that if your troubles are in the 32 bit version and not with the 64 bit version that your trying to use more resources than are available for the 32 bit version of cs6

as the 32 bit version can only use up to around 3.2 gigs of ram.

Aso, there have been problems with the amd drivers as of late and the beta 13.3 beta 3 version seems to be pretty good.

Or the 12.8 version works as well.

• 8. Re: Photoshop 3d Render - Meshes won't move

crap. AMD auto-updated to 13.1, now I have other problems.

• 9. Re: Photoshop 3d Render - Meshes won't move

OK. Updated video drivers to 13.3, but all the original problems remain.

It's odd because I can move a different mesh in the same scene, no problem (too bad I cannot delete a mesh from a 3d layer!). Also, if I try to move one of the unmovable meshes, I get 2 new entries in the history panel. However, if I select the previous history state, the mesh still didn't move.

I'll try creating another file from scratch with the idea that the previous 2 may have been corrupted by the older Photoshop.

Incidentally, I always run PS x64. And the problem file is 16-bit (doesn't help to down-sample it to 8-bit).

• 10. Re: Photoshop 3d Render - Meshes won't move

After completely re-installing Windows 7 x64 (and all programs/updates) due to the AMD video driver debacle, I was able to run a PS file with 6 3D objects in a scene fine for a few days. But alas, the problem has returned!!

When trying to move a mesh (that has worked fine for days), it immediately snaps back to the ground plane and never allows itself to be moved anywhere!

Has anyone come across this behavior and does anyone have a work-around suggestion? I cannot simply delete the mesh from the scene (not an option).

I'll be sure to post a solution here if I find one.

• 11. Re: Photoshop 3d Render - Meshes won't move
                            conroy Community Member

You could try hiding the frozen object then adding a replacement to the scene. Hide an object by poking out its eye in 3D panel.

Screen shot 2013-04-24 at 19.23.44.png

• 12. Re: Photoshop 3d Render - Meshes won't move

Thanks for the reply.

That's certainly a possible solution, however I'm trying to produce a bunch of rendered images from a 3D scene that mostly doesn't change save the textures and positioning (similar to http://viveredesign.com/portfolio/vivere-design-sample-laup-campaign). When merging 3d layers, (AFAIK) the scene parameters get reset and I have to spend time dialing in all the angles again.

Interestingly, I found that the "Reparameterize UVs..." 3D menu item was selectable (sometimes) and when I selected it, it made some bizarre changes to my mesh materials (flipping them, resizing, etc.), but I was again able to move the stuck mesh. (Previous attempts at deleting/editing/recreating the offending meshes' materials didn't fix the problem.) But this workaround too would be too time consuming.

Anyway, in the end, I'm glad I set-up automatic versioned backups for our office. I was able to find a version of my 3D workfile that hadn't yet been corrupted and have now saved it in a new location as an locked reference file for when this happens again.

In case others are interested in continuing the diagnosis of this issue, my workstation does auto-sleep after a period of time and the file stays open in PS through sleeps, so this may cause file corruption somehow?

• 13. Re: Photoshop 3d Render - Meshes won't move
                                conroy Community Member

viveredesign wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

That's certainly a possible solution, however I'm trying to produce a bunch of rendered images from a 3D scene that mostly doesn't change save the textures and positioning (similar to http://viveredesign.com/portfolio/vivere-design-sample-laup-campaign). When merging 3d layers, (AFAIK) the scene parameters get reset and I have to spend time dialing in all the angles again.

In my experience with merging 3D layers, the lower layer is maintained and simply has the objects from the other layer(s) added to it. Maybe it's unreliable when a document is corrupted, though, as yours seems to be.

• 14. Re: Photoshop 3d Render - Meshes won't move

Hi Conroy,

Based on my past experience, I didn't think that was the case, but I re-tried it based on your comment and it worked perfectly--the scene didn't change, but the new item was added and works fine! I'll likely now change my workflow to create a background scene and then add items when needed (instead of creating them all at once). Thanks!

More information about the 3d meshes getting stuck:

I had 4 meshes hidden in previous rendering sessions. Those have all become frozen after un-hiding them. Not sure when it occurred, but rendering with hidden meshes may be a factor.

• 15. Re: Photoshop 3d Render - Meshes won't move
                                    conroy Community Member

I was a fool to trust Adobe to fix some of the bugs and severe inconveniences of 3D that were in the version 13.0 of 11 months ago. Nothing has been improved. In fact, a major new bug was introduced in 13.0.1 for OS X. The 3D software is junk. A broken toy that seems to have been designed and programmed by novices and incompetents.