2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2007 6:32 PM by Newsgroup_User

sharing master page layer across frames

Level 7
      FW CS3...

As I see it, a common use for "Pages" in CS3 would be to have one page for
      the "homepage" of a site and another for each major section... For all the
      common elements (like the main BG i use a master page). In my example I
      would also like ot have a sepearte page for the main nav. The nav page will
      have 2 frames: one for the normal state and one for the over state.

Makes sense so far...

Problem is that the "master page" layer that I see in the layers pallette
      when my Nav page is active does not share across the 2 frames... I can
      duplicate the appropriate background areas, but that defeats the purpose of
      having a master page layer doesn't it.

I feel like I am missing something when it comes to using frames and pages
      appropriately. Thoughts?

Alex

• 1. Re: sharing master page layer across frames
          Level 7
          One thought is:

one approach may be fine for website but how about animated GIFs? (I
          still like to lay with animated GIFs)

So, in the case of animated GIFs one may wish to have one background for
          a few frames and a different background for others. It seems to add a
          bit of complexity?

Alexander Ross wrote:
          > FW CS3...
          >
          > As I see it, a common use for "Pages" in CS3 would be to have one page
          > for the "homepage" of a site and another for each major section... For
          > all the common elements (like the main BG i use a master page). In my
          > example I would also like ot have a sepearte page for the main nav. The
          > nav page will have 2 frames: one for the normal state and one for the
          > over state.
          >
          > Makes sense so far...
          >
          > Problem is that the "master page" layer that I see in the layers
          > pallette when my Nav page is active does not share across the 2
          > frames... I can duplicate the appropriate background areas, but that
          > defeats the purpose of having a master page layer doesn't it.
          >
          > I feel like I am missing something when it comes to using frames and
          > pages appropriately. Thoughts?
          >
          > Alex
          • 2. Re: sharing master page layer across frames
            Level 7
            Thats a valid point, but with normal layers (as oposed to the "Master Page"
            layer) you get to pick whether or not the layer is shared across frames ...
            why not with teh "Master Page" layer?

--
            A

"deebs" <deebs@false.false> wrote in message
            news:ffvq9n$kbp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > One thought is:
            >
            > one approach may be fine for website but how about animated GIFs? (I still
            > like to lay with animated GIFs)
            >
            > So, in the case of animated GIFs one may wish to have one background for a
            > few frames and a different background for others. It seems to add a bit
            > of complexity?
            >
            > Alexander Ross wrote:
            >> FW CS3...
            >>
            >> As I see it, a common use for "Pages" in CS3 would be to have one page
            >> for the "homepage" of a site and another for each major section... For
            >> all the common elements (like the main BG i use a master page). In my
            >> example I would also like ot have a sepearte page for the main nav. The
            >> nav page will have 2 frames: one for the normal state and one for the
            >> over state.
            >>
            >> Makes sense so far...
            >>
            >> Problem is that the "master page" layer that I see in the layers pallette
            >> when my Nav page is active does not share across the 2 frames... I can
            >> duplicate the appropriate background areas, but that defeats the purpose
            >> of having a master page layer doesn't it.
            >>
            >> I feel like I am missing something when it comes to using frames and
            >> pages appropriately. Thoughts?
            >>
            >> Alex