4 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 6:55 AM by GuyJr

InDesign CS6 crashes at startup after windows 7 update

lutraenl

InDesign crashes at startup after windows 7 update: Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\MSVCR100.dll (Microsoft Visual C runtime and update KB2538243 and KB2565063)

Reinstalling did not help

Also Adobe Encore CS6 seems to be affected

• 1. Re: InDesign CS6 crashes at startup after windows 7 update
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can try downloading the .dll from Microsoft and reinstall it.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS6 crashes at startup after windows 7 update
            lutraenl Level 1

I looked at the files and they apear to have different owners (system and trusted installer). When I run the programs as admin no error! Also reinstalling is not an option because the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime was updated due to a security issue ( . For now I have a solution, but it remains odd that this happens. Not too familiar with the way this works in windows 7.

(KB2565063 A security issue has been identified leading to a vulnerability in MFC applications that are built with Visual Studio 2010 and ship the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package)

• 3. Re: InDesign CS6 crashes at startup after windows 7 update
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Ah. So it's a permission issue. Not that I can tell you where or what you need to change, but clearly an ordinary user is being denied necessary access.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS6 crashes at startup after windows 7 update
                GuyJr Level 1

I looked at the recovery files in:

C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 8.0\en_US\Caches\InDesign

I deleted all the files and Indesign started up fine.  feeling good I closed Indesign and restarted.

Indesign Crashed again.

Deleted all files again and reloaded. 

I went to "Edit:Preferences:File Handling:Document Recovery Data"  to:

G:\Adobe\Indesign\Cache\Recovery

Interestingly, the Indesign application recovery files still reside in the user directory above.   But the document recovery data moves to the G drive above.

There is no clear reason why Indesign quit loading today.  It worked fine since initial installation last year.  But separating the document recovery data from the application recovery data seems to fix the problem for now.