3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2013 5:11 AM by CHMprepress RSS

Why is Illustrator changing layer order when I export?

Tadow

I have a relatively simple Illustrator file that consists of several scatter plot graphs. Each point is a filled circle with an outline which sits on top of an error bar. The elements are ordered correctly in Illustrator; the error bars are visible behind the circles. However, when I try to export to PNG, JPEG, BMP, or any other format, the order of the elements changes such that the error bars on are on top of the circles. I have tried several variations of grouping and ungrouping but nothing seems to help. When I save as EPS, the order is retained; when I try to export from EPS to PNG, the order is changed as described above. I have other similar AI files that don't have this problem. I have tried this on both CS5 and CS6. Overprinting is turned off, and none of the elements have any transparancy. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and does anyone have a possible solution?

• 1. Re: Why is Illustrator changing layer order when I export?
          Mylenium CommunityMVP

Using belnding modes? Raster effects? What are your raster effect settings? Sounds like you are seeing a difference due to exporting at different DPI/ with different raster settings... Screenshots might help to clarify the issue...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Why is Illustrator changing layer order when I export?
            Tadow Community Member

Thanks for your response Mylenium. I'm not knowingly using any blending effects. My raster effect settings are:

Screen Shot 2013-04-19 at 9.57.53 AM.png

Attached are two screenshots to illustrate my problem. The first shows the AI file open in Illustrator with the correct order, the second shows the result of exporting to PNG. Notice that the error bars are brought forward in order during export.

AI.png

Figure 1 (above): the AI file open in Illustrator with the correct order.

PNG_export.png

Figure 2 (above): the PNG file after exporting. The export settings are as follows:

Use Artboards (all)

Resolution: High (300 dpi)

Anti-aliasing: Type optimized (hinted)

Not interlaced

Background color: White

I tried setting the raster effect setting resolution to be the same as the desired export resolution, but that did not solve the problem.

Thanks again for your help!

-Tadow

• 3. Re: Why is Illustrator changing layer order when I export?
              CHMprepress Community Member

Can you send us the original .ai file?