7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2013 7:36 PM by DerekWRBC RSS

My video justs stops

DerekWRBC Community Member

Having created a video (about 12 minutes) when I try to play it in the preview window it goes for perhaps 3 minutes and then the video just stops; the marker on the timeline continues forward, but the image shown remains the same. What am I doing wrong? I have a Windows 7 64bit system, i7, 12 gb of RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 260. Thanks.

• 1. Re: My video justs stops
          the_wine_snob Community Member

Can you please provide us with the full details of your Source Footage (the Clips that you Imported and placed on the Timeline), and then the Project Settings, where you are using those Source Files?

That might give us clues, as to what is going on.

Also, with any GUI display, or playback issue, I have to ask, have you updated your nVidia video driver, from the nVidia Web site? Do not trust Windows, or any driver utility, to tell you if you have the latest driver - check on the Web site.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: My video justs stops
            John T Smith CommunityMVP

Adding to what Hunt said...

How to determine your nVidia driver version

Right click in any open area of the Windows desktop

Select NVIDIA Control Panel from the popup window

Select SYSTEM INFORMATION at the lower left corner

Driver version should be the 1st line in Details

I have a GTX285 using driver 296.10

• 3. Re: My video justs stops
              Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

And please advise us which version of the program you're using.

• 4. Re: My video justs stops

The problem now seems to be fixed! I had not recently updated the video card driver and doing this seems to have resolved the problem. Thanks so much for the suggestion that I do that.

• 5. Re: My video justs stops

I spoke too soon. I added an audio track and now it is doing much the same thing; the audio plays through but the video in the preview window freezes. I can't believe how bad this program is. This stuff should just work! It is only a 12 minute video.

To answer the questions: NVidia GeForce GTX 260, updated yesterday, version 314.22   I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 10 (I upgraded from 9 and then didn't use it for a few months before they brought out 11). Source footage was raw and .mov files exported from Lightroom4 to a folder from which I am accessing from PE10. I chopped the stills resolution in roughtly half in order to try and avoid the problems I am now having so the the jpgs are roughly 1mb each and the movie clips (now mp4) unchamged. Camera was a Canon 5D Mark 3. Using 29 point whatever it is speed.(the one that is nearly 30 frames per sec.). Camera was set to that and I haven't changed anything. I get the impression that the computer simply can't handle the amount of data yet is is a reasonably fast i7 processor and has 12 gb of RAM. Any further help much appreciated. Adobe is lucky to have users that are prepared to help others like this.

• 6. Re: My video justs stops
                    John T Smith CommunityMVP

>so the the jpgs are roughly 1mb each

The key for video is not the size of the picture on the hard drive, but the pixel x pixel size

Pictures that are "overly" large may cause video editing problems

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 7. Re: My video justs stops

I sized all the stills to 2500 pixels on the longest dimension, to allow for zooming in or panning. When I ended up with roughly 1mb files I thought they would be small enough for the program/system to handle.

I have today created a rough rendered HD video and it worked fine, though took about an hour to make a 1.45gb file. The issue now is that I want to go back and tweak transitions, the syncing of the music I added, etc, just to make it better, and I have great difficulty even moving to different parts of the video without it freezing up. Just as if it is the system that can't handle it, yet it is, I suspect, a more capable system with more RAM than average.