12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2013 3:08 AM by Laubender

3-fold pages in order 5-6-1 and 2-3-4

Lilian Adema

I have to make a lot of 3-folds for print and mail.
      For the mail (pdf) I need to schuffle the pages manual.

Is it possible to make a 3-fold with pages in order 5-6-1 and 2-3-4.

• 1. Re: 3-fold pages in order 5-6-1 and 2-3-4
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How is this laid out now? 6 individual pages?

• 2. Re: 3-fold pages in order 5-6-1 and 2-3-4

And is this printing in-house or going to a commercial printer?

• 3. Re: 3-fold pages in order 5-6-1 and 2-3-4
              Lilian Adema Level 1

Indeed 6 individual pages, because the pages are used in 'normal' order for the low resolution pdf.

• 4. Re: 3-fold pages in order 5-6-1 and 2-3-4
                Lilian Adema Level 1

It goes to a commercial printer.

• 5. Re: 3-fold pages in order 5-6-1 and 2-3-4

Have you heard from them that they need the pages shuffled? It's normally their job to do the imposition before printing.

If you have to impose it yourself, I think I'd creat a two-page, non-facing file with three times the page width and set three columns, then place the pages from the original file in the order you want them. Doing it that way gives you only one file that needs to be edited when changes are required. You just update the links in the second file.

• 6. Re: 3-fold pages in order 5-6-1 and 2-3-4
                    Lilian Adema Level 1

Peter,

At this moment I also have one file, wich I export 2 times.
                    For me it's also neccessary to see the pages as a spread for the design.for

Thanks anyway for sharing your idea.

• 7. Re: 3-fold pages in order 5-6-1 and 2-3-4

I don't think you really understood what I was saying.

Instead of trying to shuffle 6 pages in your high res PDF, you really want just two pages, each with three panels, for printing. You can make that by placing the pages (shuffled into the correct positions) from your existing file into a new file. If your current pages are, for example, 4 x 9, the new file would have two pages 12 x 9, with three columns per page. On page 1 you would place your original pages 5-6-1, and on the other page 2-3-4. Export that as a Hi-res PDF for print.

The big adavantage to doing it this way is if the brochure needs an edit in the future you need only edit the original file and update the links inthe second. You don't have to spend time rearrange pages ever again.

• 8. Re: 3-fold pages in order 5-6-1 and 2-3-4
                        Lilian Adema Level 1

Maybe I didn't interpretate it correct. I'm not that good in English ;-)

I don't shuffle the Hi-res pdf, but only the low-res. I only have to pull page 5 and 6 to the end of the pdf.

In the InDesgin document I designed page 5-6-1 in that order. But I was hoping that I could number the pages alsow correct.

Than I could export the document Hi-Res and Low-res (both as single pages, the printer brings it in position) as page 1 till 6.

For now, have a goor weekend ;-)

Schermafbeelding 2013-04-19 om 17.51.10.png

• 9. Re: 3-fold pages in order 5-6-1 and 2-3-4
                          kbechtle116 Level 1

Peter,

I think you are missing her point. She needs a document in readers order (1,2,3,4,5,6) and then a document in printers order (5,6,1,2,3,4). I would create as facing page spreads of three pages in readers order. When sending the file to the printer, save pdf as single pages with bleed and let him impose to correct order. Make sure he sends you a final printers spread pdf for final approval.

• 10. Re: 3-fold pages in order 5-6-1 and 2-3-4

You can set the page numbers by starting new sections and assigning the correct start page number in the Numbering & Sections Options dialog.

I misunderstood the order you were doing the layout, so perhaps it doesn't make quite as much sense to make two files, though you could. In that case I would export the Hi-res version as spreads (because it doesn't need to be shuffled -- you've already done the layout in printer's spreads) giving you a 2-page PDF for the printer, and then I would make a new 6-page file the same size and place the pages in the correct sequential order for your readers and export that as low-res PDF without checking the spreads box, giving you a 6-page PDF.

• 11. Re: 3-fold pages in order 5-6-1 and 2-3-4

kbechtle116 wrote:

Peter,

I think you are missing her point.

Not in the least. What I misunderstood is the design is being done in printer spread order and shuffled to a new order in the low res version.

• 12. Re: 3-fold pages in order 5-6-1 and 2-3-4
                                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Lilian – you can do what you want with up to 10 pages and InDesign CS5 and above.

Here is a step by step description:

1. Create a new document: "Facing Pages" un-checked! (6 pages)
                                2. Go to the Pages Panel and un-check "Allow Document Pages to Shuffle"
                                3. Now drag pages 2-5 to the first spread

You should get something like that:

1-AllPagesOnOnePasteboard.png

Now you can rearrange all pages on that single pasteboard with the Page Tool:

PageTool.png

After rearranging the pages  I added some bleed:

2-RearrangePagesOnOnePasteboard.png

The page numbers stem from the one master page and are generated automatically.

If you are printing now pages 1-6, you'll get it right for your web application.
                                If the printers are using imposition software you could also provide page ranges 1-6.

Printing spreads with that arrangement is difficult…
                                Exporting spreads to PDF with [5,6,1] and [2,3,4] impossible.

Exporting ALL pages together to PDF as one spread is possible, but you should not do it by any means:
                                Wrong imposition. Some additional work in Acrobat Pro to fix it. The printer will hate you…

I think it's not your job to do the imposition.

Uwe