8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2013 12:01 PM by Peter Spier

Long Dialog wait times

Patrick@266

We are running InDesign on a MacPro 2008 with OS 10.8.3. Experiences tremendouly long wait times for the save & export dialog box to propagate  the drive's list of files. Have found no solution to the problem. Any insight would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Long Dialog wait times
          Arpit Kapoor Adobe Employee

[Moved the discussion to InDesign Forum]

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Long Dialog wait times
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You've given us nothing with which to help you.

What version of ID? What are the system specs on the computer?

What EXACTLY is tremendously long wait times mean?

Bob

• 3. Re: Long Dialog wait times
              Patrick@266 Level 1

Bob, We are using CS6, creative cloud edition.

Mac platform running OS 10.8.3 on a 2008 Macbook Pro.

The storage drive is an internal drive. The issue is the long wait times while we get the spinning wheel waiting for the list of files on the drive to appear.

We were told by Adobe that the problem was an external drive where we used to store the files. That drive was attached through PCI express card using ESATA.

We purchased a new internal drive and moved all the files there. The same problem exists. Adobe support has said they don't support the external drives and the internal overhead that might be causing the problem. Well, that has changed now with this internal drive, but yet the same problem.

We get this spinning wheel wait when we save as, export, or save an untitled file. What I"ve noticed is the Sharing section of the side bar is missing and when the list of files appear, so does the Sharing section with its list of sharable items.

Wait times for the file list can vary from just 15 seconds to up to 45-60 seconds which is eternity in computer time.

• 4. Re: Long Dialog wait times

Have you performed all of the recommended maintenance on the Mac? Repair

permissions, etc?

Bob

• 5. Re: Long Dialog wait times

One more question. With 10.8.3 on that Macbook, was that a clean install

or an inplace upgrade?

Bob

• 6. Re: Long Dialog wait times
                    Patrick@266 Level 1

Yes, I have repaired the disk, checked for directory issues. All clean.

I went so far as to use the new drive I installed, created a partition and installed a completely new, clean install of the OS complete with a new user. I've even tried experimenting with removal of all the user fonts, testing as we put them back group by group. Still no change.

Its not always repeatable, this problem. Some days are worse than others. If I knew what InDesign is doing at the point it opens these dialog boxes, I'd know where to look for the problem.

Illustrator and InDesign are the only pieces of software that have this issue. Photoshop does not and any other brand of software does not have this issue. And, the machine is a MacPro, not a Macbook. I added 4gig of ram to it as well, thinking that was the issue. It has a total of 8gig.

• 7. Re: Long Dialog wait times
                      Patrick@266 Level 1

I had a thought. What if InDesign was having a hard time with the large list of files. That drive has all of our client files on them. Some are active, some are not. About 750gig of data.

We made a new directory this morning on that new drive and moved only the files we are working for the day into that folder. Now that InDesign has been pointing only to that folder, we have not had a single delay.

that seems to be the clue we were looking for. We will work in this model for the next week or so to see if we have any more trouble.

Does InDesign have a limit as to the number of files in a folder on a drive?

• 8. Re: Long Dialog wait times
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As far as I know, ID does not, but those dialogs are generated by the OS.