9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2013 11:06 AM by Patschinsky

Adobe Media Encoder Export like source size

Patschinsky

Hey,

i´m trying to set up a custom export setting based upon HD BlueRay Mpeg setting.

My source is a custom size (1400 x 1050 px), but i am not able to change to "size as source".

Any Ideas how to change that?

THX

MArco

• 1. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Export like source size
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your source size is not compatible with anything MPEG. You will have to drop your comp in a standard HD comp with a standard frame rate and just let it crop. There are specifications that must be followed for BluRay. They are not changable.

Why is your source footage 1400 X 1050?

• 2. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Export like source size
            Patschinsky Level 1

Hey Rick,

thanx for coming back to me so quickly.

This strange format is based on specs used to project on a huge onstage vidiwall.

The original file is 2333 x 1050 px and will be projected by two projectors from left and right with overlapping formats of 1400 x 1050 each.

So what i need is to convert uncompressed ae-movs to om2v.

The media-server used can only handle m2v-files.

I can export directly from after effects with these specs, but would like to use AME to patch a couple of mov and use AE while AME converts.

so,

that´s my problem

Any idea?

thx

marco

• 3. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Export like source size
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to work with the supplier of the projection equipment. It sounds like you'll probably have to render a video file not a BluRay disk. The file would then likely be loaded to a hard drive for playback. These systems get awfully funky very quickly. Your frame size is out of spec for BluRay so no matter what you do you'll end up with a resized HD image from a BluRay player. The folks with the gear should have exact specifications for codec, data rate, frame size and sound.

This is exactly like producing footage to go to a film recorder for film out. They are all different so you have to send what the machinery was designed to use.

• 4. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Export like source size
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No, Adobe tools only output standard formats in accordance with the established ITU and MPEG specs. Unless you losen up the MPEG Level settings to the 4.2 or 5.1 ones, respectively, there is no way to define custom settings, but even thern it may not at all result in output that is in any way usable with your playback devices. Most of that stuff is rather hacky and uses bastardized MPEG "flavors" way out of spec...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Export like source size
                  Patschinsky Level 1

thanks rick

as said i am able to render mpeg2 as m2v directly from AE, which i am doing right know.

The "generic" mpeg 2 codec used in AEs export settings has no Blue Ray or DVD limitations and exports in source size.

Is it possible to, somehow import this export setting into AME?

Or can Adobe please integrate this into AME?

I really would like to use the benefits of AME while working on in AE!

THX

m

• 6. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Export like source size
                    Patschinsky Level 1

THX Mylenium!

Please read my last answer to rick on this.

It IS possible from AE, but not from AME, which doesn´t really makes sence to me, as i would expect a stand alone Encoder to offer more not less options.

As said, it really would be nice to work on in AE while encoding with AME in the background.

The file i´m working on right now rendres about 2 h!

however,

does anybody know how to talk to adobe directly on that topic?

If i havn´t overseen it, AME is not featured in ANY Support Options.

THX again for all your answers!!!

Marco

• 7. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Export like source size
                      Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Marco,

You can use AME to encode a 1400x1050 M2V file.

You need to use the generic MPEG2 format (not Blu-ray or DVD) and change the Level to High. (High 1440 will also work, but it is designed for specific applications.) You will also need to set the Profile to Main or High.

The most important factor is what type of MPEG2 streams your playback device will support. That will be important for setting the Profile and Level values, which constrain the bitrate and therefore the frame size/frame rate of the MPEG2 stream. (This is what Mylenium was referring to.)

Read this for more technical detail about different Profiles and Levels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.262/MPEG-2_Part_2#Video_profiles_and_levels

You cannot transfer encoding presets between After Effects and AME. However, remember than you can encode an After Effects comp directly from AME without rendering an intermediate comp first. Either drag and drop the comp from AE's Project panel into the AME queue, or simply import the AE project into AME, and choose the comp you wish to render. In the next version of After Effects, this process will be much easier with the introduction of a new Add To Adobe Media Encoder command from within After Effects.

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/04/whats-new-changed-after-effects-next.html

If you want to contact in-person support for AME, visit the following page and choose After Effects as the product (there is no AME option because AME is not sold separately).

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

• 8. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Export like source size
                        Patschinsky Level 1

Hey Tim,

thanks a lot for your reply!!!

I´l check that out and come back to you.

regards

marco

• 9. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Export like source size
                          Patschinsky Level 1

Hey Tim,

i just tried your suggestions.

Works GREAT

THX soo much!!!

marco