Were you actually expecting this to be perfect? If so, I suggest your
remove that thought from your head.
That said, what settings did you use when exporting the PDF?
No I was not, But thanks for pointing that out.
With that said, Pretty much Default settings, which setting would you suggest I use?
I need more than default. It sounds like a flattened PDF my be at fault. What is the Acrobat compatibility?
Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4) It's not Flattened. It has Layers intact.
And this was an export, right? You didn't print to PDF or distill?
Can you post screenshots of the problem?
Friday, April 19, 2013 1:06 PM
Re: InDesign to PDF to Word
created by BMurr2 <http://forums.adobe.com/people/BMurr2> in
/InDesign/ - View the full discussion
It would be a lot easier with the PDF.
Some ID PDFs don't translate out of Acrobat well. Fact of life. I use the Export as Word (DOCX) command. Acrobat XI does better than previous versions in my experience. But some images simply don't do well once in Word.
Take care, Mike
Have you noticed certain types of images that do better or worse. For example what type of image would you use to get the best results possible?
Sorry, no, I haven't paid a whole lot of attention. Some transparency works with some images, some don't do well. Heck, AI doesn't always like ID PDFs for that matter.
And I have only did this X number of times as it simply isn't a good workflow. I have only tried it after the fact as a shortcut to building a Word template. Usually I know ahead of time and so export from PS or AI with that in mind (one set for ID, one for Word specifically) and favor exporting images and or build-ups of images as single PNGs when destined for Word.
I haven't see the dropout that you are experiencing. What PDF flavors are you using?
Hmmm...when I see the way these have broken up and lost their transparency, combined with the types of basic shapes involved, I suspect these are all native-drawn InDesign items, as opposed to placed graphics or images. It just looks like their object-level properties are being lost/flattened/misinterpreted, which I wouldn't expect to happen with self-contained, linked files.
While I don't relate to the logic of your workflow, (nor do I know whether my presumptions are true), if this was mine, I'd try giving those items a layer of parse-protection by "double-baking" them. Export pages with these problematic items to a flattened PDF. Then, assuming the problematic items look correct in the resulting PDF, replace the original problematic items with placed-pdf versions before exporting to the whole thing to PDF to Word. I have no ideal whether it will work, but I'd try it.
Flavors = versions, types