7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2013 2:43 AM by Mylenium

After effects error at start up

Vox1st Level 1

error.jpg

So I got this error. Obviously it has to do with my graphics card. I have no idea what it means. I DID look at other people with similar issues, however they all seemed to be running Macs.

This Sniffer Result Code:1 is killing me! If its easy and would help, Im fine with uninstalling and re-installing after effects if I need to at this point. Just let me know how if you think that would do it.

My system:

64 bit windows 7

EVGA GTX 460 GPU

dual channel 16GB RAM

2 monitors, main screen 1920x1080p the second screen is 1280x1440p

My friend fiddled with my graphics settings, so I did a total reset on my graphics card driver. I mean completely reset it. So that was not the solution sadly.

I can provide more details if needed. I know this issue has come up, but I haven't found any solution yet. If people care, I do award points for answers.

• 1. Re: After effects error at start up
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The problem is here:

2 monitors, main screen 1920x1080p the second screen is 1280x1440p

This will most likely never work. Such configuration cause a lot of overhead and incompatibility in the graphics driver itself and ultimately bring your card to its knees, even more so when hardware acceleration liek in AE gets involved. Remove the secondary monitor and configure your graphics driver accordingly.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After effects error at start up
            Vox1st Level 1

It worked before just fine. I use the main screen for AE and the secondary one for other things. However now it doesn't work this way. Its strange. The single monitor seems to have fixed the issue. However my graphics card is very capable of running things on two screens, it is meant to do it. It just seems it was confused. I went from my set up, to a different 2 screen setup(2 1080p screens), to a 3 screen set up with an extra GPU, back to a two screen(the 2 1080ps) and then finally back to mine with the extra GPU removed. Glad your suggestion fixed it. Its so simple, its almost stupid!

• 3. Re: After effects error at start up
              Vox1st Level 1

well I don't know what happened, but it is giving me the error once again. I haven't done anything. I have my single monitor now. So I guess it was just when I turned it on for the first time after restarting to test it. The issue seems unrelated to my screen hook up, as I suscpected....sadly.

• 4. Re: After effects error at start up

Then tweak your graphics card settings. Something is storing invalid GPU info. Could be anything from a bad monitor profile to some weird font related issue.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: After effects error at start up
                  Klaus_Brandenburg Level 2

try this: go to nvidias webside and download the latest driver for your card. when installing choose "clean install" so all the old drivers, setting, etc get removed. does this work?

• 6. Re: After effects error at start up
                    Vox1st Level 1

I did a second clean install, nothing changed. Is it possible to just uninstall and then re-install after effects? If that would work I would want to do that. At this point I just want to be done with this issue. I don't want to have to fix it if a re-installation will rectify the situation.

• 7. Re: After effects error at start up

In so many words: No. Based on your description, AE works and the GPU Sniffer works - if they didn't, you couldn't launch AE even once. It's unlikely that a reinstall will change anything. You really have a problem on your system somewhere that corrupts or destroys the configuration data and then prevents AE from working, but I'm afraid this is computer geek stuff that would require hands-on investigation or a complete reinstall of your operating system and al lthe drivers. Again, check your fonts, Color Profiles, CoDecs, hardware drivers. Somewhere in there something is wrong.

Mylenium