5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2013 4:32 PM by A.T. Romano

Import and Export sections of material present in the Timeline

SAngeli Level 1

Hi,

I know it is possible with Premiere EL 11 to import and export titles.

I have an existing movie and am working on a new one. I wish to utilize part of what I created on the previous movie. Is it possible to copy part of the old movie and paste it into my new project being a different file? If yes, how to?

If not, then I start understanding why they sell EL for.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Import and Export sections of material present in the Timeline
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The only way to Copy and Paste between Projects is with a ClipBoard Extender, like ClipMate.

Now, you can use the WAB (Work Area Bar) on the Timeline in Project A, to Export/Share an AV file, of just the area that you wish to reuse, and Import taht into Project B.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Import and Export sections of material present in the Timeline
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For more detail on the WAB, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5170142#5170142

For one workflow, when creating and using "intermediate files," this article might be helpful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4556586#4556586

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Import and Export sections of material present in the Timeline
              SAngeli Level 1

Hi Bill,

I read your reply and the links you provided me with.

Basically what you are suggesting is to export a section of the AV into an MPEG file, and than import it back into the new video. Is this correct?

If so, how do I get individual components of the timeline? Say I have a mix of video, audio, picture and titles all in one section of the video that cannot be interrupted or separated. By doing what you suggest I will end up with one file. Importing this file back I doubt that I will restore all the individual sections but it will be a unique AV section. Am I right or not?

If yes, then this solution you suggest is not usefull because I need to export data that needs to be edited back. How to do so?

It this is not possible, hoping to not be unpolite PrE sucks at this. It is a common need to utilize old sections of a video if needed or if I work on a project and after hours of work I realize I have to start from beginning because the project setting is not correct I will loose those hours of work.

Thanks,

Spiro

• 4. Re: Import and Export sections of material present in the Timeline
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If you wish to move the elements in the Timeline, separate, then you will need a ClipBoard Extender app., like ClipMate, to Copy the desired Clips, Titles, etc., then Open a different Project move the CTI (Current Time Indicator) to the desired location, and Paste. You cannot do that, without a Clipboard Extender.

If you are using the WAB (Work Area Bar) to Export/Share a portion of the Timeline, you will NOT get the separate elements, i.e. Clips, Titles, etc., but an AV file, with those written to the new, output file. Editing that output file will be tougher, as the elements are now all combined, and all Handles in Clips, etc., will not be included. If one goes that route, then MPEG would not be my choice, and I would go with one of the suggestions in this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4556586#4556586

Remember, with that output method, the Clips (Audio & Video) will NOT have any Handles, and Titles will be burned in.

From your comments, I think that you want the ClipMate (or similar) workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Import and Export sections of material present in the Timeline
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Spiro

I would caution you about the use of ClipMate for Premiere Elements 11. Versions 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1, and 10 worked great for me and others.

But Premiere Elements 11 and versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 8.0/8.0.1 have problems in the copy/paste of audio and/or transitions between Premiere Elements projects. At this time, I know of no other copy/paste software to do the job that ClipMate did with the versions where it worked successfully in all respects.

I can offer you a detailed how to for ClipMate and Premiere Elements (all versions mentioned) if necessary. All the wrinkles worked out except for those in the versions mentioned.

ATR