28 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2013 12:48 PM by lsk2002 RSS

Clear Dry Ink

lsk2002 Community Member
      I am trying to use clear dry ink using photoshop and indesign. I have followed every instruction that I can find and have yet to get it to work. There has to be a missing step!!! Below is what I have been doing...This is for a Xerox® Color 800/1000 Press.

Sorry this is messy...I copied it from a brochure....

Anyone that can help? Thanks!

Creating effects in Photoshop

To highlight an area of your image with a
      soft edge and/or a gradient fill, add a spot
      channel for clear to your Photoshop file. Save
      it as a TIFF or PSD file and place it into InDesign
      on the clear layer.
      Creating a spot channel in Photoshop:
      1. Create a new path or select a shape.
      2. With your shape selected, add a new spot channel
      a. Name the new spot channel, use the same
      name as your clear ink swatch in InDesign.
      b. Select Color > M 100% or the same color  chosen in InDesign
      c. Select % value if desired.
      3. Save as PSD or TIFF with spot color included
      4. Place into InDesign on the clear layer.
      Setting up your InDesign file
      1. Add a new layer in the layers pallet and
      name it Clear.
      2. Move the clear layer to the top in the
      layers pallet.
      3. Add a new color in the swatches pallet and
      name the swatch
      Clear. This is the default
      in some color servers. It’s very important
      to use the same swatch name across all
      applications you might use. The swatch
      name is case sensitive.
      4. Designate the Color Type as  Spot.
      5. Set the Color Mode to CMYK: 0/100/0/0.
      You can choose any of the 4 process colors
      and set it to
      100%.
      6. Assign the color  Clear to fills and strokes of text or shapes created in InDesign and move them to the clear layer.
      7. To print clear over an image, text or graphic,
      set it to
      overprint so it will not knock
      out any image below. Select
      Window >
      Attributes > Overprint Fill and/or Stroke

• 1. Re: Clear Dry Ink
          P Spier CommunityMVP

so, what's happening?

• 2. Re: Clear Dry Ink
            rob day CommunityMVP

It looks like the Xerox 800/1000 is a CMYK printer with and extra toner channel and that channel has to be named Clear (case sensitive). The directions you posted for setting up a Clear spot channel are confusing because there are unnecessary  steps and the reference to process magenta  could throw you off.

You only have to set up a spot channel in Photoshop if you want to apply the Clear toner to part of a placed Photshop file. Here I might want a coating over the ampersand image but not the background, so I make the selection and choose New Spot Channel:

Screen shot 2013-04-20 at 11.19.36 AM.png

All that matters here is the name "Clear". The Color can be anything and doesn't need to be a process color as the directions imply

Screen shot 2013-04-20 at 11.19.53 AM.png

In InDesign you don't have to set up the spot color as described, simply place your image with the saved spot channel and the Clear color will be created:

Screen shot 2013-04-20 at 11.23.24 AM.png

Screen shot 2013-04-20 at 11.37.11 AM.png

Here I've turned off the Clear spot plate in Sep Preview:

Screen shot 2013-04-20 at 11.23.46 AM.png

• 3. Re: Clear Dry Ink
              P Spier CommunityMVP

Rob, How would you handle the overprint, though, if you wanted to add spot varnish over color in the Photoshop file? I've used spot channels once or twice in photoshop, but never with the intent to overprint, and I'm not sure that it will work without two images.

• 4. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                BobLevine CommunityMVP

Been a while since I've done that myself, but don't spot channels

overprint by default?

Bob

• 5. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                  P Spier CommunityMVP

Well, spot objects don't in ID....

• 6. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                    rob day CommunityMVP

In my example the spot channel is overprinting—to get a knockout I would have to select the spot area and delete the CMYK pixels, which I obviously wouldn't do for a varnish. In Photoshop you have to manually cut out knockout areas.

The ID Sep Preview shows it as a overprint:

Screen shot 2013-04-20 at 11.50.46 AM.png

Screen shot 2013-04-20 at 11.50.16 AM.png

Message was edited by: Rob Day

• 7. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                      rob day CommunityMVP

Well, spot objects don't in ID....

So if I want to varnish the entire image I wouldn't need the PS spot channel, but I do have to pay attention to the ID object's Overprint setting, which by default is unchecked and knocksout:

Screen shot 2013-04-20 at 12.02.18 PM.png

Screen shot 2013-04-20 at 12.02.13 PM.png

• 8. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                        P Spier CommunityMVP

Thanks, Rob.

• 9. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                          lsk2002 Community Member

ok....well apparently I can't post a link. I have done the spot color in photoshop and placed the pic into InDesign...it prints pink. I have even just drawn a box around something in the InDesign file. Placed it on the clear layer and made it the clear swatch (wihich is pink in ours)...it prints pink also....Oh and both have overprint checked on them.....Soo....I just don't know....Thanks!!

• 10. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                            lsk2002 Community Member

I tried to insert a link, but I can't seem to get it in the message....If you look up Clear Dry Ink

Design Tips and techniques for printing with clear dry ink on the Xerox

® Color 800/1000 Presses

you will see the pink brochure that my instructions are coming from.

• 11. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                              P Spier CommunityMVP

You should be able to just copy/paste a URL into a post....

• 12. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                rob day CommunityMVP

Could you open your document and screen capture your Swatches and Separation Preview panels? Like this:

Screen shot 2013-04-22 at 10.48.13 AM.png

Then we can be sure it's not a problem with the color setup.

Looks like the Clear spot color has to be mapped correctly at print time. Do you have this? (page6):

http://download.support.xerox.com/pub/docs/800_1000_DCP/userdocs/any-os/en_GB/788P00043B_F FPS_CDI_UserGuide_US_prntr_LR2.pdf

• 13. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                  lsk2002 Community Member

Something isn't letting me add a link or an image. Maybe our firewall?

• 14. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                    P Spier CommunityMVP

Are you trying to respond by email? If you come back to the web page you can try embedding your screen caps inthe post using the camera icon, like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 15. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                      lsk2002 Community Member

Yeah I tried Peter, but I kept getting and error message.  But after all this. I finally got it....yall will not believe this!!!! I finally found an old file someone had done. Everything was the same except for the word "clear". His was capitalized, mine was not. I knew they had to be consistent, but didn't realize the the Xerox printer was conrfigured for the clear coat as "Clear". Also went back to photshop and changed the spot channel to "Clear". It worked!!!! Wow!!!  Thanks for all the help though!!!

• 16. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                        rob day CommunityMVP

I finally found an old file someone had done. Everything was the same except for the word "clear".

See my #2

• 17. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                          lsk2002 Community Member

Well I had all mine set up the same. I just had no idea that the printer itself had a configuration for the word. All it was for it to be capitalized.......lol...

• 18. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                            lsk2002 Community Member

Rob, Can you explain how to do this just on a photoshop picture? If I have a picture and make a path around the picture. Add the spot color and a new layer....both called clear. My picture prints the color of the spot color...which in our case is that  pink color. But placed in InDesign it prints correct. I couldn't find an overprint setting in PS. All this is suppose to do is bring out the colors of the original photograph to make it stand out more.

Thanks, ls

• 19. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                              rob day CommunityMVP

Add the spot color and a new layer....both called clear.

Name's still going to be case sensitive in Photoshop.

You don't need a layer, in fact you can't apply a spot color to a specific layer.

If you are using the pen tool you have to turn it into a selection before you make the Spot channel. Like this:

Select your path in the Paths panel and click Load Path as Selection

PhotoshopScreenSnapz002.png

Make the spot channel for that selection

PhotoshopScreenSnapz003.png

Screen shot 2013-04-23 at 10.03.56 AM.png

Screen shot 2013-04-23 at 10.04.15 AM.png

Message was edited by: Rob Day, you can't apply a spot color to a specific layer.

• 20. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                                lsk2002 Community Member

Well, when I print it, it is pink....does it have to be a .psd....I am using a tiff....but I thought it could be either.

Thanks,

ls

• 21. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                                  rob day CommunityMVP

Did you get rid of the layer?

• 22. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                                    lsk2002 Community Member

yes.....:)

• 23. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                                      rob day CommunityMVP

If you can get it to work from InDesign then it must be something in the Photoshop print driver

• 24. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                                        rob day CommunityMVP

Is the color mode CMYK?

• 25. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                                          rob day CommunityMVP

Actually I've never tried printing 4-color plus spot separations out of Photoshop—I'm not seeing a way to do it to my Postscript printers. Try saving as Photoshop PDF (PDF/X) and print out of Acrobat Pro

• 26. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                                            jmlevy Community Member

I read this thread since it has started, and I wonder how you want yo use a spot channel in Photoshop… Why don't you create a clipping path in Photoshop, and import this file in InDesign, but without any mask. Duplicate it, with a zero offset, and on this duplicated image, make a mask with the clipping path. Convert the mask into a frame, and delete the image, so you keep only a frame which has the same shape as the clipping path. Fill this new frame, with the Clear color and check “overprint” in the Object options panel.

• 27. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                                              rob day CommunityMVP

There's not a problem with Photoshop spot colors in InDesign—they are very easy to make and can include gray values.

The last issue is printing from Photoshop not InDesign.

• 28. Re: Clear Dry Ink
                                                                lsk2002 Community Member

Hi Rob,

We had just thought that someone that doesn't work here anymore had done this in photoshop. He may very well have used InDesign.

Thanks for all the help and replies!!!