15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2014 7:27 AM by MarkYorns RSS

Files not listed in Project Assets

MarkYorns Community Member

I am using PE11, Windows 7 64.  I noticed not all the photo files I have in my project are listed in the Project Assets pull down.  And I further noticed almost all of the ones that are listed are not marked as being used in my project.  Is there a way to update the Project Assets?  I assum it should be automatic.  Maybe I have a corrupted project file?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Files not listed in Project Assets
          Steve Grisetti MVP

Files are not added to Project Assets until you add them, Mark.

Project Assets is not a list of media on your computer. It's a list of media files you've actually imported into your current project.

• 2. Re: Files not listed in Project Assets

The files are in my video project.

• 3. Re: Files not listed in Project Assets
              Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

Just checking: rightclick on a file in the timeline and Reveal in Project. Does that show the file in the Project Assets or not?

• 4. Re: Files not listed in Project Assets

I get an error when I do the above on a file that is not listed in the Project Assets, but is in my project.  The dialog box is entitled Premiere Elements Debug Event.  The message is Premiere Elements has encountered an error.  [..\..\Src\ProjectViewModeSwitcher.cpp-4000].  If I do the same for a picture that is shown in the Project Assets, it properly highlights that picture in the assets.  However, all the pictures shown in the assets are not flagged as being used in the project.  If I pick a picture from the assets and Insert to Timeline, it shows it being used in the project, but only once.  When I remove that instance, the flag is removed.

• 5. Re: Files not listed in Project Assets

I thought I would give everyone a good year to think about this one.  So go ahead and let the solutions pour in! 

The offending project is a basketball video for my daughter's team.  It is that time of year again to make another video and I wanted to open last year's video for reference and to use some of the assets.  I archived last years video trimmed.  When I opened the archive most of the assets were not found, but I was able to point to the originals and the entire project loaded.  At least in the timeline.  Almost all my assets are still not listed in the Project Assets - same as last year. 

The files & folders under my archived folder only included the assets that are listed in the Project Assets.  Hence the incomplete archive I guess.  Very strange behavior because PE knows what is in my timeline (it asked me to find the missing files) but once found, does not list it under Project Assets. 

My goal is to make this project whole again, and then archive it.  Do you think we can get there?

• 6. Re: Files not listed in Project Assets
                    A.T. Romano Community Member

MarkYorns

I would like to work with you on this, but I will be asking a lot of questions, requiring a lot of answers, and hopefully helping you to find Premiere Elements solutions.

1. If you start a new project in Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit Expert workspace and use Add Media/Files and Folders to import your source files, are they all represented in Project Assets. If not, which formats are not showing up in Project Assets and which are?

In Panel Options of Project Assets, what View are you using Grid or List?

2. You mention files that are on the Timeline but are not represented in Project Assets. The route is Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you are the one to drag your file to the Timeline. So, how did the file get to the Timeline in your case where there is no Project Assets representation for it?

a. You did a drag and drop from the computer hard drive to the Timeline?

b. You went the Add Media/Files and Folders/ route, and but the file on its own jumped the path and went from Files and Folders direct to the Timeline?

3. Your results with the Project Archiver Archiver Option (Trimmed) are very curious since the media copies in the Trimmed Folder are supposed to represent just the media that actually went onto the TImeline. Does any of this involved media storage or archived projects on an external hard drive?

Direction of the troubleshooting can take different directions depending your issue is specific to one project or extends to all that you try to create with Premiere Elements 11.  It can go from Damaged Project to Corrupt Settings File to other.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Files not listed in Project Assets

Thanks for taking a look at this!

1. Yes, a new project I started has all the assets in there.  All types are listed.  Even shows the assets I added to the project but did not put in the timeline (so no green dot).  I use grid view, but list view shows them all too. 

2. For the project in question, I am not 100% sure how i added files to the timeline back then, but I am almost positive I did Add Media>Files and Folders. And then dragged files from the dialog box.  It is how I normally add the files.  Files missing from the assets happened near the end of the project.  I don't recall an incident that resulted in the problem, just noted the files missing.

3. Yes, this project was started on an external hard drive and then archived to the same external hard drive.  The original files are also on the same external hard drive.  For the current project, I did do it differently.  I copied the files I wanted to my computer hard drive.  The project is located on my computer too.  I plan to archive it to my external hard drive when I am done.  Note that I have completed projects using the previous method (all on my external hard drive) and they worked as desired.

Just for reference, I tried deleting my preferences file (found this suggestion searching this forum - i think recommended by you), but that did not work.

• 8. Re: Files not listed in Project Assets

MarkYorns

Thanks for the reply with the details of the missing assets in the Project Assets of this one particular project that you created.

The puzzlement is how you can still have the file or files in the Timeline content and not have it or them in Project Assets. One explanation might be the setting of the Hide Video, Hide Still Images, Hide Audio sets for the Project Asset Palette. But if you say that some videos are not affected by this just some, that would knock out that idea.

How many assets are represented in the Project Assets? Do you create folders there to organize the assets? If so, if you had a lot of assets in Project Assets, could you be overlooking a folder with the files you describe as missing?

You wrote

When I opened the archive most of the assets were not found, but I was able to point to the originals and the entire project loaded.  At least in the timeline.  Almost all my assets are still not listed in the Project Assets - same as last year.

If you had a clip named 03 in Project Assets (not in a folder) and if you right clicked Timeline clip 03 and selected Reveal in Project, what happened?  The 03 clip should be selected/highlighted in Project Assets. But if you had that 03 in a folder in Project Assets, I do not see Reveal in Project highlighting the folder nor opening it to reveal the 03 inside.

Just some miscellaneous thoughts.

ATR

• 9. Re: Files not listed in Project Assets
                          the_wine_snob Community Member

MarkYorns,

When using external HDD's, this Tips & Tricks article might have some useful tips: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/784220?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Files not listed in Project Assets

MarkYorns

Referring back to my post 6, based on all that you have reported, I see no way to introduce an external hard drive into your Project Assets thumbnails disappearances. If the external hard drive were a factor in what you are describing, then you would be getting "Where is the file.....?" missing media messages and be greeted with colorful Media Offline displays in Project Assets and in the Timeline thumbnails. That is not the case.

The issue, "the existing Timeline thumbnail for the file coupled with the absence of its thumbnail in Project Assets" defy enternal hard drive implications.

Therefore we are very interested in your review of post 6 with the focus on Project Assets features.

More later.

ATR

• 11. Re: Files not listed in Project Assets
                              the_wine_snob Community Member

ATR,

I agree with you, regarding the missing Asset files. However, as Mark will be using externals in the system layout, I thought that it might be helpful to offer some tips.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Files not listed in Project Assets

ATR, there are 23 assets shown in Project Assets - 8 audio files, 4 still images and 11 videos.  In timeline I have 8 audio files, about 100 stills and about 140 video clips.  I did not create folders in Project Assets - I did not know I could do so.

If I right click a clip in the timeline that is in Project Assets and chose Reveal in Project, the clip is highlighted in the Project Assets.  If I do the same ofre a clip that is not in Project Assets, I get the error - Premiere Elements has encountered an error.  [..\..\Src\ProjectViewModeSwitcher.cpp-4000]

• 13. Re: Files not listed in Project Assets

Bill, thanks for the info external hard drives.  The slow transfer speed is why I chose to do everything on my computer hard drive this time around, and then to archive the finished project to the external drive.

ATR, I did encounter the missing files message the very first time I reopened this archived project.  I pointed the project to the appropriate locations on my external drive successfully.  Now I do not have problems opening the project, just problems with the Project Assets.

• 14. Re: Files not listed in Project Assets

MarkYorns

Could you remind me of the details of...

a. A year ago, you used the Project Archiver (Archiver option) to obtain a Trimmed Folder containing the project file (project.prel) and just the source media that had been used in the Timeline.

b. You say that when you opened the project.prel in the Trimmed Folder you got hit with the missing media messages "Where is the file.....?"  How did you restore the media to that project?

At that point, the only place for the opened project.prel to be looking for its media would have been in that Trimmed Folder, no place else even if there were duplicates of these files someplace else on the hard drive.

When you got those first missing media messages, were copies of the media missing in Project Assets still existing in the archived Trimmed Folder? Why didn't you point the "Where Is The Files....?" messages to the copies in the Trimmed Folder? Were they all gone? It looks like the project missing media were replaced from copies on the external hard drive instead.

I have tried all sorts of wild schemes to force the type of error and situation that you describe and have not been able to.

I need to think about "ProjectViewModeSwitcher4000".

More later.

ATR

• 15. Re: Files not listed in Project Assets

a. Correct.  However I did not check the archived project, nor the folders (my fault!).  What I have now, and believe I had then, are trimmed versions of only the assests showing in Project Assets.

b. All my original clips are still on my external hard drive, so I just pointed PE there.  I had to do it quite a number of times, but in the end the entire project loaded properly (except for the problem with Project Assets).

If I right click assets in Project Assets, about 1/3 show they are coming from trimmed folders.  The rest are coming from my original file storage.  So that is peculiar. 

Correct, the missing data was replaced with originals from the external hard drive.  I did not point them to the trimmed folders because they did not exist. I very well could have pointed PE to the original file if it did not find the trimmed folder, because I did not check if the missing file was listed in Project Assets or not.  I just assumed it was not.  I had to reconnect a lot of files as it was.  Trying to check each file that carefully would have taken way too long.  So may be that is why only about 1/3 the files are from the trimmed folders.

I know this seems like a crazy problem with no ryhme or reason.  Then top it off I am trying to recall what happened a year ago.  So thanks for giving it a try.