11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2013 2:56 PM by the_wine_snob

Pictures and Text not displaying crisp clear when creating a video

SAngeli Level 1

Hi,

since ver. 10 of Premiere EL (currently I run ver. 11) I have always had problems with the quality of pictures I include in a video. I also share the same problem with text when write titles.

Adobe support told me that there is an issue with round/square pixel and the aspect ratio of the video. I was also told that the PAR digital value for PAL is 1.09

I was lastly informed that I should use Photoshop EL to convert an existing picture from square to round pixel.

Now, I know my project is set to PAL AVCHD Full HD 1080i 25 (16:9) as the camera I recorded the video from was set to FullHD 16:9 PAL. The project will be burned into a DVD-R 4.7GB

Within this project I wanted to include some pictures I took and some text under Titles.

My pictures have similar technical info: 4143 x 2190 300dpi 24bit sRGB Bit/pixel 3.2 | 5616 x 3744 | 1655 x 900 and so on.

The text I included in Titles uses the font "Adobe Caslon Pro" dimension 68 without any animation.

Here are my questions:

1. how can I be able to insert/use pictures on a video I create with Premiere EL obtaining the same fine crisp clear resolution of the native picture taken and not a picture a bit blurry?

Do I always have to convert a picture taken from either the Internet, scanned or from a digital camera with respect to round and square pixel? if so is Photoshop EL the software I can use? If so, how to do so?

2. What fonts can i safely use so that when I play the final movie on the DVD the font will appear fine crisp clear and not a bit blurry? Why when using the current "Adobe Caslon Pro" it appears a bit blurry?

What I find strange is that when I see the text in the small windows of the working/developing area of Premiere EL (the one above the Timeline) the text is perfect and clear. When I reproduce thevideo on full screen the text is perfect and clear for as long as the video is paused. Once i hit Play it becomes a bit blurry.

If I can also ask, while I am here, I noticed that when applying a transition between Titles using the Fade-in or out, in this case in between the transition set to 1 sec (by default) does not produce a nice result because in between the transition I see the old text fading-out too sowly. When used in between pictures this transition works fine. Has anyone noticed this? With EL 10 I did not have this probelm.

Thank you,
      Spiro

• 1. Re: Pictures and Text not displaying crisp clear when creating a video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Spiro,

Are you certain that the tech rep said "Round Pixels," or maybe "Non-Square Pixels?"

Display devices, at this time, have either Square Pixels, like a computer monitor, or HD TV, or they have Non-Square Pixels, which are rectangular, and not square. An example would be a CRT TV. The Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR), is represented as a difference from 1.0, or a Square Pixel, say PAR=1.2121 for NTSC DV (SD) Widescreen 16:9. At this time, there is only one approved HD (High-Def) format, that uses Non-Square Pixels, and that is Anamorphic, with PAR=1.3333.

Now, I find that one of the Black San-Serif type faces/fonts, like Arrial Black, work very well in Video.

How Type looks in Video will depend on several factors, such as Interlaced vs Progressive. Also, the display device can have an impact.

If going to DVD, then this article might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3349385#3349385

You might also try Scaling your Still Images to match your Project's Frame Size in Photoshop. If you are looking for sharpest, then choose Bicubic Sharper as the algorithm. I vary betwen Bicubic Sharper and Bicubic Smoother, depending on the subject matter.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Pictures and Text not displaying crisp clear when creating a video
            SAngeli Level 1

Hi Bill,

you will find this very strange but I tried to share a section of the video (the same one I do play with blurry pictures and text) generating an MPEG HD 720p 25 file and guess what: the video, pictures and text display perfectly.

Now, what is wrong or what am I doing wrong when proceeding with the creating of a DVD?

How to be able to reach the same quality when burning a DVD just like the MPEG file I created?

For the rest I will let you know soon.

Is Bicubic Sharper part of Photoshop EL?

I do not know anything about Interlaced vs Progressive. I noticed I can select this when creating a new project. How to properly discern? I know that 90% of the times I record a video from an HandyCam in either HD or Full HD 1080i 25 (16:9) and that the DVD will be viewed at home on regular DVD players TV or on a PC.

Lastly, I am unable to know when working on a 16:9 project what is the respective size in px for creating in Photoshop a picture.

Thanks,

Spiro

• 3. Re: Pictures and Text not displaying crisp clear when creating a video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Spiro,

I have never used Photoshop Elements, but only Photoshop, so I cannot tell you.

In Photoshop, when Scaling (Image Size) an Image, the Interpolation Method can be chosen, with Bicubic Smoother, Bicubic Sharper, Bicubic Smart, Bicubic, Nearest Neighbor, etc.

For Interlaced vs Progressive, the first place that you will encounter that, is at New Project, and it should match your Video perfectly. Then, upon Export/Share, one often (depends on the format and CODEC) has the option to set that, and it should be chosen by the exact delivery method, say always Interlaced for DVD.

Glad that things are looking up.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Pictures and Text not displaying crisp clear when creating a video
                SAngeli Level 1

Hi Bill,

thank you for your reply. I will look into your answers today.

In reply to "Glad that things are looking up." I wish to let you know that I did not solve my main issue with production of DVD

When I generating an MPEG HD 720p 25 file the video, pictures and text display perfectly. This does not happen when when I select to Share to a DVD. How do I solve this issue? This is what I urgently need to solve as I have to produce a DVD.

Alternatively, I though of sharing the video as MPEG and than with another software create the DVD but this is silly. Why should I use two softwares when it should all be done with EL?

Thanks,

Spiro

• 5. Re: Pictures and Text not displaying crisp clear when creating a video
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You do know that DVDs are only about one-third the resolution of 1280x720 video, right? So no DVD is ever going to be as clear and as detailed as high-def video. This will be especially obvious on a computer screen, which displays at much higher resolution than a standard TV.

But your DVD should look fine when played on a TV.

The FAQs to the right of this forum offer more details.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1187937?tstart=0

• 6. Re: Pictures and Text not displaying crisp clear when creating a video
                    SAngeli Level 1

Hi Steve,

thanks so much for replying to me and sharing this useful info.

I believe the reason for my problems is becase I luck of experience.

So far, reading on the Internet I discovered the followings, for PAL 25fps:

Is this correct?

Now, I believe it is always good idea to record at highest resolution as you never know what is the final destination of a video. It can be viewed on the Internet, on a PC or on a DVD.

Now, could you please advise me what do I have to do in order to produce a fine look DVD when I have material such I do have now?

I need to know the followings (please see if you can reply to all of them):

1. What to choose from the list Premiere EL 11 presents when creating a new project?
                      Keep in mind my current material is PAL AVCHD Full HD 1080i 25 (16:9). My camera recorded the video set to FullHD 16:9 PAL.
                      Also the project will be burned into a DVD-R 4.7GB
                    2. How to manage pictures (png or jpg) I wish to include in the video when they have following specs:
                      4143 x 2190 300dpi 24bit sRGB Bit/pixel 3.2 | 5616 x 3744 | 1655 x 900 and so on.
                    3. How to manage titles and fonts I create straight within Premiere EL 11 to look fine.
                      They do not look fine at all even if I create them in the project.

Thank you,

Spiro

• 7. Re: Pictures and Text not displaying crisp clear when creating a video
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE 11 should pick up your AVCHD HD PAL footage, and create a matching Project for it.

Be sure to Copy the full folder structure from you card, to the computer, and then use Get Media to Import the media files (that folder structure is important, so do not forget it).

I Scale my Still Images in Photoshop before Import. I match the Frame Size of the Project, which, in your case, is 1920 x 1080. In Video, only the pixel x pixel dimensions are counted.

For the Text, going to DVD-Video, this article has a couple of links, that might prove useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3349385#3349385

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Pictures and Text not displaying crisp clear when creating a video
                        SAngeli Level 1

I am not quite there yet.

The card structure I deleted and only kept the main AVCHD containing those .mts files. Moreover, checking with Premiere EL, the use of Get Media to Import the media files requires (if I am not mistaken) that you have a device connected to the PC so that Premiere EL can link to it. Rather, I only receive video on an SD Card. So all I can do is Get Media from files and I have to select the ones I need. But, in general I use MediaInfo to find out the full specs of the media and this is sufficinet to allow me to set the proper project setting.

I believe this should solve the first issue. Correct?

As for pictures, it is a good idea to scale them in Photoshop before adding them to the project and yes pixel x pixel. How to find out the correct size to scale them to respecting the aspect ratio? I say so because sometime by just using 1920 x 1080 it could distort them as it does not respect the natural ratio of a picture. Where do I obtain the exact scale size in px to apply? Is it from the project itself? Say in my case for DVD I know I cannot higher than 720 × 576 pixels would this be the numbers to use?

For text I have already seen this link but did not find a useful solutions.

I believe I start understanding the problem: if I know I wish to create a DVD I should upfront create a project PAL 16:9 25fps with 720 × 576. This should solve all issues, pictures and text related. Could it be?

But still, I do not understand one concept: if a picture or a video is bigger in px then what a DVD can reproduce 720 × 576 px should Premiere EL automatically auto-adapt multimedia items without loosing quality (same concept of when in Photoshop I scale a picture from 4143 x 2190 to 720 × 576)?

One last question: how come when sharing a video to DVD Premiere Elements 11 only presents, in the DVD drop down menue, NTSC selections and not also PAL which is what I need?

Thanks,

Spiro

• 9. Re: Pictures and Text not displaying crisp clear when creating a video
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the Aspect Ratio, you Still Images are not 16:9, like the Video's Frame Size.

That means that some cropping will need to be done. You can universally Scale, to the 1920 width, and just let the Video's Frame Size effectively crop the height - a little off the top & bottom. If you want more top, or more bottom, just use the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position, and adjust, as necessary.

With MTS files, Audio is often lost, without the full folder structure. Now, if you use PrE to Import from the card, in a reader, or in the camera, it should also Copy over the necessary metadata required. So check that you have the full Audio with the MTS files. If so, then you have all that you need.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Pictures and Text not displaying crisp clear when creating a video
                            SAngeli Level 1

I wish to recap some questions and answers.

Bill Hunt wrote:

Are you certain that the tech rep said "Round Pixels," or maybe "Non-Square Pixels?"

I do not have this in writing so I am unable to properly recall but I am sure I was told about PAR and Non square px.

Steve Grisetti wrote:

You do know that DVDs are only about one-third the resolution of 1280x720 video, right?

I now know, thanks to all the links provided and some research that a DVD at 25fps (PAL) can reach up to 720x576

As for Pictures to use in PrE, I now know that I have to scale them in Photoshop before importing them into the project. I know I have to respect 720x576px max size but sometimes it is not possible to set a strict 720x576 because the Aspect Ration will not be correct.

On another thread I was told that "do make sure that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size before you add them to Premiere Elements "

Can someone please give me some answers in number if you were to scale these kind of pictures?
                            4143 x 2190 300dpi 24bit sRGB Bit/pixel 3.2 | 5616 x 3744 | 1655 x 900 and so on.

What I do not know is if dpi should remain 300 or if I can lower it up to 72 (this is what PC monitor displays).

Also, if I wish to create in Photoshop a new project for creating an image to use for PAL 16:9 still for DVD what size should I set the project? 720x576?

Is there a table that summarizes size (in pixel) for Photoshop for when I wish to create images for videos or the video resolution is the size of the picutre itself?

I wish to get this straight. Please if possible try to answer to all my questions because if I do not understand what I ask or I do not get an explicit answer it is pointless to ask as will still be stuck with the problem. Sorry for asking this.

Thank you

• 11. Re: Pictures and Text not displaying crisp clear when creating a video
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

For Still Images, used in Video, DPI/PPI are ignored, and are meaningless. The only thing that matters is the pixel x pixel dimensions of the Still Images.

I Scale my large Still Images in Photoshop (Photoshop Elements can do this, as well), to the exact pixel x pixel dimensions needed, say 1920 x 1080. If my Aspect Ratio of the Sill Images does not match the Aspect Ratio of my Video Project, then I will Crop my Still Images, to match the Aspect Ratio of the Project. Most stills cameras shoot 4:3, and most of my HD Projects are 16:9, so I will Crop off a bit of the top and bottom, or perhaps top, OR bottom.

In my Scaling, I use either Bicubic Sharper, or Bicubic Smoother for the Interpolation algorithm, and the chocie depends on the original Image. I then create (or use an existing Action), and Action and do an Automate>Batch for an entire folder of my large Still Images.

Good luck,

Hunt