6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2013 8:04 AM by MiralysXX

resize while printing

MiralysXX

I created a photoalbum in Indesign CS6 (Mac, Lion) in 30cm x30cm. While I wish to print it in this size I also want to print a smaller size. Resizing the pages with Layout adjustment constantly produces weird mistakes, so I'd like to resize it while printing to ps. Unforturnately that option is greyed out. Any ideas? Better work arounds? Tools I haven't found yet?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: resize while printing
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

One method would be to place the pages into a new file and scale them as you place them. You can use Scott Zanelli's script to do that, and you'll find it here: InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files

• 2. Re: resize while printing
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Or, Export a PDF and scale it on output from there.

Capture.PNG

• 3. Re: resize while printing
              MiralysXX Level 1

@Bob: This would indeed work if I actually printed it myself. I didn't point out that I still need a pdf (in the correct, smaller size) to send it to the printer... my mistake, I guess.

I will check out Peter's solution, but with over 200 pages I was hoping for an easier way... besides, there doesn't seem to be a version for CS6?

Thanks so far!

• 4. Re: resize while printing
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The printer should be able to scale, and I would only use the new file method if the aspect ratio of the page needs to change (meaning the margins will need adjustement). The CS5 version of the script also works in CS6.

• 5. Re: resize while printing
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If the printer can't handle that simple instruction, I would be looking

elsewhere.

Bob

• 6. Re: resize while printing
                    MiralysXX Level 1

@Bob: Well, it took quite a while to find a printer who prints photobooks in the exact size (10"x10") I want, and ships to Germany for a reasonable fee, and while I think they may be able to correctly handle the request, it may be safer to send them the file in the correct size - I had my share of experience...

If you know of a printer you can guarantee for, and who offers photobooks that fit my requirements, please let me know! (I was going to order at viovio).

@Peter: Yes, I need to change the size of the bleed, as it is not proportional and would be too small. I was going to make the bleed in the original (30cm x 30cm) file bigger, (fortunately only a few pages need a manual change as most have a white margin), so when shrunken proportionally it would have the correct size (3,75 mm would shrink down to 1/8"(3,175mm)).

I tried the MultiPageImporter and apart from having to find the correct percentage (must have miscalculated) and a few tiny hiccups (the semitransparent double page background images are split in two and overlap), it seems to work like a charm. Thanks a lot!