7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2006 10:24 PM by JakeSee

How to freeze background

JakeSee
      Dear Expert,

How to freeze background

i have a single frame swf (1000x500) with buttons all over. clicking on the buttons will loadMovie into a movieclip same size as stage (1000x500). Apparently, the oringal swf is still active and will still react to mouse overs and presses. How can i freeze the background so that mouse events are ignore in the background and focus is only on the forground movieclip?

How to scroll a movie clip or content with picture and text

I searched high and low, but looks like my search terms are all in the wrong direction. I couldn't find any tutorial that teachs that. for one, i'm using version 7.2.

Basically i want to feature a "cast and crew page" that will be loaded into the Movieclip as described above. now, i've got to be able to scroll the pictures of the cast and crew and their description. Flash help only teaches scrolling for dynamic text. The rest i don't understand.. can someone please help?

Best regards,
      Jake
        • 1. Re: How to freeze background
          neil manuell Level 1
          to freeze button:
          makesure they're in a wrapper mc (maybe buttonHolder)
          then you can:

for (var n in buttonHolder){
          if(typeof(buttonHolder[n])=="movieclip"){
          buttonHolder[n]).enabled=false
          }
          }

>How to scroll a movie clip or content with picture and text

take a look at the scrollbar component for other
          • 2. Re: How to freeze background
            Level 7
            If you are using button symbols, you can disable the buttons with the
            enabled property when you load the external cast movie.
            myButton_btn.enabled = false

If you are using movieclip buttons, the you delete the event handlers when
            you load the external case movie.
            delete onMouseOver

Another approach is to use frame 1 for your loader buttons and move to frame
            2 for loading the external movie. Then back to frame 1 when the view is
            needed.

--
            Lon Hosford
            www.lonhosford.com
            Flash, Actionscript and Flash Media Server examples:
            http://flashexamples.hosfordusa.com
            May many happy bits flow your way!
            "JakeSee" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:e6p0i5$ilu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Dear Expert,
            >
            > How to freeze background
            >
            > i have a single frame swf (1000x500) with buttons all over. clicking on
            > the
            > buttons will loadMovie into a movieclip same size as stage (1000x500).
            > Apparently, the oringal swf is still active and will still react to mouse
            > overs
            > and presses. How can i freeze the background so that mouse events are
            > ignore in
            > the background and focus is only on the forground movieclip?
            >
            >
            > How to scroll a movie clip or content with picture and text
            >
            > I searched high and low, but looks like my search terms are all in the
            > wrong
            > direction. I couldn't find any tutorial that teachs that. for one, i'm
            > using
            > version 7.2.
            >
            > Basically i want to feature a "cast and crew page" that will be loaded
            > into
            > the Movieclip as described above. now, i've got to be able to scroll the
            > pictures of the cast and crew and their description. Flash help only
            > teaches
            > scrolling for dynamic text. The rest i don't understand.. can someone
            > please
            > help?
            >
            >
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Jake
            >

• 3. How to freeze background
              neil manuell Level 1
              you can enable mcs too:

enabled (MovieClip.enabled property)
              public enabled : Boolean
              A Boolean value that indicates whether a movie clip is enabled.
              Availability: ActionScript 1.0; Flash Player 6
              • 4. Re: How to freeze background
                JakeSee Level 1
                Woah.. the moving frames approach is neat! saves time from scripting. But anyways, i already implemented it in the enabled way already. thank you all of you! -- clearly, searching for "freeze background" in google is useless...

As for the scrolling, i still don't know how. I manged to do it with a mask over a movie clip then alter the _x property. Is there a proper way to do this??

Another question: while implmenting the masking scroll method, i realised that there is a limit to how long the static text flied can be. so... does anyone knows what is the limiting factor? text length? height? or no such thing at all?
                • 5. Re: How to freeze background
                  Level 7
                  Scrolling is done by placing content on a MovieClip object and moving the
                  MovieClip object as you are doing. If the open area is smaller than the
                  stage, then a mask is the way to go. The reset is the relationship in code
                  to your scrollers and the _x and _y position of the clip.

If you are willing to use Flash UI components the the ScrollPane component
                  might interest you:
                  http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash/8/main/00003970.html

Not sure why you would want to have so much text. Generally the amount of
                  text is a design decision. But if you do have lots of text consider a
                  dynamic TextField with a scroll bar and again if you do not mind Flash
                  components the UIScrolBar is one to look at.
                  http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash/8/main/00004219.html
                  --
                  Lon Hosford
                  www.lonhosford.com
                  "JakeSee" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:e6pmkj$hsb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Woah.. the moving frames approach is neat! saves time from scripting. But
                  > anyways, i already implemented it in the enabled way already. thank you
                  > all of
                  > you! -- clearly, searching for "freeze background" in google is useless...
                  >
                  > As for the scrolling, i still don't know how. I manged to do it with a
                  > mask
                  > over a movie clip then alter the _x property. Is there a proper way to do
                  > this??
                  >
                  > Another question: while implmenting the masking scroll method, i realised
                  > that
                  > there is a limit to how long the static text flied can be. so... does
                  > anyone
                  > knows what is the limiting factor? text length? height? or no such thing
                  > at all?
                  >

• 6. Re: How to freeze background
                    Level 7
                    The disabling of a MovieClip object may not disable the MovieClip event
                    handlers such as onMouseMove or Button symbol objects contained within.

--
                    Lon Hosford
                    www.lonhosford.com
                    "the fleece" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:e6pd08$5k0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > you can enable mcs too:
                    >
                    > enabled (MovieClip.enabled property)
                    > public enabled : Boolean
                    >
                    > A Boolean value that indicates whether a movie clip is enabled.
                    >

• 7. How to freeze background
                      JakeSee Level 1
                      Thanks for your two cents . I managed to overcome the "text overflow" by using multiple static text fields. So indeed, the masking method was the way to go yea?

PS: Oops.. this post is not the answer... will not commit this mistake again... is there a way to unmark this as answer?