10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2013 1:53 PM by the_wine_snob

Aline icons

Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did anyone every noticed the aline icons in the Titler are wrong?

Behaviour is correct, text is correct but imo someone swapped the icons.

aline.png

• 1. Re: Aline icons
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

They look right to me. Vertical is up and down, horizontal is left and right.

• 2. Re: Aline icons

Try it and you will see. Look at the behaviour not the icon.

Aline should be Align.

• 3. Re: Aline icons
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sorry, Ann. It works as described for me.

• 4. Re: Aline icons
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

I see what you are talking about. The Tool Tips are correct, but the little symbols are the opposite from how they show in PrPro, which seem better indicators of what alignment is about to be applied.

I think that someone swapped the symbols in PrE 11?

Hunt

• 5. Re: Aline icons
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Just checked in PrE 4 (do not have PrE, except for 4 and 11), and though the icon symbols are different, they show and work, as they do in PrPro.

Think that you have caught the GUI designer in a "Woops" moment.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Aline icons
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill Hunt and Ann Bens,

I do not see what you are talking about here. I agree with SG and what he has written.

I have Premiere Elements 4, 7, 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1, 10, and 11 on Windows 7 64 bit. Versions 4 through 10 have the same two icons here (Vertical Center and Horizontal Center) and both work as advertised. Up/Down or vice versa for Vertical Center, and Left/Right or vice versa for Horizontal Center).

In version 11, these options are named appropriately and behave the same as in earlier versions of Premiere Elements although the icons have a very slight different look.

The topper is when it is suggested that the function "Align" is misspelled as Aline. Where do you see that?

I have read Ann Bens suggestion

"Try it and you will see. Look at the behaviour not the icon." I have been there and done and am not seeing a Premiere Elements (any version) problem here.

ATR

• 7. Re: Aline icons

The reason I brougth up this subject is because in big Brother Premiere Pro the icons are the other way around. So either Elements is wrong or Pro. My guess its Elements. Any engineers roaming this forum?

• 8. Re: Aline icons
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Take a close look at the symbols on the two icons. Ignore the Tool Tips.

If you have PrE 4.0 (I do not have intermediate versions, so cannot check those), and you will see symbols that are closer to those in PrPro, though they were not quite so simplistic. I think that in the GUI design of the Titler (PrE 11 was a fairly significant re-design), an engineer just swapped the two symbols around.

Also, I think that Ann just missed that "g" in Align. That happens to me, as well, when a finger does not get the message to hit a certain key, though the brain did send that message...

Because the Tool Tips ARE correct, it took a bit of A-B comparisson between PrE 4.0, and PrPro, to see what Ann was referring to, regarding the icons' symbols. As soon as I got past the large Tool Tips messages, it was easy for me to understand Ann's comments.

I doubt that it will make any difference to a PrE users (the Tool Tips cover that well), but if one uses both PrE and PrPro, there will be a few "oops" moments, if the Tool Tips are ignored.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Aline icons
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill Hunt and Ann Bens,

I am strickly an long time Elements Windows type user. So, I went searching for the nearest Premiere Pro setup whose Titler I could sneak a peak at.

If I were a Premiere Pro user who was dependant on tool tips, I would be in big trouble in Premiere Pro. How long has the Center: Horizontal Center and Vertical Center representations been going on?  That is...

The Titler there had 3 sections: Align, Center, and Distribute.

The Center section has two icons. If you bring your mouse curser to one, it shows "Vertical Center" and performs centering up/down or down/up to the vertical center as would be expected. But, the icon that represents Vertical Center has a horizontal line through the center box in the icon. Not expected. If you bring your mouse curser to the other, it shows "Horizontal Center" and performs centering right/left or left right to the horizontal center. As would be expected. But, the icon that represents Horizontal Center has a vertical line through the center box in the icon. Not expected. In this situation, I would consider Premiere Pro icon graphics to be misrepresenting in nature with regard to the expected action resulting from clicking on the icons. On the other hand, versions of Premiere Elements appear to be representing these options in all respects.

It was suggested that Premiere Pro is correct in these representations and that they best represent what is really going on. No way, as far as I have found.

ATR

• 10. Re: Aline icons
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

But, the icon that represents Vertical Center has a horizontal line through the center box in the icon. Not expected. If you bring your mouse curser to the other, it shows "Horizontal Center" and performs centering right/left or left right to the horizontal center. As would be expected.  [Emphasis mine.]

It is the first part, the "Not expected," that Ann is commenting on. The Tool Tips DO match the actual operations, which yields the intened, and expected results.

In PrPro, the icons have remained pretty much the exact same, since at least version 1.5, and IIRC, go back in Premiere (the precursor to PrPro and PrE) to at least version 5.5, or shortly after Premiere dropped Title Deko, for the XML instructions in the Project file, that both PrPro & PrE use now.

Hunt