5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2013 2:58 PM by [Jongware]

Text Edit table > InDesign Table?

wkjeiwoi Level 1

I have a table in Text Edit right now, actually got the data in table form from the web; copy and pasted.

I'd like to have more control over the table and contents than Text Edit gives but can't seem to "pour" the data into a table in InDesign..is there a way to do this?

I built my table with as many columns and rows as the source..dunno what the trick is.

thank you for any clues!

w

• 1. Re: Text Edit table > InDesign Table?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's hard to tell really without seeing it, but assuming the material coming from the web has converted to tabular text (in the form "text...[tab character] text [tab character] text [return]") then you can save the Text Edit file as text. Choose Format > Make Plain Text in Text Edit. Save as a ".txt" file.

Open in InDesign file and place the text file. Then select the rows from the table and choose Table > Convert Text to Table.

• 2. Re: Text Edit table > InDesign Table?
            wkjeiwoi Level 1

thank you Steve..that did work. the actual source of this tabular information is at this link: Full Property Table.

I got the data in there, and then got the bright idea of simply PDF-ing the page. But I do want to re-visit this idea so that I could "own" the workflow I'm describing.

Granted this is a big table, but I'm sure ID is up to this type of task.

Thank you for responding to my question.

w

• 3. Re: Text Edit table > InDesign Table?
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

No need to go through TextEdit: do a "Select All" on that web page. Go to InDesign. Paste.

Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 11.04.01 PM.png

You get quite a bit more than 'just the table', but it's all local formatting and easily removed if you want it to.

If you only get the plain text anyway, you can (a) check "Paste All information" in "Clipboard handling" in your Preferences, or (b) select the pasted text and then select "Convert Text to Table". The latter way is also easier if you want to reformat everything anyway.

• 4. Re: Text Edit table > InDesign Table?
                wkjeiwoi Level 1

Jongware;

I get the data in there, but after selecting convert text to table, my heads are not over the columns they should be, as they are in your png graphic example..is there another step perhaps which I missed?

thank you!

w

• 5. Re: Text Edit table > InDesign Table?
                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

The image is from a plain Copy Web Page, Paste in InDesign, as described.