7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2013 3:48 PM by Peter Spier

Placement of datamerge boxes and moving master page items

NZ Bookgirl

You helped me with my data merge problem earlier. Now I have successfully brought my excel info into Indesign with datamerge but I can't seem to get the multiple boxes to sit on my page, they are grouped together to the left and down from my page.

Also I've used master pages to create a header and footer for each page and the left hand page behaves as it should, but the objects on the rh master page appear lower and to the right of where they should be. I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I mean. It's a bit hard to see the rh page header, but it should be similar to the lh page. I'm using CS6.

Screen Shot 2013-04-22 at 2.47.15 PM.png

• 1. Re: Placement of datamerge boxes and moving master page items
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not sure what causes this to happen, but we've seen some other similar reports. That looks like a multiple records per page merge, and it looks like you have overset text in a number of the frames (which is probably not relevant, but the multiple records is). How did you set up?

Multiple records merges need to use a single-page template. I think perahps the probelm could be related to the template setup, and I would try making the template file non-facing, and applying the [None] master. Also set the margins so the bottom and right margins aallow more than enough space for all the frames. After the merge, you can switch to facing pages and apply your master page with the headers.

• 2. Re: Placement of datamerge boxes and moving master page items
            NZ Bookgirl Level 1

After a bunch of trials and errors I think I've done the multiple records correctly. Just had an A4 page with nothing on it except the one text box and with no master pages - I changed to facing pages and did the master pages after I'd done the data merge.

It seems odd to me that the header and footer on the lh page is correct but not on the rh page when they've been made the same way.

I've just gone through my whole document and moved all the text boxes to where they should be and if I don't come up with some remedy that's what I'll do with the rh page but I'd really like to solve this mystery as I'm so pleased with the whole data merge system that I'd like it to work 100% properly.

The overset text is not a problem as I'm going to link my text boxes to deal with text of different lengths and some fields to be deleted. I've done the data merge several times while I worked out the right size for the text box to fit my desired page format.

• 3. Re: Placement of datamerge boxes and moving master page items

So you were already doing the None master and a single page? Is the template doc set up as non-facing (it should be)? Do the frames move when you change to facing after the merge?

I have to say we've seen progressively more problems with data merge with each version since cs4 and had to come up with more workarounds for them.

• 4. Re: Placement of datamerge boxes and moving master page items
                Hima.ib

There is a Script called   "AdjustLayout" may help you in the issue related to text boxes which aren't in the right place.  instead of fix by move text boxes to where they should be manual one by one, You can use this script , i think it will be useful in adjust content to the page in whole document. i used it in a problem like this.

• 5. Re: Placement of datamerge boxes and moving master page items
                  NZ Bookgirl Level 1

Yes I was doing no master, single page, non-facing. When I move to facing after merge it gives me a double spread with the frames low to the left (as in my original screen shot). I experimented with putting the single text box pre-merge in different places on the page but always the same result.

It was quite easy to realign all the frames. I'm more concerned about the master page items being moved. Any clues on that? Or perhaps it's linked to the datamerge frames, although where the header has moved to doesn't seem to relate to the position of the frames either.

• 6. Re: Placement of datamerge boxes and moving master page items
                    NZ Bookgirl Level 1

I haven't used scripts before but will investigate this, thanks. Probably after I finish this job now as getting it done has priority over getting the beginning stage to work so am moving things manually so I can make progress.

• 7. Re: Placement of datamerge boxes and moving master page items

What is happening with your file is a long way from normal. I wish I knew why it was happening, but I have no idea at all.