3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2013 1:15 PM by Brett N

Workflow for post processing offline images

Keith_Andrews

I'm a professional real estate photographer who normally edits his own images after a photoshoot. I've recently become so busy that I'd like to outsource the post processing of my images to another individual who also uses Photoshop.

Is there a way to send this individual lower resolution images so he can work on them and then have him send me the metadata from his edits, so I can apply them to the images I have on my system? The reason for this question is because I'd like to minimize the size of the images I'm sending to the editor, but still be able to produce high resolution stills.

I understand there is a way to work with RAW images and save the metadata, but that doesn't fix the file size issue, and you can only save certain aspects like white balance, levels, etc... I really need a way to capture his history and save that to a file, that way if he were to use a certain filter, or brush on the image, the same results would be applied to my images.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 1. Re: Workflow for post processing offline images
          Brett N Adobe Employee

Any edits performed in Adobe Camera Raw can be saved to metadata and then applied to another file. But if you are looking for edits performed in Photoshop proper, then the best you are going to get is saving the history to the file. This can be enabled in the Preferences under the General settings. At the bottom you'll see a section for History Log. You can then use this information to recreate the edits.

Depending on the type of edits, you may have have the edited files saved as PSD and then Place the full resolution version of the file to replace the low-res version (and increase the size of the canvas).

• 2. Re: Workflow for post processing offline images
            Keith_Andrews Level 1

Thanks for your reply Brett. I was able to find the history log settings under preferences and was able to generate a log file using the .txt format. I am a little confused as to what to do with the file now.

I understand that there is a "place" option, but I guess I just don't understand the workflow and how the history log would be applied to the full resolution version of the image I am working on.

If you have any further advice for me I would greatly appreciate it!

• 3. Re: Workflow for post processing offline images
              Brett N Adobe Employee

You can't apply the history log, it is just information on what has been done to the file. You would have to read this file and simply repeat the same steps on the higher resolution version of the file.

As for the replacement work flow I mention: you would open the low resolution file that your worker created. Then you would use the Place command (under the File menu) to add your original high resolution version of the image as a new layer. This will make your image a Smart Object layer. Move this layer to the bottom of the layer stack, just above Background, if that is an option. Make sure your smart object is at 100% scale (when you place the file, it is shrunk to fit the existing document boundaries), you can do this by using Free Transform (under the Edit menu) and verifying the values at the top. Then use the Reveal All command (under the Image menu) to resize the canvas to fit the full resolution version of the image. However, this really will only work if the editing involved was pretty much nothing by adjustment layers. Any pixel edits will have to be resized as well and may loose detail or not line up correctly once enlarged.