6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2013 3:02 PM by MW Design

Workflow question:  XML or DOCX?

RealRavage Level 1

Good day,

I have been tasked with creating a catalog (about 100 pages). 

My knowledge of Indesign is above basic, but I might be alittle over my head and I am looking for some guidance. 
      I have created a database for user input to help me create this catalog.  I can export it as XML or DOCX  (Just about any format I need)
      I would like to export each page as a document.  (XML or DOCX)
      on each page is different fields from the database.  ie.  Title, info, lists, body and so on.
      I would like to be able to mark each of those enteries with a style name so that I can have them link to the styles that I setup in indesign.

(I am not sure how to write the correct formatting for the styles)

My hope is to be able to load each of the entries on to thier own page, and have them already styled with the styles I have setup with indesign.
      My problem is I am not sure if this would be better to do with XML or with DOCX?  or maybe I am going about this all wrong and there is a better way.

Any help on this would be greatly apprecated.
      Dave Stabley
      [David@stabley.com | mailto:David@stabley.com]

• 1. Re: Workflow question:  XML or DOCX?
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If each product gets its own page, and the layouts are the same, this would be an excellent candidate for datamerge.

• 2. Re: Workflow question:  XML or DOCX?
            RealRavage Level 1

That is something I will have to look up.   If it helps this is for a school, each page is a different class. but basically each page will be the same with different data.  What I am hoping to do is create the space on the page and let it be populated by the data.   That way if there is a change to the data it will just be updated and still keep all the styles and such.

• 3. Re: Workflow question:  XML or DOCX?
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's possible that datamerge could work for this. The data would have to be set up in excel, with all the info for each page being on its own row in Exel -- one row per page. You can get the pictures to drop in this way at the same time.

I can't say for sure if this is the best way, and I don't know anything about XML, so I can't say how that would work.

• 4. Re: Workflow question:  XML or DOCX?
                MW Design Level 4

Both methods of getting your data into ID have pluses and minuses. Of the two methods, data merge has the smallest learning curve. I would likely use XML. Either method, use a sample  class or two of data and create your styles and get them in place so you can have the import or merge be more predictable.

Mike

• 5. Re: Workflow question:  XML or DOCX?
                  RealRavage Level 1

Good day

So I converted the Data I have over to XML, and I can import it with the tags and such.  Seems to be working VERY WELL.   BUT   (you know there was going to be one)

When I imported the XML it asked if I wanted to create a link.  I did so!   but if there is a change to the XML fie I would like it if indesign would update the document through the link?  I havent figured that out yet.   Any thoughts?   BTW: I dont see the link icon at the top of the frame that the xml was input into.

• 6. Re: Workflow question:  XML or DOCX?
                    MW Design Level 4

The link is in the Links Panel. Highlight the XML in the Links Panel, down at the bottom opt to Update Link.

Take care, Mike