6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2013 10:44 AM by gvmm RSS

Can't select text in CS6 split or design view

gvmm Community Member

Clicking on text in split or design view merely selects and hilights the enclosing div tag – not my intention.

I used to be able to double-click (repeatedly) and sometimes break this behavior, but no longer. Only way out now is to dive into the code and select text in there. Not very helpful.

I tried a right-click to bring up the contextual menu and experimented with Element View. Both options (full and hidden) are greyed out. Clicking reset did nothing.

I have tried all the modifier keys – no joy. And I have searched the app documentation in the more obvious spots and come up dry. I was about to use Find "select" in Acrobat when it occurred to me that someone else must have run into this, too.

I'm on an iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, running Mac OSX 10.8.3, DW CS6, Version 12, Build 5808.

Am I missing some perfectly obvious toggle? Or is my Mac not passing along the double-click to DW? Or is this simply another instance of Satanic possession that I have come to associate with my intermittent forays into website design?

TIA

Richard Hurley

Grass Valley MultiMedia

• 1. Re: Can't select text in CS6 split or design view
          Nancy O. CommunityMVP

Are you in Live View?  Turn it off.

Are you using APDiv Layers? Disable CSS. 

Go to View > Style Rendering > untick display styles.

Nancy O.

• 2. Re: Can't select text in CS6 split or design view
            gvmm Community Member

Are you in Live View?

No.

Are you using APDiv Layers? Disable CSS.

No APDiv layers. I have some AP graphics inside divs. Just out of curiosity, is there a Disable CSS switch somewhere? Or do I have to unlink stylesheets?

Go to View > Style Rendering > untick display styles.

Well, that lets me select text all right. Thanks. It seems like a pretty violent cure, though. I swear I remember being able to select text in split or design view before, without any hassle. I find it a convenient way to navigate to particular chunks of code.

• 3. Re: Can't select text in CS6 split or design view
              Nancy O. CommunityMVP

Without seeing your code, I can only guess that something is amiss. Can you show us a URL to the problem page?

Nancy O.

• 4. Re: Can't select text in CS6 split or design view
                gvmm Community Member

http://www.bearriverbooks.com/pages/events.html

(When I'm not doing multimedia, I write historical fiction.)

Whew!

I'm a very intermittent web guy, and I thought for sure someone would write in and say, "click the stop-selecting-divs-and-start-selecting-text button that is right in front of your face!"

Whoah! Stop the presses!

I just went to test the other pages on the site, and they all responded to double-clicking. So I went back to the page cited above – and it behaved properly, too!

So now I have an intermittent problem. Oh boy!

I know I am not imagining this, because it has been driving me wild for months – every time I go to maintain this site, in fact. I've even displaced the container div with my frantic double-clicking.

I wonder if there is something that is preventing my double-clicks from registering correctly. I have an Apple Magic Mouse, and they are occasionally prone to misbehavior. Next time I get this symptom in DW, I'll plug in a USB mouse and see what happens.

Thanks for the input, Nancy. It was helpful in narrowing down the list of potential villains.

• 5. Re: Can't select text in CS6 split or design view
                  Nancy O. CommunityMVP

You have many irregular HTML tags.  <h1-faded> is not valid code.  It should be expressed as:

<h1>Title</h1>

or possibly:

<h1 class="faded">Title</h1>

I suggest scanning your code for errors and fixing them. It might help alleviate the problems you're having. 

Code Validation Tools

------------------------------------

CSS - http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

HTML - http://validator.w3.org/

Nancy O.

• 6. Re: Can't select text in CS6 split or design view
                    gvmm Community Member

Thanks, Nancy!

<h1-faded> is a typo, but there is basic inconsistency in the code that marks events as past. I'm a visitor to web design, so I tend to kludge together ad hoc code to get me through immediate tasks and problems. Thanks for reminding me about the validation tools. That will make it easier to iron out the site when I get a breather!

Richard