3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2013 2:50 PM by Sham HC

XSS: OWASP ESAPI Taglibs

ronald.ploeger Level 1

Hi,

I have seen that "com.adobe.granite.xssprotection-5.5.4.jar" is using OWASP ESAPI under the hood.

Why doesn't Granite make the ESAPI Taglibs (http://owasp-esapi-java.googlecode.com/svn/trunk_doc/latest/org/owasp/esapi/tags/package-s ummary.html) available?

Then one could for example use

<esapi:encodeForHTMLAttribute>${myvar}</esapi:encodeForHTMLAttribute>

which in my opinion is cleaner than using the "xssAPI"-object in scriptlets in JSPs.

Best regards,

Ronald

• 1. Re: XSS: OWASP ESAPI Taglibs
          Sham HC Level 7

Hi ronald ploeger,

xssAPI on top of esapi take care of CQ-specific things like escape non-URL characters in path etc.. Additionally in future might change/add additional library  apart from ESAPI due to these reason the xssAPI api is made available rather than exposing esapi taglib.

Thanks,

Sham

@adobe_sham

• 2. Re: XSS: OWASP ESAPI Taglibs
            ronald.ploeger Level 1

Hi Sham,

Thanks for your answer. I see.

I guess it would be good to have a CQ specific taglib similar to the one provided by ESAPI. This would enable developers to keep JSPs clean of scriptlets and enable them to use expression langauge, e.g.

<cq:encodeForHTMLAttribute>${book.title}</cq:encodeForHTMLAttribute>

Best,

Ronald

• 3. Re: XSS: OWASP ESAPI Taglibs
              Sham HC Level 7

Hi ronald,

There is already a supporting tab library for XSS protection. An example to apply policy to an HTML source string to clean it up is [1].

Document request was already been placed.  Might be some of the functionality you are looking would be missing. Please file daycare with business case.

[1]

<%@ taglib uri="http://www.day.com/taglibs/cq/xss/1.0" prefix=“cqxss” %>

<cqxss:out><%= attributename %><cq:xss:out>

Thanks,

Sham

@adobe_sham

1 person found this helpful