7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2013 6:57 AM by Eugene Tyson

Embed images in indesign

tingleman1

Hi all,

I have an indesign file that I need to save and send to someone. The problem is the images are linked to different locations on the hard drive. I was just wondering if it is possible to embed images within indesign? So images are saved inside the the indesign file.

Any help or pointers would be great, Thank you

tingle

• 1. Re: Embed images in indesign
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To embed the images you can go to the Links Panel - select all the images and choose embed from the flyout menu

You can embed the images - but it's not always ideal - as say if you have a logo then it's embeded into the file, if that logo appears elsewhere and the images are unembedded then you get 2 or 3 versions of that logo - and same with any image really that is used repeatedly. It makes it much harder to update images across the entire publication.

Usually you just edit or replace the link.

I think a better way is to do a file SAVE AS and save the file to a folder.

You can then use File>Package on the duplicate file and it will collect all the fonts and images used in the publication.

You can then ZIP that entire folder and email/transfer ftp/dropbox or whatever method suits.

• 2. Re: Embed images in indesign
            tingleman1 Level 1

Thanks for your reply Eugene, I have done what you suggested, the file is 12 mb, how can I be sure that all images are packaged within the stand alone .indd file?

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Embed images in indesign
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Open it.

Bob

• 4. Re: Embed images in indesign
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is there now a links folder inside the package folder?

• 5. Re: Embed images in indesign

You should see in the links panel that they are embedded.

I still recommend you use the File>Package and then zip the packaged folder.

• 6. Re: Embed images in indesign
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can embed the images - but it's not always ideal - as say if you have a logo then it's embeded into the file, if that logo appears elsewhere and the images are unembedded then you get 2 or 3 versions of that logo

Eugene, if you're implying that an embedded vs. linked version of the logo might output differently, I don't see that. If I export a PDF with versions of the same image embedded and linked Acrobat's object inspector tells me they are identical.

While it's true file size could be a problem if you are embedding many different hi res images, it's not necessarily a problem if you are repeating the same image. Here I've embedded a 500K image once, then step and repeated it 8 times and there's little change in the file size:

Screen shot 2013-04-23 at 9.34.14 AM.png

• 7. Re: Embed images in indesign

No not implying that at all.

I'm 99% sure there was an issue with unembedding images before where it would create duplicates of the repeated images when they were unembedded?

Maybe that problem no longer exists (or ever existed, maybe the dust is starting to clog).

I've just tried there and there's no issues at all - maybe I was going off old information.