10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2013 2:07 PM by wojtczak

How to import styles with imported Word doc.

wojtczak Level 1

Annoyingly, I managed to do this earlier on today, and now I cannot :-(

I followed the instructions here: http://www.adobe.com/designcenter-archive/indesign/articles/indcs2at_styles.html

Type tool> place > [word doc] and underneath that choose Files of Type "Microsoft word" and "show import options".

Inside import options, ticked Customize Syle Import.

Now, when I did this before, in "Style Mapping" it had copied over all the Word styles into Indesign. However, now, although I am doing the same process, all the Word styles are stull listed, but the right hand list, of Indesign styles, no longer has the Word list copied! It says "New Paragraph Style.

What have I done to lose this? How do I put it right?

Cheers

Helena

• 1. Re: How to import styles with imported Word doc.
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just copy and paste the text into InDesign.

Make sure in Preferences Under clipboard handling you select All Information

• 2. Re: How to import styles with imported Word doc.
            wojtczak Level 1

Really? That is new to me, I have always read that you must always use Place> select document.

I'll give it a go and get back to you...

• 3. Re: How to import styles with imported Word doc.

Well the reason you have no Styles in InDesign is that there are no styles to map it to. That's why the New Paragraph Style is coming up in the Place option.

If you copy and paste the information in it will import all the styles again.

The only other option is to recreate all the  styles you had before and then Map them when placing the file.

If you have an older file that has these styles you can go to the Paragraph Styles and use the Load All Styles from the flyout menu - you can then load the styles from another InDesign file.

You can then use File>Place and Map those styles again.

Mostly I just copy and paste the Word file content to InDesign - and then use the clean up tools in Grep like double spaces, multiple paragraphs etc.

There are numbers of ways to do it.

• 4. Re: How to import styles with imported Word doc.
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

wojtczak wrote:

Now, when I did this before, in "Style Mapping" it had copied over all the Word styles into Indesign.

Not likely. In the import options try selecting preserve styles and formatting from text and tables instead.

• 5. Re: How to import styles with imported Word doc.
                  wojtczak Level 1

Hi Eugene and thanks for helping me.

"the reason you have no Styles in InDesign is that there are no styles to map it to. That's why the New Paragraph Style is coming up in the Place option"

Honest, Peter, they did! I was thrilled to bits, I am not misremembering this, I promise!

But just an hour ago all the styles came up in that Customize Styles Import Box. But I had a problem with the frames, so I used the "undo" function to remove all the Word text from Indesign while I sorted that out (which I failed to do) and then when I tried it a second time it would not work.

OK so I tried the copy and paste option you described and it is not bad at all! Thanks for that.

The 700 footnotes have lost their connection to formatting and are in 12pt when they should be in 8pt. Do I have to change all 700 by hand, one by one? They show no style at all.

I still have not fixed the text frame problem, either. I want all the text frames to be vertical-aligned to "justify". So I set up the Masters like that, and also Page 1. But once I flow all the text, those are the ONLY pages which are justified. Surely I don't have to fix each and every individual page by hand?

Cheers

Helena

• 6. Re: How to import styles with imported Word doc.

You can use Type>Document Footnote Options to apply a style to your footnotes.

If you've set it up on the master page the you need to unlock the text frame from the master page first then paste intot that frame. Click the red + icon to load the cursor with text. Then shift click on the next page - that should apply the text to all the pages using the master page.

• 7. Re: How to import styles with imported Word doc.
                      wojtczak Level 1

"You can use Type>Document Footnote Options to apply a style to your footnotes."

Yes I did that. I have created a style, but the footnotes did not change because they aren't assigned a style. I think I will have to do every single one by hand. (Welcome back, RSI!)

I don't understand what you mean by unlocking a frame from the master.

The text is all inserted now so surely I cannot paste the master frame to all the document pages?

Thanks!

• 8. Re: How to import styles with imported Word doc.

No you can't - if the text is residing in frames that are not on the master then you'll have to delete all your pages bar the first page.

Then select all the text in the frame on Page 1.

Cut the text

Delete the frame

CTRL (CMD) click on page 1 to unlock master

Paste text in.

Press red icon in the bottom right corner

Insert a new page

Shift Click on page 2

That will insert the text into all frames using the master page

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: How to import styles with imported Word doc.

Using Find/Change go to the GREP tab (Make sure you select the "Include Footnote " icon)

Type in

~F.+

And in the Change to - click on the empty box

Go to Paragraph Styles in the dialog

And choose the paragraph style you want to apply

Click Change All

1 person found this helpful