5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2013 10:32 AM by MW Design

"Vector mapped" layer in an open PS file?

Birck Level 1

A client has asked me to send a file with the type on a separate layer which he refers to as "vector mapped". I know that I can lay in an AI type layer and save the file as an open .PSD file, or lay it in as a vector smart object and send it as an open TIFF file (along with the original AI file), but the client is using CS2 and can't deal with VSOs. The way around it, of course, is via a layered AI file with a placed image, but what is he referring to with hte term "vector map"?

• 1. Re: "Vector mapped" layer in an open PS file?
          MW Design Level 5

You asked this question a couple days ago. Same with the question in the AI forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1196240

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1196195

Mike

• 2. Re: "Vector mapped" layer in an open PS file?
            Bo LeBeau Level 4

I'm assuming the client just wants the text as live editable text layers (rather than rasterized text - no longer editable)

Live text layers will output as Vectors. Rasterized text will only output at the resolution of the image.

If the client is placing your file in InDesign, you need to save your document as a Photoshop PDF rather than a PSD.

A PSD file with live text placed in InDesign will only print at the resolution of the Photoshop document.

A Photoshop PDF with live text placed in InDesign will print at the resolution of your printer/output device.

Save your photoshop file from the File Menu, Save As and select Photoshop PDF from the pull down.

Don't try to save as a PDF by any other method.

• 3. Re: "Vector mapped" layer in an open PS file?
              Birck Level 1

Bo, thanks for the clear description of the process. Now I have to dig into Acrobat to find out about layered PDFs.You mention not saving as a PDF by any other method. You mean leave it as-is, as a PS PDF, rahter than running it through Acrobat?

• 4. Re: "Vector mapped" layer in an open PS file?
                Birck Level 1

Mike, thanks for taking a look. I still have a problem with it. "the unflattened AI or PS file with live type" doesn't work for me in PS, as a .PSD file. The type always winds up rasterized. Does the term "Live type" mean something in particular? I can't use a vector SO because the client is using CS2. In the end, what worked (I think) is a  2-layer AI file with a placed image. I sent him 9 different versions, 4 PS, saved as .PSD files, and 5 AI versions, a couple of which worked. None of the PS files worked. Unless the term "Live type" actually refers to some accessible tool in the apps, I see no way to save a PS file with a copied-and pasted type layer that will remain a vector layer after the file is saved. What am I missing?

(Later) I figured out what I was missing. I was able to get Illustrator type into a .PSD file as a layer, leave it there, close the file with the layers unflattened, then reopen it and edit the still-vector type layer. It stayed in vector mode. I did it using two maneuvers no one on the forum has mentioned so far. 

Thanks for the help, guys.

• 5. Re: "Vector mapped" layer in an open PS file?
                  MW Design Level 5

Can you share a PSD file? If you don't want it public, feel free to upload to your server or dropbox.com and share the link via a Private Message (click on someone's name and go to their user page). Link is in the upper right.

Live type is simply text/type that one can edit as type.

Take care, Mike