13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2013 2:52 PM by puzzledgranny

Has anyone had this problem with CS3 and loss of the internet?

puzzledgranny

I know this seems weird, I have asked loads of people and no-one seems to be able to solve my problem.

I have recently installed Photoshop CS3 on a newer PC which runs Windows 7 Home Premium, after the programme was locked on a PC running Vista which died on me and which I have just had repaired. However since installing the programme, every time I turn my PC off and then on again next morning, I have lost the internet.

I have been getting around the problem by running the HP network check and the automatic repair that it performs is to "reset the Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Adapter". However this only works until the PC is turned off again and then I have to do the whole process again. Is there a way to fix this problem permanently? I was hoping there would be an update from Adobe that might sort the problem, but Adobe don't seem to be able to help with that as they say the programme is too old and don't have online support for this.

I have followed everything that is suggested by HP i.e. rebooting the modem and router.

If I reset the PC to before the programme was installed the problem goes away. When I reinstall the problem comes back. Its definitely to do with the Photoshop programme, but I don't understand why.  Does anyone know the answer?

• 1. Re: Has anyone had this problem with CS3 and loss of the internet?
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

I hate to ask, but where did you get photoshop cs3 from?

• 2. Re: Has anyone had this problem with CS3 and loss of the internet?
            puzzledgranny Level 1

I bought it from Amazon.  It worked a treat on my old PC for about three or four years.

• 3. Re: Has anyone had this problem with CS3 and loss of the internet?
              Noel Carboni Level 8

On a wild hunch...  If you can do so easily, check to see if the following file has a lot of stuff in it:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Normally it's a very short text file with only  something like 17 lines in it, which are virtually all comments.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Has anyone had this problem with CS3 and loss of the internet?
                puzzledgranny Level 1

Have had a quick look, in total there are 20 lines of text.  None of it makes sense to me.

If you think that the solution lies within the last three lines, the first of which reads

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself

The next two entries say local host

- I will show this file to someone who understands computers better than me

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Has anyone had this problem with CS3 and loss of the internet?
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

No, what I might have expected to see if that was a problem was reference to Adobe, specifically.  Yours is probably okay.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Has anyone had this problem with CS3 and loss of the internet?

I guess let's assume you have a real copy of photoshop cs3, since you didn't say it wouldn't activate and that generally happens to people who got

a fake version of photoshop after several years especially when installing on anther computer and i didn't mean to imply anything by asking where

you bought photoshop cs3.

As far as i know i haven't heard of any versions of photoshop interfering with internet access in general, so i don't know of any updates from adobe that would fix such a problem.

Are you using wireless or a wired connection to that particular computer?

Are you on a network with other computers?

Windows 7 is on a new pc and not the old one that died that had vista?

Have you tried running the built-in windows troubleshooter for the internet connection in the Network and Sharing Center?

• 7. Re: Has anyone had this problem with CS3 and loss of the internet?
                      puzzledgranny Level 1

The photoshop version is genuine.

I am using wired connection.  The router has four ports and the other PC which runs vista is in one of the other ports.  It also has photoshop on it as I can't deactivate it, although I've just read somewhere on the internet that I am allowed to use this version of CS3 photoshop on two different PCs.  I didn't know that.  Perhaps I don't need to deactivate that at all.  I thought I was doing something naughty having the programme on both PCs even though I have tried to take it off the first one.

I haven't networked the two computers although the latest PC was networked to two other computers when some of my family lived here last year, they did the networking.  I've just looked through explorer and the old PC is showing as on the network, but I can't connect to it.  I don't know enough about networking to connect the two.  I double clicked on its name through explorer and a network error came up so clicked on diagnose which told me that the new PC was configured correctly but that the device was not responding.  Another network problem perhaps or maybe part of the same one, I don't know.

Windows 7 Home Premium is on the new PC, the other has Windows Vista Home Premium.

I have tried using the windows troubleshooter but it isn't as successful as the HP Network check which at least finds the fault and corrects it until the PC is turned off, I don't understand why that fix can't be permanent.  Windows troubleshooter can't find the problem at all.

The only solution I can see at the moment is to leave the PC switched on all the time, but my husband says NO, take photoshop off, thats the problem.  I'm beginning to think he is right.  I'm spending so much time trying to solve the problem I'm not getting any enjoyment out of using photoshop at all.

My head hurts!

• 8. Re: Has anyone had this problem with CS3 and loss of the internet?

I'd try unistalling cs3 and you can always reinstall the program.

Even though you allowed two installs you should be able to deactivate cs3.

Is the reason you can't deactivate cs3 on the vista machine because you can't connect to the internet or the the deactivate menu item is grayed out in cs3 on the vista machine?

Also, it would be a good idea to contact adobe to find out if your photoshop cs3 serial number is valid:

http://www.adobe.com/support/download-install/supportinfo/

• 9. Re: Has anyone had this problem with CS3 and loss of the internet?
                          Level 7

Photoshop is not the problem.

Photoshop cannot cause your system to lose it's network connection - at least not with the code as shipped from Adobe.

• 10. Re: Has anyone had this problem with CS3 and loss of the internet?
                            puzzledgranny Level 1

I can't deactivate on the old PC as the menu item is grayed out.

I have contacted Adobe about the problems I have had installing on the new PC and they have given me a different serial number.  I have told them that when I put the disk into the new PC it allowed me to install but then didn't ask for the new serial number, but the programme worked find, just this niggling problem with the network.  Its all a bit weird, but yes, I am thinking about deactivating CS3 on the new PC and then reinstalling.  I guess I can do that as many times as I need to until this issue comes right.

The internet works fine on the Vista PC.

• 11. Re: Has anyone had this problem with CS3 and loss of the internet?
                              puzzledgranny Level 1

I've just had another look at the old PC.  The deactivate does not exist on the help menu.  Neither does it on the new PC.  I only installed this on the new PC the other day and registered it straight away.  Wonder if this is because I wasn't asked for the new serial number when I put the disk in.  Think I'm going to uninstall but don't know if its the right thing to do.  I can do a system restore to a date before I put CS3 onto this PC.  I know I wasn't having any problems at any time before the programme went on, just every day since.  If its just a weird coincidence I'm about to find out.  I'm going to do a system restore.

• 12. Re: Has anyone had this problem with CS3 and loss of the internet?
                                Level 7

If deactivate isn't there, then the product probably isn't activated and you're just running the 30 day trial.

It might be there but grayed out if you have activated and deactivated too often lately.

• 13. Re: Has anyone had this problem with CS3 and loss of the internet?
                                  puzzledgranny Level 1

I know people don't believe me, I've just done a system restore and I have the internet straight away.  Does that mean that my version of CS3 is dodgy?  I've run this for over three years and until I got this PC I didn't have any problems.I will try and put CS3 back on again tomorrow and if it does the same thing again, I shall do another system resotre and give up.  Its baffling everyone.  Its a nuisance but at least I still have it on my old PC.  I shall just have to get used to Vista again. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah