9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2013 6:05 PM by GPAreMyFav

How do I prepare a file for YouTube?

GPAreMyFav

OK so I don't honestly know where to start and exactly how to describe my issue, so bear with me.

I am on the younger side of Video Editors, in my teen years to be more precise.

But I have a passion for creating Gameplay commentaries (Y'know, I record myself with a webcam and I record my screen with a screen capture software, then I jumble em' together and ship it off to YouTube or elsewhere?)

I have recently been exploring the world of Codecs and things, as before I hadn't given much thought to it.

Now, I am wanting to upload videos to YouTube in 720p HD.

I am getting a jumbled, scrambled brain after trying to make out in my head what all these Codecs and things mean.

So basically, I guess I need help on a few areas in particular:

What exactly IS a Codec?

What Codec should I be using to get the best out of 720p HD?

Why are there so many different Codecs?

__

Can someone just explain these things to me, please?

Thanks to you all!

• 1. Re: My Brain Is A Jumbled Mess.....
          shooternz Level 6

Use the Youtube H264 preset.

• 2. Re: My Brain Is A Jumbled Mess.....
            GPAreMyFav Level 1

Thanks for the response!

Rendering out the video now according to what you said.

But another question that arose, is that in the render preview window or whatever, now there are black borders around the video.

Will that still be there after rendering is done/it is put on YouTube?

• 3. Re: My Brain Is A Jumbled Mess.....
              shooternz Level 6

Match your Source with your project Sequence settings first before exporting.

Also..Choose suitable export settings.

• 4. Re: My Brain Is A Jumbled Mess.....
                joe bloe premiere Level 5
                in the render preview window or whatever, now there are black borders around the video.

Do this to be sure your sequence matches your footage:DragAndDropCS6.png

What exactly IS a Codec?

COder / DECoder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec

What Codec should I be using to get the best out of 720p HD?

It depends entirely on your intended delivery.

In your case, for the web - H.264.

Why are there so many different Codecs?

Because there are many, many different possible delivery targets.

• 5. Re: My Brain Is A Jumbled Mess.....
                  GPAreMyFav Level 1

Thanks JoeBloe!

Well it's been a day and I have re-recorded the footage, YET AGAIN.... But it is exporting now.

I don't quite understand what your graphic is supposed to show me? And the reason I re-recorded was because after the file was done exporting, my face cam in the top left corner was shaking up and down about 2 or 3 pixels each frame....Annoying and I don't know what it happened.

I've done everything I can do get stuff to turn out perfect.

Right now it's rendering as follows:

H.264

YouTube HD 720p Preset 29.97 frames or whatever (<-- What does that mean? Why not 30?)

Thanks so much!

• 6. Re: My Brain Is A Jumbled Mess.....
                    Level 4

I can say from personal experience that having a brain that is a 'temporary' jumbled mess is not uncommon among certain types of people. Like myself for example.  Artists, poets, philosophers (sp?), politicians, conservatives, progressives... the list is endless...

The timing code to make a video "frame" when broadcast know when to go to the TOP of the frame and start the next frame is why it's 29.97 instead of 30....it takes time for the little electron gun to go from the bottom of CRT to the top to start the next frame.

Luckily everyone is getting away from these nit picky technical issues and we can just get on with life.

GK Chesterton in the late 1800's said something like, " Progressives live to make mistakes, and Conservatives live to keep from correcting them ".

So my brain continues to compete with the intelligence of my pet doggy, Yanna, who was half wild animal. If you let her off the leash ...she would RUN !

No sense at all, IMO....

• 7. Re: My Brain Is A Jumbled Mess.....
                      Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Although humorous, I'm changing the title of this post to make it more discoverable. Hope that's OK.

• 8. Re: My Brain Is A Jumbled Mess.....
                        GPAreMyFav Level 1

Thanks for everyone's help!

The video is done rendering out and I am pleased to say it is uploading to YouTube.

But, upon opening the file I noticed that a lot of it is cut off it appears? I recorded my full screen but I am not seeing the whole thing.... I dunno how to explain it.

And for some reason my Facecam video file is shaking a lot still after being rendered. How do I prevent this?

• 9. Re: My Brain Is A Jumbled Mess.....
                          GPAreMyFav Level 1

OK well here is the link to the video.

It is showing like a "zoomed" version of the gameplay and my webcam is flickering horridly.

Someone please help me..... Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3jBDDR3TOo