• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is RoboHelp not displaying the required data content of <>.chm when linked as Help in my App ?

Apr 23, 2013 Apr 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gorgeous Hello All,
Has anyone encountered the below-said show- stopper. Another BIG TIME help required, will help me in tremendous fashion.
Am using Adobe RoboHelp, Version 10 and IE version being 10.
In my local machine :
1.)I have completed my technical writing courtesy Design editor
2.)Generating chm File : View -> Pods –> Single Source Layouts -> Right Click on Microsoft HTML Help -> Tagged Set as Primary Layout
3.)Generating Primary Layout : File -> Generate -> Primary Layout (Microsoft HTML Help)…
4.)Viewing Primary Layout : File -> View -> Primary Layout
Everything works FANTASTICALLY till here with the required output (as Hide, Back, Refresh, Home, Print, Options, Contents, Index, Search, Glossary and with the data contents)

Show Stopper, At my Application Server :

5.)I copy the entire robohelp project folder from my local machine to my application Server path

6.)My Application has been developed in ASP .NET, Version 4.0.

7.)Help link has been created in this application wherein here the file name of < >.chm has been linked in the code to be read from the  Server’s RoboHelp project folder\!SSL!\ Microsoft_HTML_Help\

8.)I login into my above-said application -> click on the Help page -> Displays the required structure /buttons as Hide, Back, Refresh, Home, Print, Options, Contents, Index, Search, Glossary

a.)Clicking on any of the Books or Topics appearing beneath Contents : The System prompts out with error cautionary message called “ Navigation to the webpage was cancelled. What you can try: Retype the address

*** This is a huge SHOW-STOPPER. I spent plenty of hours on this, but unable to deciper with a solution at all) ***

( Note : Am able to directly open and read the required data contents by Clicking on any of the Books or Topics appearing beneath Contents from Server’s RoboHelp project folder\!SSL!\ Microsoft_HTML_Help\ < >.chm )

Why is the RoboHelp not displaying the required data contents of <>.chm when linked as Help in my Application ?

Cheese – Vipin Nambiar

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

If you looked at the error message and searched the forum, you should find the answer as this is a problem that started in 2005. You should not run CHM files from a server and cannot without editing the users registry. See the page below.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/chm_mspatch/896358.htm

All along your questions have been based on webhelp, why suddenly are we going go CHMs.

See Snippets on my site for the correct form of help to use in different scenarios.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you looked at the error message and searched the forum, you should find the answer as this is a problem that started in 2005. You should not run CHM files from a server and cannot without editing the users registry. See the page below.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/chm_mspatch/896358.htm

All along your questions have been based on webhelp, why suddenly are we going go CHMs.

See Snippets on my site for the correct form of help to use in different scenarios.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

chm files having a gaping hole in vis-à-vis to security hazards was a news to me Peter. Thanks for enlightening me.

For your kind info : It was not a sudden to switch over to CHMs, I had made a conscious and planned effort to have my help being written in both webhelp and chms

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp