2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 7:37 AM by tfbkny

CS6 Unexpected file format

::Ion::

Hello.

Sorry my english, it's not my native language.

Flash CS6 was crashed and when I trying to reopen .fla file, it shows error dialog "unexpected file format". How I can repair this file?

• 1. Re: CS6 Unexpected file format
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

rename its extension to zip and try to unzip it to extract its assets and add to a new (uncorrupted) fla.

failing that, use a zip repair to try and repair the zipped file so you can unzip and extract its contents.

failing that, use a decompiler to decompile a working swf to a working fla.

and, whether that all fails or not, learn a lesson about creating sequentially named backups so you never lose all your work again ( project_01.fla, project_02.fla, etc)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS6 Unexpected file format
            tfbkny Level 1

I agree that nothing can ever replace backups, but you can't seriously "scold" users for "failing" to frantically creating sequential backups of their fla files every 5 minutes... I would safely assume you'd agree there.

In all cases, thanks for listing the possible options to attempt recovery.

Let this be a reminder for the Adobe team on this specific product, to fix this issue and implement a recovery feature (such as auto save with backup) to be able to revert to the last or previous to last saved version so that in case of corruption there would always be a slightly older copy to revert to, lifting the burden from users who shouldn't be expected to become compulsive flash files "backuppers" because of a software glitch requiring such insane manual workaround. Another possible fix would be that to add a recovery option starting a wizard to fix corrupted flash files automatically instead of just throwing an error which is the most unhelpful thing a program can do.

Incidentally a software is expected to work saving the files without corruption, if the saving routines aren't bug-free, then it's not up to user to fix software problems, or having to bend over backwards to make something work... That's the sole responsibility of the company selling the software in question, especially when the issue is not such a rare occurrence, and it has been around for years now. That said having a script duplicating a last saved file would appear to be the only way to somewhat have some peace of mind while working with an application plagued by a bug causing corrupted and unrecoverable files after simply saving it.