6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2013 7:02 AM by Ronald Keller

Set Navigator zoom percentage

richardn Level 1

Hi there,

I've asked about this before and had some complicated answers, but I'm sure there must be a simple answer.

Does anyone know if there is a way to set a default zoom percentage value in the Photoshop CS6 Navigator panel?

I normally zoom in and out using the CMD and + - keys, which give 12.5%, 16.67%, 25%, 33.33%, etc.

I would like to set the value at the bottom left of the Navigator panel to 31.5%, then click and somewhere and save this as one of the default settings, so that it would replace,33.33% or come between that and 25%

A bit of a strange value I know, but I've found that this value gives me an image on the screen that is the same size as what I get out of the printer.

It would be great if I could do this, as it's a bit of a bind having to type in 31.5 over and over again in the Navigator.

Richard.

• 1. Re: Set Navigator zoom percentage
          conroy Level 5

richardn wrote:

Hi there,

I've asked about this before and had some complicated answers, but I'm sure there must be a simple answer.

If you haven't found any benefit from newer versions then you could go back to Photoshop 13.0.1 which has the View > Print Size command.

• 2. Re: Set Navigator zoom percentage
            richardn Level 1

Hi Conroy,

Thanks for the reply.

Are there some benefits in the newer versions that would help me with this matter?  I'm still using 13.0.1 because of all the scares and problems I had with the "going back a trial a version".

You're talking about Print Size but I don't understand it and can't make it work. 

Are there some setting that you have to enter?

If so, where can I find out how to do this?

I usually print out at 300dpi, but haow can the program know this without being told, and how can it convert that to account for the dpi of my iMac.

When I use it at the moment it zooms the image to 24%, and that is nowhere near what I want to see.

Honestly I really need a simple run through of this, as I can't understand all the technical jiggery pokery other people were throwing at me the last time I asked about this.

Any information, or a link about this Print Size feature would be most welcome.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Set Navigator zoom percentage
              conroy Level 5

There's nothing in the newer versions than 13.0.1 to help with getting a print-sized view. The newer versions have removed 'Print Size' command, therefore I thought you were using a newer version.

The zoom level set by View > Print Size depends on a pair of values in Preferences > Units & Rulers, namely Print Resolution and Screen Resolution.

Set Print Resolution to the document resolution, 300 ppi for example.

Set Screen Resolution to the resolution of your monitor, which is the width in pixels divided by the width in inches.

Print Resolution = 300 ppi and Screen Resolution = 95 ppi will result in 31.67% zoom when you do View > Print Size.

• 4. Re: Set Navigator zoom percentage
                Ronald Keller Level 4

In order of View > Print size to work you need to tell PS the exact resolution of your monitor.

Measure the actual horizontal (not diagonal) dimension oy your monitor in inches. Look up the resolution of the monitor via Control panel > Display > Screen resolution. Divide the number of pixels by the horizontal inches you measured.

Enter this result in Preferences > Units and Rulers > Screen resolution.

Ronald

• 5. Re: Set Navigator zoom percentage
                  richardn Level 1

Thanks to both Conroy and Ronald Keller.

At last a couple of people able to explain things clearly!

I worked my screen resolution out at 94ppi which gives me a zoom percentage of 31.33, close enough to what I wanted.

In the end it wasn't difficult.

Thanks again guys.

• 6. Re: Set Navigator zoom percentage
                    Ronald Keller Level 4

Well, now that you know your monitor resolution enter this 94 ppi in Preferences > Units and Rulers > Screen resolution.. Now you can simply press F4 to view your photo at the print size.

Ronald