4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2013 7:08 PM by Mylenium

Can a pc's performance affect a final render?

CopyN'Paste

I started a comp with a C4D animated boat but what I've noticed is that during the rendered video some frames are missing. I tried to set and reset C4D with different render settings but the result doesn't change. Since I saw tons of C4D tutorials I thought the problem wasn't the program but the pc.

my specs:

i7-2600 CPU 3.40 GHz

8Gb RAM DDR3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Nvidia GTX 550 ti   1Gb+3Gb shared

• 1. Re: Can a pc's performance affect a final render?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you sure the frames are missing? It sounds like you may have rendered to a lossless codec that is not capable of real time playback. We need to know a lot more about your project to be of any help. I can't even tell if this is a C4D question or an After Effects question.

• 2. Re: Can a pc's performance affect a final render?
            CopyN'Paste Level 1

I'm sorry, I'm new with compositing and video editing.

It's actually a C4D question I'm asking. I rendered my animation in .mov and then I realized, while I was checking the .mov to see if everything's all right, some frames appear completely black not only in themain render but also in the multi pass and object buffer more than once in the video. All of this before importing in After Effects. I just can't understand why those frames are missing even though I specify location, frame range, output, save, multi pass, and object buffer.

I hope it could be useful to knowthat I imported the boat's 3D model from 3Ds Max in .max exstension.

PS: sorry again, I'm new with this things, I still don't know what's a codec or what's its main function...

• 3. Re: Can a pc's performance affect a final render?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will find more help on C4D forums than on this one for this problem. You should find out what the rendering settings are in C4D. They could be anything from uncompressed to jpeg QuickTime. My preference for rendering from 3D apps is to render an image sequence.

• 4. Re: Can a pc's performance affect a final render?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Never ever render clip files from a 3D program! Sorry to be so harsh, but that's about the most stupid thing you could ever do. The whole thing could crash in the middle of the night and then all your rendered frames would be useless in a damaged file. Always use image sequences! That aside, you are not providing enough info about your render settings and scene project settings in C4D, but I would assume that simply the framerates don't match between the two.

I imported the boat's 3D model from 3Ds Max in .max exstension.

How so? That's impossible. *.max is a proprietary, parametric format not readable in any other programs than MAX. You probably used a converted 3DS or FBX file.

Mylenium