3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2013 1:25 PM by Stormcloud492

CMYK black type looks too dark after converting to RGB

Stormcloud492 Level 1

I sent a newsletter design off to the printer and was then asked to convert it for use on the client's website. I converted all the colors to RGB except Black, which as everyone knows can't be converted or deleted. So I created a new black in RGB R=0 B=0 G=0. Then I applied it to all my paragraph and character styles. I noticed that this new black seems darker than the in the document I sent to print. For most of the type, the difference is not a problem. But where the black type appears against a gray background it is especially noticable. As an experiment, I converted one paragraph to the RGB black and left another in CMYK. The RGB type appears too heavy and the type looks less clear. What am I not understanding?

• 1. Re: CMYK black type looks too dark after converting to RGB
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you giving the client a pdf for the website? I think you may be overcomplicating this. When you choose your pdf export settings, you can choose RGB. You don't need to make any changes to the original document.

• 2. Re: CMYK black type looks too dark after converting to RGB
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The appearance of CMYK black (0|0|0|100) is controlled by the document's CMYK profile—on a printing press 0|0|0|100 is not absolute black.

If you want to override the profile and force 0|0|0|100 black to view as absolute (0|0|0 RGB), set Preferences>Appearance of Black to Display all Blacks as Rich Black.

If you want your RGB black to imitate the profiled CMYK black make a 0|0|0|100 swatch and convert it to RGB. The default Adobe RGB to SWOP CMYK profiles converts 0|0|0|100 to 39|37|37.

• 3. Re: CMYK black type looks too dark after converting to RGB
              Stormcloud492 Level 1

Yes, I'm emailing them a pdf, which the web administrator will add to the website.

I had changed the document color settings from CMYK to RGB. Then I thought I also had to convert the Swatches. As usual, I am guilty of thinking that things are far more complicated than they really are. So I didn't have to do any of that?!

I just now changed the "Transparency Blend Space" to Document RGB, following the instructions from an error message. Then I generated a low-res PDF with Colour Conversion: Convert to Destination (Destination: sRGB IEC61966-2.1). All the blacks now look consistent.
              Thanks!